Bangkok on our own?

Search

Bangkok on our own?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok on our own?

Arriving Bangkok Dec. 30 late afternoon, flying to Siem Reap Jan. 1 late afternoon giving us about a day and half to see a bit of Bangkok.

We been to Bangkok and, last time, had a very extensive private tour of Grand Palace so do not plan to visit this trip. This time we are thinking of seeing Wat Arun, V-mek, Erawan Shrine, Jim Thompson House, and klongs. Would like advice on whether these items can be handled with time we have and what order is best.

Do we have time to fit in other things and, if so, what might you suggest (shopping is not desired).

We are not novice travellers so we think we should be able to do Bangkok without tour guide? Do you agree? We would appreciate advice on best ways to get around to/between these places.

Finally, for NYE, what are best activities and how easy is to get to them. I should tell you that we are staying at "lebua".

Thanks, you are always helpful.

DJ
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:26 AM

The full day is dec. 31. I would start with V-mek palace, Marble Wat (you did not mention this, but it's close to V-mek), taxi over to Erawan Shrine, short taxi to JT House, tour and lunch (try the Pomelo salad, I think it's the best in BKK), skytrain to Taskin Pier, Klong Tour have them drop you at Wat Arun, so you can wander. River ferry across the Chao Phraya river and then taxi back to the hotel.

I suggested this because the klongs are relatively cool in the afternoon. However, ignoring temperaturte, you could do more by doing the following:

taxi to Chinatown, wander though C-town, walk to pier, if you can get a klong tour from there, if not, take river ferry down to Taskin pier and get Klong tour from there, drop off at Wat Arun, wander, river ferry acroos river, taxi to JT house, lunch and tour, taxi to Erawan Shrine, taxi to V-mek palace and Marble Wat, taxi back to hotel.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 09:50 AM

You can certainly do Bangkok on your own. Taxi is convenient, but you can also do part of this via skytrain. For instance, there is a skytrain stop very near the Erawan Shrine, and you can go from there to the Jim Thompson House.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Bangkok - and certainly most of Thailand can easily be done without a guide. In fact, a guide would probably just get in the way. A good place to start is "What to see and do" at:

http://bangkokadvisor.com/What_to_se...in_Bangkok.htm
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:57 PM

Tedkarama, thanks for the link posted above. I hadn't come across it before and it appears to have some excellent info.