Bangkok fire

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok fire

Hi,
I just read on the news about the fire, what's the status on that?
Pam
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:23 AM

what news?
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Apparently there was a huge fire through the slum in downtown Bangkok, in the area of the embassies and 5-star hotels, I couldn't remember the name of the area. I saw it in the papers online first thing this morning, but it's not on their site anymore, so maybe it wasn't that big afterall?
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 01:32 PM

Yes, it was a 'biggy', smoke very high in the sky, no mass injuries, There are a huge number of wooden buildings, together with heat, fires spead really quick, it was very big, but it certainly is not a catastrophe type thing. The Fire service responded quick, Heard close to Manhatten Hotel though not sure. Fires happen often and the dry wood naturally burns, there would again naturally in slum areas be no sprinklers/extinguishers etc. Open cooking gas stoves also a hazard. Nothing though to effect anyone's plans.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:50 PM

This event kind of scared me since the city is in a high state of alert do too some messages that were sent too the South Korean and Pakistani embassey stating thailand and some Asian countries are targets do too the Iraq maess.

The news about terorist threats in thatiland are not new. last year some plans where thwoarted where major hotel where targets during the APEC meatting.

but I got a good scare becouse as I napped I heard a loud pop outside and I quickly turned on the TV too see if if was a bomb. and what appears on the screen is a bunch of smoke billowing from somewhere in the city. the news was all in thai and the reporter sounded streessed. I thought "here we go again", but after jumping on the net and channel surfing I started reaolizing. it wasn't the big one.

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:11 PM

I admit Orgy that was 'my' first thought!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:37 PM

According to the Bangkok Post:

A huge fire in the Suan Phlu area yesterday afternoon razed 700 slum houses, and badly damaged a block of flats inhabited by police officers and their families, leaving more than 6,000 people homeless.

Witnesses said the blaze started at an empty two-storey wooden building in the Suan Phlu Pattana community, in Sathon district.

All 700 houses on the surrounding 20-rai plot, belonging to the Treasury Department, burned to the ground.

The fire also engulfed a block of flats located behind Wat Phraya Krai police station, housing the families of around 50 officers.

In addition, officials evacuated 300 detainees from the Immigration Police Bureau in Soi Suan Phlu, fearing the fire might spread to the site.

There were no reports of injuries.

Police were also unable to confirm the cost of damage, or the cause of the fire.

Sathon district office chief Prasarn Bamrungpan said the Thai Red Cross and several charities were providing assistance to those affected by the blaze.

He said temporary shelters would be erected at Rajamangala Institute of Technology's Borpitpimuk campus.

Metropolitan police chief Pol Lt-Gen Thanee Somboonsap said separate shelters would be set up for the police officers and their families.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:03 PM

jeez I hope nothing happened too the imagration ofice I have too go next week for a visa extension... and I've yet too find out if my ex girlfrands brother is all right he lives in the district. I hope alll is ok. we are ploanning on going too the rocket festival up in his village next week as well.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

good to hear that there was no massive injury report. Thanks for the update.