Bangkok, here I come... AGAIN!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my way to BKK right now. This is trip #20, since my first time in BKK during the summer of 2001. Guess I really like the place, eh?

LAX Red Carpet Club is my current location. I don't usually fly this route, because I start at ORD. My usual route is ORD to NRT to BKK. But I got a cheaper ticket by routing thru LAX this time. It's taking me about 4 hours longer to get to BKK... ugh... but I'm in biz class in the upper deck from LAX all the way to BKK, so that's not so bad. And I was in first class from ORD to LAX.

I've got a new crossword puzzle book, and a new sudoku book, plus the IVOD movies might be worth watching. And then, of course, there's SLEEP, which I always PLAN to do, but sometimes my plans don't work out quite so well.

I'm heading back to my favorite "home away from home" once again, at the Adelphi Suites on Suk soi 8. I am booked there for 13 nights, but if things heat up in BKK (red shirts that is) I will get out of town and head to Chiang Mai or Phuket or Samui for a few days. No problem. DS and a few of his friends, plus Maeng, will also get away with me.

I plan to do lots of shopping, once again. I hope I can get to Chatuchak, maybe Suan Lum Night Bazaar... have not been there in several years... plus Pahurat, Platinum, Pratunam, and maybe China Town.

Ken, don't forget about Quiz Night on Thursday at the Pickled Liver. Any other fodorites who might be in BKK and would like to help out "our" team, please join us! We do have a great time at the PL.

The big birthday bash is this Friday night at Tawandang. The list of people attending is growning! Anyone else? Michaelbkk, hanuman? I would need to know at least a day or two ahead, as we will need to make a reservation for our large group on a Friday night. The food is excellent, the beer is cold and really tastes great after being in the BKK heat, and the show on the stage is always worth viewing. DS's birthday... I won't say how many years because that ages ME!!! haha

Anyway, come on along with me to BKK. I welcome your comments, your questions, your suggestions, and your time reading my ramblings.

Carol
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

...that should be "The list of attendees if GROWING..."
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Have a great trip Carol, and stay safe... I am counting the days until I go in July, who knows I might meet you there again???
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There's more to Bangkok than shopping...

http://tinyurl.com/y4xp2vx
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Let us know about the red coats...I guess I mean red shirts (It is patriots day here and we just had the red coats in Lexington)..Stay safe
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Have a wonderful time, Carol. I am again looking forward to your live reports!
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:32 PM

For kerouac: I'm not sure Carol has even been to the Grand Palace yet (well, maybe she really has...) We all have our priorities.

Carol, enjoy your time in Thailand wherever you might have to go to cope with the current unrest - I know you will be just fine but stay safe none-the-less.

Looking forward to your (always) frequent updates...
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Have a safe trip over Carol. Will try to be there at Brad's birthday bash and will confirm a day before. Bangkok is tense, especially the area where you normally like to go to so just avoid the crowds and should be OK.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Have a wonderful time - I am headed also to Bangkok next week through LA also.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM

have fun and let us know how brad and ken together solve the bkk crisis that hanuman has been unable to resolve thus far...
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

I'm in Tokyo at the Red Carpet Club. I have to say, I can highly recommend the showers here! In all my trips via NRT (and many of them with time spent in the RCC) I never tried the showers. Never really KNEW about the showers until fairly recently. Well... it's a joy. It's refreshing. It's a nice break after that lang haul coming from the US, and especially when you go the long way, via LAX.

Craig, I saw the GP on my 11th and 13th trips to BKK (smile).

Evelyne, you just might see me here in July. I'm not sure yet when I'll be coming over this summer, but for sure, I'll make a trip in July or Aug or Sept.

Kerouac, thanks for that link. Interesting. I loved the first couple of paragraphs. It really sums up my feelings about BKK as well. And yes, there is lots more than shopping. I know that everyone thinks that shopping occupies the biggest share of my time, but that's not really true. I spend lots of time just visiting with friends over a cold beer or glass of wine, or maybe a salad or pizza. There are so many great places to just sit and hang out! And when it's so hot in BKK (April is the hottest month, you know) then AC is needed. And often!

