Bangkok - Restaurants and Must-Sees??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to go on my honeymoon and have a few days to spend in Bangkok. Could anyone suggest some great restaurants? I am really into food and want to try everything from very traditional Thai that may be very casual but authentic to even some high end places. Anything that might be worth it! Also, any off the beaten path must-sees?

Thanks!!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM

If you ask bob (rhkkmk) I am sure he will send you a copy of his comprehensive list of BKK restaurants.
IMHO nothing beats the street stalls for casual, cheap, and delicious food. Choose a busy one populated with lots of locals and you want go far wrong. They are all over the city.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi Crellston, thanks for the idea - I will email rhkmk and ask. I can't wait to try the street stalls as well!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Bob is not a street food advocate. We are. The orange juice that is readily available is great. When Bob sends you his restaurant list, I suggest you figure out where a good place is and plan an activity around there. There's lots to do in BKK, so that won't be a problem.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM

If you are intersted in the traditional arts of SE Asia, consider a visit to the Prasart Museum. This is a private museum, you must make reservations, and there is only one party at a time allowed onto the grounds. A docent will show you around. It's an amazing indoor-outdoor display of arts.

Do you like house museums? If so, consider the Suan Pakkard House, where the famous laquer pavillion is located.

Some of my favorite restaurants: Face, Lemongrass (Bob doesn't like this one), Chote Chitr. There are zillions of wonderful palces to eat. Don't feel obligated to just go to places that get recommended here.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM

kathie, thanks for mentioning both of these house museums....we have fallen short lately in suggesting them....they are very worth while....prasart takes about 1/2 day, SP only about an hour....

i have sent my list to you....

plan on spending 1/2 or less on a splurge meal than you would at home, if home is usa....way less if its UK or europe...
but be forewarned that wine is outrageous in price....skip it and drink beer or just have one glass of wine....

biscotti in the 4 seasons hotel on wireless is a fabulous restaurant and fun...make a res...
have a drink at vertigo on top of the banyon tree hotel on sathorn or at the sky bar on silom in the state building...dress nicely at both places...
the rang mahal buffet on sundays in the rembrandt hotel is simply fabulous...make a res there too....ask for a window table...
kinaree on soi 8, sukhumvit is a nice middle of the road thai place set in a garden...

dim sum for lunch at the liu restaurant at the conrad hotel on wireless rd cannot be beat...order from a menu of 42 items...fantastic....we will be going there for our first lunch in november with gpanda...
the loft on the 7th floor of central chitlom dept. store is a good take for lunch....food is fresh and reasonable...unique concept...
the cafe at the jim thompson main store on suriwongse remains a favorite lunch place and is right up the road from the meridien where i think you said you will stay...

harmonique, tongue thai, gallery cafe, river city are all within walking distance of the meridien....there is also another restaurant in the neighborhood of the hotel but its name escapes me....also along patpong II there are some good restaurants including the venerable Le Bouchon....
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM

must sees:

grand palace
wat arun
wat pho
v-mark palace
prasart museum
klong tour of thornburi, with stop at king's boats
as many rides on the river as you can accomplish
flower market
soi cowboy at 10PM+
ride from end to end of the skytrain

shopping:

MBK
weekend market--not for the faint of heart
platinum shopping center
river city shopping center
paragon shopping center
gaysorn plaza, expecially floors 3 and 4
thai crafts in the basement of intercontinental hotel
jim thompson outlet on soi 93, sukhumvit, 4th floor
pratinum market--not same as above, but nearby
pantip--electronics, music
all along silom rd
silver near to new road and oriental hotel
custom made clothing all over the city...
jewelry from a reputible shop--sapphires, gold and rubies
central chitlom store--direct access from the skytrain
central world plaza
emporium
and on and on....
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM

also monthly markets put on by the thai craft association....look for their schedule on their site:

www.thaicraft.org

also periodic clearance sales of jim thompson...look for schedules on their website...
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM

bookmarking