Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Oriental or Peninsula

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 12:39 AM
Anna

We will be stopping-over in Bangkok for 2 nights in January. Should we stay in the Oriental or the Peninsula. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 03:09 PM
WayneY

Someone from this forum just stayed at the Peninsula Bangkok and recommended it highly. It's a steal at the promotional rate of $85 deluxe double/$115 one bedroom suite. As for it being on the "wrong side of the river," there are two complimentary shuttle boats exclusively for use by Hotel guests. But I'm reported this information second hand so I hope the writer posts a personal review.

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 06:27 PM
lynn

Hi - <BR> <BR>Just got back from 10 days in BKK. Last week we were having dinner on the Riverside Terrace at Oriental and watched the shuttle boats ferry back and forth from PEN the whole time. Although, having just spent 10 days in that city and 2 nights in the Garden Wing of Oriental, I highly recommend to try the Oriental. We got a deal from calling the Mandarin group directly. $290US per night for the Garden Wing. We stayed in room 161. They were even shocked at the price! They had to go check it with the manager before they would check us in. Fortunately, they had sent a confirmation so I had everything in computer printout on Mandarin Oriental stationary. <BR> <BR>In any case, if you can get a rate similar to ours, I would go for it. It was way worth it. One of the days I also did a day spa at the Oriental Spa. I was incredible. Even my husband thought the extra money was worth it and he never like paying more than $100 a night anywhere we go. <BR> <BR>Another consideration is the Westin Banyan Tree. We also stayed there at $105US per night. Excellent value. The best value of anywhere we stayed. All suite hotel. You get a living room with couch coffee table, desk, and a bedroom, 2 closets, and a granite bathroom with a separate shower and tub. And don't get me started about the hottub on the 53rd floor! What an amazing view to be floating around in the water looking out over the lights of BKK. Highly recommend. Don't let the location bother you. We heard many people talk about the location but, frankly, this city is a taxi city. You really don't do much walking to places. You walk around places, but not to them. At the Westin, we just walked out front and they would call a taxi for us. Most rides were less than $2.50US Only if we were going to the weekend market outside the city would it be over that. Also, NEVER had one taxi ride over $5US anywhere in the city. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. Just got back this morning. Going to dinner now. Feel free to ask me any other questions. <BR> <BR

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 03:13 AM
Anna

Many thanks !

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 12:15 AM
Jeff Rosenberg

Let me add my two cents to the discussion. Last year I stayed at the Shangri-la which was outstanding and right next to the Oriental. To me the Oriental is a bit too formal (like a Ritz-Carlton) where the Shangri-La was more glitzy (some would say showey). Even though the Pennisula has a shuttle service to me it's still on the wrong side and a tad inconvenient. Good luck on whatever you choose. I'll be staying at the Pan Pacific over New Years which is downtown for the incredible price of $88/night plus $30/day food credit.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 04:13 PM
lynn

Anna - <BR> <BR>I have to disagree with Jeff. We too thought it might be too formal and where very surprised at how comfortable we felt walking through the lobby and in our suite. The decor in the Garden Wing room was very warm and comfortable. As I said above, even my husband was pleased with our stay and he usually likes the cheaper places even when we can afford to spend more. <BR> <BR>One note about the Shangri-La. We had reservations there the 2 nights after our Oriental stay for the Krungthep Wing. We were very disappointed in the room for $210 per night and ended up going elsewhere. It was very cold and sterile feeling. I don't know if the regular rooms are better because we didn't see them. I had read on the net that the Krungthep Wing was the way to go at SL but didn't like it at all. <BR> <BR>I still vote for Oriental. <BR> <BR

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 09:54 PM
Sheryl

My husband and I just returned from 5 days in Bangkok at the Peninsula. I have been many times to Bangkok and stayed at the Oriental and the Shangri-La (always in a suite). This last visit we stayed at the Peninsula and the others PALE in comparison I have to say. The room was great, the concierge helpful and efficient, the airport transport (via brand new Mercedes and complimentary one-way; we found it so nice we paid a very reasonable price for the return) convenient, the pool was a real escape, the complimentary breakfast delicious (you can choose to have it in riverside cafe, room service, or the lobby area). I took advantage of nearly every service they had including beauty shop, their retail shops (bought lovely things at Jim Thompson's), their restaurants, and of course, their complimentary river shuttle boat. This is very convenient. I just can't say enough and I will not go back to either the Oriental or Shangri-La. I did have tea at the Oriental this visit and dinner at the Thai restaurant at the Shangri-La and both my husband and I found them lackluster compared to our place. And as Wayne says in an earlier post here, you cannot beat the Peninsula promotional prices now. Bangkok is great, you'll have a wonderful visit even if you don't take my advice as to hotel!

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 11:24 PM
Anna

Many thanks for all of your replies. We eventually decided on the Peninsula and could not be happier with our choice. The rooms (suites) are both spacious and luxurious and the service is incredible ! <BR> <BR>As for being on the wrong side of the river - it certainly had not been an issue yet, but we are just about to return to the hotel, so should we have any problems, I will let you know. <BR> <BR>Any questions - feel free to ask. Thanks again !

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 08:10 AM
Michael

We have decided it probably best to stay on the river and are choosing a hotel. The Peninsula sounds great. We are vegetarian and wonder if there is much of that kind of food available in the hotel?

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 09:25 AM
marta

If you can afford the Oriental, I say GO FOR IT. I was to their absolutely fabulous brunch buffet, wonderful time. The hotel is very plush. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time.

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 06:17 AM
erica

I stayed at the Oriental 6 years ago and it was great. Dining on the terrace was the best. I am now planning on going back and looking into different hotels on the river and the rates. Is the Royal Orchid on the same side as the Oriental? Any suggestions. <BR>Thanks