I really never understood the idea of hotel rooms without windows! I can't imagine! But DS is staying at one right now! He's at On 8. Not my sort of choice, I can tell you. I need to look outside. I need to see the sunshine and the thunderstorms and the rain as it approaches the city! I need visual proof that 3:00 on the clock is daylight or nighttime! Give me a large picture window.

Sunshinememphis... if we are in BKK at the same time, we could maybe meet up somewhere. Stay tuned to this thread, as I will be posting everyday. There's a chance I'll slip out of the city for a few days in Chiang Mai or Samui. Don't know yet.

Hanuman, would love it if you could make it to the birthday bash. Please invite Dang and your daughter to come along as well. I promise you a fun group of people. Thais, Danish, expats, Americans, tourists, military, etc! You already know Maeng and Ken and Brad (and me, of course) and MichaelBKK if he is coming. Michael? Are you in BKK right now? And I think you met our Danish friend who designs/sells barware and dinnerware.

I promise to stay safe. I will avoid the red shirts, even at the expense of my shopping! I don't plan to get myself into any troublesome spots. And I'll check in everyday to let you know what I've seen!!

Carol
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 12:51 AM

Eat some sashimi at Narita for me Carol! I like chu torro with some cold sake to wash it down....
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 01:57 AM

I took a shower at Narita on our first trip. It really reinvigorated me. Of course, I was not in Biz class, so I had to use the facilities for us deadbeats. It was still wonderful, even though I had to wash my own back.

I'm sure Carol will be careful and avoid any problem areas. I's also sure she will provide on the ground reports of the goings on.

What color tops will you wear?
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:47 AM

This trouble makes one think a bit about the colores in your travel wardrobe...Red shirts/blouses might end you up on the wrong side of some barricade. Neutral earth tones the way to go!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Hi Carol,
Hoping the rest of your travels go well and that you manage to calm things down once you arrive, perhaps wearing a red and yellow patterned shirt!
You may recall that we almost met up in Bangkok Jan of 2008 but my dh picked up the nasty norovirus that attacked me on the flight over and I wasn't quite sure how to get to the PL on my own. I have to say that that flight over was THE WORST I've ever had and spent several hours in the loo at 35,000 ft after splurging on Bz tickets. UGH
We'll be looking forward to your reports from the ground and I'm fondly anticipating arriving at Bob's fav place the Riverside Marriott and Spa Jan 2011.
Sue
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Come on Carol ,it is time to get out of bed and give us your first impressions. Like everyone else I am distressed at what is happening in Bangkok . Having been to my second home even more times than you { who is counting !} the situation there has concerned me very much. I unfortunately stay right in the middle of Ratchaprasong as most of the business I do is around my hotel.With all places closed around me I have been waiting, reading and speaking to friends on a daily basis and have been kept well up to date. They all tell me this time nothing will be resolved quickly, be very careful about where I am going and perhaps go elsewhere as many hotels have now closed also,including mine. Have stayed at all the usual places down by the river, all very fine but this time I may just leave and go to Chang Mai, although I see grenades were thrown into two branches of the Bangkok Bank there last nite. No one hurt.
Indonesia [ Sanur and Ubud ] are calling and I am thinking of going there first and see how Bangkok develops. Have been to Bangkok during periods of military coups,bloodshed and violence and seen enough.Many of my Thai friends have no work and are worried.
Hanuman I feel for you and hope you and your family are safe,
Carol, do be careful if you are out and about away from your " home " away from home.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:00 PM

Hi Carol -

I leave for Bangkok on the 28th of April thru May 5th on business. I honestly am not sure if I will have time. I have meetings in the morning of the 1st and then heading to the GP & Wat Pho with my vendor. Sunday I am looking at an all day tour. I am debating on doing the floating market, Thai show and shopping or Death Railway, Bridge on the River Kwai, etc..... I will let you know.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Sawasdee kah, everyone. It's 9:10am in BKK. I've had my breakfast and am just sitting in my AC for now, posting here on fodors.

