Bangkok Hotel???

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:41 PM
erik

Bangkok Hotel???

We have to choose between the following (all of course at different prices)- any input either way???<BR><BR>Pennisula<BR>Sheraton Royal Orchid<BR>Shangrila<BR>The Regent<BR>Crowne Plaza<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:21 PM
tina

Stayed at the Sheraton Royal Orchid last year. Loved it. Great location on the river, smashing views. Next to the boat dock and a shopping center. Wonderful Thai restaurant...ate there 2x. Beautiful cultural show with the most delicious buffet. Great amenities and staff. <BR><BR>Wonderful shopping in neighborhood....great designer 'copies': clothing, handbags, watches. An ATM and a 7-11 right across the street.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 02:56 AM
yy

Stayed at the Pennisula last year , it's a new hotel right by the river, great service, excellent rooms and food, pool is great too. A nice place to relax. Only thing is it's a little out of the way, but you can take the light rail into the centers of town very easily.<BR><BR>I would receommend it.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 03:02 AM
yy

Stayed at the Pennisula last year , it's a new hotel right by the river, great service, excellent rooms and food, pool is great too. A nice place to relax. Only thing is it's a little out of the way, but you can take the light rail into the centers of town very easily.<BR><BR>I would receommend it.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Tess

Stayed at the Regent and Peninsula in August. Both are great hotels that deserve the 5-star rating. If I have to compare, I'd say Peninsula has better rooms and view, while Regent has the edge in service and a more central location. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite at both hotels. Peninsula's suite was just lovely - from decor, use of space, all kinds of electronic control, to the unbeatale view of the right side of the river. There is more of a resort feel at the river hotels. The pool at the Peninsula is long but relatively narrow. Some people like it, some don't. The depth is the same across, I think, so diving is not allowed. But the cabanas were nice.<BR><BR>After Phuket, we chose to stay at the Regent to be closer to the city center. I really liked the location and the more direct access to the skytrain. No shuttle boat or waiting at the public pier to return was needed. I liked their restaurants better than the Peninsula's and I really appreciated their attentive service. For instance, as soon as we entered the pool area, the staff would approach us immediately and ask where we'd like to have towels and chairs set up. Drinking water and cold face towels would be brought next. At the buffet breakfast, a waitress was always nearby to help my 8 year old make his selection. While the Peninsula's service was by no means poor, it's not in the same league yet in my opinion. We dined at Oriental's Sala Rim Naam one night, their service was impressive also.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Kristina

The Peninsula all the way. We too stayed in a suite and it was wonderful. No faults with the service either.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Kathie

The Royal Orchid is my favorite. I always stay in the Towers, where a full breakfast in the club, evening drinks and hors d'ouvres and 24-hour butler service are all included in the price. I reserves a huge suite for my upcoming stay, at a remarkably good price. For the Towers suite, I found Sheraton's 800 number had the best rates.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:31 PM
bob

we just love the marriott resort and spa on the river....we will stay there again in nov---our 5th time...a bit out of the way but they supply a free boat on the 1/2 hour to the pier next to the sheraton...also stay at penninsula and just love it---a bit more formal but the rooms, as noted above are just fabulous...haven't stayed at sheraton but the lobby is just like any large us convention hotel....<BR><BR>the price is less at the marriott...it also has by far the best pool area in bangkok---bar none<BR><BR>crowne plaza has great location but is not in the league with the others