Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and third location for Thailand visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2023, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm planning a visit in October and am looking for insights from seasoned Thailand travelers. We have 8 days, and will definitely be in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I'm looking for a third location for a quick trip. I'm not planning on going to any islands. We are considering Chanthaburi or Khon Kaen, but are open to other suggestions. If you'd like to provide advice on the itinerary in general, I'd welcome it. Here's what I'm thinking: 3 days in Bangkok (possible day trip to Ratchaburi - not sure) followed by a night train to Chiang Mai. (My son really wants to go on a night train. If you've taken it, I'd love to hear pros/cons.) Three days in Chiang Mai (possible trip to a national park on one of those days). Fly to third place for 1.5 days. Fly to Bangkok for final day. I thank you for any suggestions!
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 01:44 PM

Does your 8 days include the day you arrive in Thailand and/or the day you leave Thailand? Or is it 8 full days in Thailand not counting the international travel days? In any case, those two destinations are enough for the time you have, If you had more time, then the third destination would be Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 12:01 AM

You say you are "planning" a trip. If you haven't booked flights then you may want to think again. October is still the rainy season. We have been there at that time of year and been ankle deep in flood water. Towards the end of the months things should start to improve as the dry season draws closer.

Regardless of the weather, with 8 days I would not add a third location (and certainly not a second country). Every time you change location you will loose half a day of your "usable" time in transfers, checking in and out etc. which will eat into your 8 days. Two centres is about right for the time you have.

Bangkok - It is a massive, sprawling city and there is more than enough to fill three or four days. Location is key to getting around this massive city efficiently. I would either stay somewhere on the Chao Praya river or close to the BTS mass transit system - possibly around Siam Square or Sukumvit Road. The river buses are a surprising effective (and very pleasant way of getting to some of the main sites like the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Chinatown etc. Any guidebook will set out the main sights.

Chiang Mai - is much smaller and more manageable than Bangkok. I would stay somewhere in the Old City, around one square km right in the centre. Being smaller, it is easier to get out into the the countryside on day trips. Where depends on what interests you. If you did want to add a third destination you could consider Chiang Rai . Two hours away by bus or car so it is possible on a day trip but if you could engineer a Saturday night there, the Saturday Walking market is well worth a look (IMO, much nicer than CM's night market)

The Train - I like train travel and have done the trip between CM and BKK in both directions. Going north from Bangkok is much nicer. Very atmospheric as you hit the hills as you reach Chiang Mai as dawn breaks. On board there are first class cabins which you get to yourself. Be aware that they set the aircon at the level of a refrigerator so it can be VERY cold. In second class the seats convert to bunks which are curtained off at night. I prefer second, much more fun. For more info see https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

NB I used to love travelling from Huamlampong station but this has now closed for most trains and replaced with a new, out of town station. Not sure that it will be quite so enjoyable now? Also, there is no getting away from the fact that the train takes approx 12 hours compared with and hour flying (plus transfer time). If it is just a train experience your son is looking for then local trains still operate from Huamlampong and Ayuthaya makes a nice day trip.

Finally, you mentioned Ratchaburi . That is just the name of a province close to Bangkok. The main tourist attraction there is Dannoen Saduak, the floating market. Very touristy and nice for photo opps but personally , I wouldn't bother and would spend the time in the city.

Old Aug 31st, 2023, 02:53 AM

Please listen to crellston! He’s travelled extensively in this region and I would really reconsider traveling in October based on his advice.

We’ve only visited once but I also would recommend Chiang Rai. We really enjoyed the Saturday night market there. We also visited several wonderful sites, the very well known White Temple and the less visited, strange but fascinating Black House, a series of houses built by a Thai artist.
We hired Jermsak, a local guide and spent several days with him, which
really added to our experience of that visit. He was recommended on this board and many people have used him. He is one of the best guides I’ve ever worked with and a lovely man. I don’t have any current contact info but he has a page on Facebook.

Old Aug 31st, 2023, 05:30 AM

Mmmm not a lot of time, every change is another day …

Also it’s October, that’s the wet season – should be running down in the North but November is the turnaround month from one monsoon to the other.

Khon Kaen? I don’t know of a lot to recommend it as a tourist destination but it would be a good “Thai” experience.

Chantaburi is a beautiful town and area – but you could still get VERY wet weather in October….. and most of the coast east of there – I think it’s a great coastline and well worth a visit but you would have to be prepared for the weather.

(do you have a car?)

Problem is “1.5 days” – isn’t really enough – maybe slice a day off BKK?

If you are going to Ratchaburi, why not extend that and go on the Kanchanaburi?

There are some great national parks in that region – Khao Yok is particularly nice. There’s also the Erewan Falls although the Huai Mae Khamin and the Sri Nakarin Lake are better IMO.
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 10:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
On my earlier trips to Thailand I spent little time in Bangkok & just continued on to Chiang Mai. The more I visited the balance shifted & last visit in January I just stayed happily in Bangkok. Not saying don't go to Chiang Mai but I recommend more time in Bangkok & definitely, as others have said, do yourself a favor & don't add another location.

Old Aug 31st, 2023, 03:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not add a third destination. I would add the time onto Bangkok. I've been to Bangkok 5 times and am going back in February and there are still so many places I haven't been to and things I haven't done. Even though we will be in Bangkok for 7 days, it is still not enough, and we have spent a week or more there on previous trips. 8 days is not a lot of time even for two destinations, and adding a third destination will just waste at least a half a day with each travel day, leaving little time to see and experience the places you are going to.
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 05:35 PM

I have no experience in Thailand, but I am wondering if you have considered Ayutthaya, about an hour north of Thailand. Or is that still considered Bangkok? Or is that completely uninteresting? seems like it has a riot of interesting sites to visit.
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 10:53 AM

Ayutthaya, 90 min by rail, so a day trip
>> seems like it has a riot of interesting sites to visit
it does
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 04:00 AM

You can do Ayuthaya to Bangkok by boat - about 3 hours
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I know October is risky, but my son is teaching there and has the month of October off, so I'll visit near the end of the month, be prepared for rain and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice on hotel locations; that has been one of the overwhelming parts of trying to plan this. The idea of a third location, if only a day trip from Bangkok, was because he has spent time in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, and we thought it would be fun to spend a day in a smaller place that he hasn't seen.
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! Khon Kaen was on the list as a less touristy option, as you noted, but we decided it would add too much time traveling without experiencing anything.
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Yes, it does look interesting.
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 12:54 AM

Probably a bit late but here are some destinations that would be best with an overnight stop (or two) from Bangkok

Chachoengsao – Huge grey temple, town on the river.

Khao Yai National Park – plenty of accommodation and a chance to see wildlife (about 3.5 hours from BKK

Ayutthaya – Historical old Capital – river trips. (1.5 hours from BKK)

Sri Racha – Coastal town with access to Koh Loy and Koh Sichang / Koh Sichang - small island where you can stay overnight.(1.5 hours from BKK)

Bang Saen (Thai holidaymakers - beach, deckchairs and eating seafood) – 1 hr from BKK.

Hua Hin – fairly plain beach destination – good value (about 3.5 hours from BKK)

Pattaya – Urban – shopping, good value hotels and lots of eateries (under 2 hours from BKK)
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by pschmidt
Thank you!
you've posted a few replies here without "quoting" who you are replying to.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll pass all that on to my son, who has far more time to travel than I. I really appreciate your reply.

Last edited by pschmidt; Sep 28th, 2023 at 07:58 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

I realize that now. Sorry!

Originally Posted by khunwilko
you've posted a few replies here without "quoting" who you are replying to.
I haven't used these forums in a while and forgot how they worked. Sorry about that. I realize now that if I don't quote, the person I'm responding to probably won't see it, even though I replied to that person. Sorry for clogging up the works!
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by pschmidt
Thanks for the advice! I know October is risky, but my son is teaching there and has the month of October off, so I'll visit near the end of the month, be prepared for rain, and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice on hotel locations; that has been one of the overwhelming parts of trying to plan this. The idea of a third location, if only a day trip from Bangkok, was because he has spent time in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, and we thought it would be fun to spend a day in a smaller place that he hasn't seen.
Discovering less touristy areas can often offer surprising and delightful moments. Wishing you an incredible trip to Thailand with your son
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hewholovestravel
Discovering less touristy areas can often offer surprising and delightful moments. Wishing you an incredible trip to Thailand with your son
Thank you! Even if it rains every day, it will be good to see him again.