I arrived last night at 11pm. By 11:30 I was sitting in a taxi, ready to head into Sukhumvit. I think I had the slowest taxi driver in BKK!! I kept wanting to say, speed it up a bit! Anyway, made it into the Adelphi without problems. Got checked in, dropped my bags, and headed to the Pickled Liver. DS was there, waiting for me to arrive.

Maeng was happy to see me, as I was happy to see her again. On my flight(s) from the US, I watched an episode of "Cheers" and I thought to myself, the PL is a bit like Cheers bar. Everyone knows your name, everyone is friendly. Everyone is happy to see you when you come back again.

Maeng fixed a plate of garlic shrimp... I think it was even better than I remembered! That, plus a couple of small cold beers, helped me chill out (in this heat) and unwind.

I have to tell you a true story that DS told me last night. DS has yet another BKK newbie with him here this time, but the friend is only here for about one week. They have been to the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, etc. They went by BTS to MBK yesterday late afternoon (dear friend thought it was the greatest place on earth!). The friend saw the sea of red shirt protesters, and wanted to WALK THRU THEM!!! So they did!!! Nothing happened. They were not beaten, they were not kidnapped, nothing happened. Obviously they were the only falongs in that sea of red. One man asked DS, in Thai, "What are you doing here?" and DS answered, in Thai, "We just want to know." In other words, we want to see for ourselves and find out what is happening.

They bought red t-shirts as souvenirs. "Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt." DS says, mom if you want to go there, we can do that. I passed on that idea!!! But I wanted to report what DS and his friend did... call them crazy, I guess.

Called Ken on the phone this morning. We will meet at PL at about 5:30 and go to dinner "somewhere"... to be determined. Maeng will pick me up at noon and we will venture out to JJ Mall for some retail therapy. JJ Mall is next to Chatuchak, but is open everyday, not just the weekends. I do like this mall alot.

Everything is closed from Siam Discovery all the way to Gaysorn Plaza, says DS. I've not been out and about yet, so I cannot confirm that. Maeng also says that red shirts have set up a tent camp in Lumpini Park. I asked about going to Suan Lum Night Bazaar, and Maeng sort of swayed me against it, since the tent camp is right nearby.

What color is MY wardrobe? I'm like Maeng. I don't want to be a color. I just want to be ME. I have lots of light weight white tops and light color light weight pants to wear. It's really HOT HOT HOT in BKK, so thin fabric is the best.

Bkklover, are you here right now? Your reply makes it sound as if you are in the city. If you want to relocate to a quieter area, move down to Sukhumvit soi 8! Everything is just as usual here.

sunshine.. no problem. I understand a packed schedule in BKK. Been there, done that. Now, I just come and chill out and shop. But if you see time in your schedule, let me know! You said you are also flying via LAX. For me, that was an unusual routing, as that is the l-o-n-g way to BKK from ORD. Have a good and safe flight!

Looks like we may head to Chiang Mai on Monday to stay for a couple of days, returning to BKK sometime on Wednesday. No tickets yet. We're still just talking about it right now.

suehuml, yes, I remember you! Maybe January 2011 will be the right time to meet. I will be in BKK once again for the holidays, I would imagine. I will probably be here until about the second Monday or Tuesday after the new year. I don't have a calendar in front of me right now, and we have no reservations just yet, but if we do what we've now been doing for the last two years, that will be about the time I head back home.

BKK is calling me. Time to head out the door. My apartment building will have service work done on the AC system today, so it will be toasty in the apartment most of the day. A good excuse to be out and about, I'd say.

I'll check back in later!

Carol
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Welcome back Carol.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 09:55 PM

Welcome back Carol. It was even hotter here last week, believe it or not. I agree about avoiding Suan Lum, at least for now. Maybe next week...

Does Maeng know about the market behind Thai Airways HQ? That would probably be a good alternative to your favorite Silom market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -