BANGKOK APARTMENTS--Suggestions? Bali?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for beginning yet another thread on this well-covered topic.

I am playing with the idea of returning to Asia early in 2013, during the US winter. Would like to have a couple of bases and take side trips from these. I'm open to suggestions about locations, but Bangkok seems like it might be one obvious destination. I've been to the city various times and this time I'm looking more for a place to relax, indulge in local foods, and swim than to do the heavy sightseeing rounds. My travel partner has never been to Asia.

The one non-negotiable factor is that the facility must have a large, preferably rectangular, pool conducive to serious lap swimming.

To give you an idea, my favorite Bangkok pool (and I've seen comparatively few) has been at the Four Seasons. So this rules out places with irregularly shaped or circular pools, with spouting fountains in the middle.

After that, proximity to Skytrain (or BTS?) is important, and would love to be within a walk of small shops, food stalls, etc etc.

Budget is fairly flexible, but would welcome any tips on how to maximize value, since we may stay a couple of weeks.

Please comment on the following, including impressions of the surrounding area as well as of the hotels themselves.

1. The Urbana Sathorn has the type of pool I am seeking, andy prices appear to be not much more than $100US per night, but it appears to be distant from public transport. http://www.urbanasathorn.com/reserve...nal&numrooms=1

2. Marriott Sathorn Vista looks excellent, too, with the benefit of a salt-water pool, but also appears distant from public transport. Anyone stayed here? comments?
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ve-apartments/

Thoughts on these..location, pool, service...

3. Somerset Sukhumvit

4. Ascot Sathorn

5. Pan Pacific Serviced Suites

6. Marriott Mayfair (small swimming pool??)

7. Marriott Sukhumvit Park

Any others I've missed? Any new ones with good deals?

Do these places generally include breakfast in the room rate?

Those are just the ones I have marked; please chime in with other ideas.
I realize that this topic has been covered before and I am extremely grateful for any comments or assistance from those familiar with the city.

I had originally thought of combining two weeks in Bangkok with 2 weeks in Bali, but it appears that the climates of these two destinations make the combination less than ideal....when it's cool in Bangkok, its high season and rainy in Bali....thoughts on this?

A million thanks for your help!!
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 05:42 AM

The serviced apartments I thought were nicest were at Emporium, but it may be above your budget.

Somehow, I always end up in Bali in Nov/Dec which is their rainy season, but I've never been put off by the rain. The only part of rainy season in Bali that is high season is the Xmas-NY period. Go in Nov or early Dec or mid-Jan and you'll miss the crowds.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Kathie: Thanks. As I mentioned above, my budget is flexible with no set limit. The pool at the Emporium looks to be free form but possibly with enough straight length to facilitate serious swimming. Do you agree? What is it that you like best about that particular property?

The time frame that is good for me will be, as I mentioned, the early part of 2013...anywhere from January through March, as part of the motivation for the trip is to escape the cold weather in the NE US.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:37 AM

I'm sorry, I don't remember much about the pool. The pool area seemed nice. I haven't stayed at the Emporium, just visited a couple of times. The apartments are very well designed, and feel like a couple of steps up from the Marriott apartments we visited. The location is great - you can get to the skytrain without going outside, if you wish. And the grocery store in Emporium has a fabulous selection. Both Cheryl and I said "we could live here" after visiting.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM

i thought of emporium too, but had no idea about their pool..

chatrium riverside has a very large pool and a boat to the skytrain

mayfair has a very nice pool but not sure about laps, and a fantastic neighborhood

marriott sukhumvit park might work well and is down the road from emporium with a free tuk tuk service to and from sukhumvit

there are several ascott properties to check out

i don't think you would be happy at marriott sathorn for a variety of reasons

why not see if 4 seasons would offer you a long term rate (over 14 days stay)?

not sure what conrad offers for swimming at its serviced apartment on wireless rd??

check out the various centre point options too
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Bobo I appreciate all that info.

But can you explain why you do not think I would like the Marriott Sathorn, please?

I have Ascot Sathorn on my list above...any comments on that one?

Kathie: Thanks again. We do not care much about the pool area, as we do not plan to be lounging around the pool much. What concerns me is the pool, where I plan to spend much time! All of your comments are much appreciated..
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 07:52 AM

I haven't been here but from the website and pictures the pool does look nice.

http://www.oriental-residence.com/
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 08:19 AM

the area is remote...

the rooms are not that comfortable, imo from my 1 visit there
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob!

Agent Hanuman: I knew I could trust you to come up with something interesting..that place looks absolutely gorgeous. We must assign someone to check out the size of the swimming pool and report back to HQ. I've added this to the top of the list..
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM

The Oriental Residences look lovely!
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

I'm keeping the Oriental Residences at the top of the list, and once I have narrowed down a few more, will begin pricing them out and comparing.

But what do you think of the last (July 10) TA review for the Marriott Mayfair--sounds ominous, but perhaps the reviewer just had bad timing with respect to fellow guests?????

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

Which is the most upscale of the Marriott Apart-Hotels?
Any particular Centre Point that you all would consider?
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM

The new Grande Centrepoint is a cut above the rest. The location is at Terminal 21 mall, Asok/Sukhumvit intersection. I know nothing about the pool. I've only checked out a couple of the rooms.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 02:42 PM

January/February/March will be rainy in Bali, but I don't think it will substantially affect the quality of your experience. Over a two week period you'll get the whole gamut of brief thundershowers, big storms, sunny days, overcast days, mixed days.

The good news is that except for Lunar New Year (February 10) and Easter (March 31) Bali is fairly quiet at that time. After January 10, rates decrease considerably.

A villa would be ideal for a 2 week stay, but it probably wouldn't have the pool you're looking for. What's your minimum length?

I have to think about resorts with good lap pools, ones that come to mind are Legian in Seminyak and in Ubud: Alila, Uma, Chedi, Como Shambhala. I'm a lap swimmer too and know how irritating those curves, fountains and steps can be.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM

i've stayed at the marriott sathorn. i had a one bedroom, and it was a very nice room, and i got it for under $100/night.

however, as bob said, it is rather remote, nothing around except for baan kanitha(something like that).

its a hike, over the highway, down convent road, to get to the sala dang bts. although i didn't mind the walk(about 10 min.)

how about columns on suk soi 16? i've stayed there too, and had a great studio for around $70. its next to a foodland, where i had great and inexpensive meals.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 01:06 AM

Emporium pool was absolutely fine and NOT freezing cold. I thought the rooms excellent (we had a 1 bedroom suite with a balcony) and the location for the skytrain was fantastic.
i have considered it again for my trip in Sept but i am trying to keep my budget down but would definitley look to stay again if i could get a deal.
I have been toying with the Oriental Residence too just not sure location wise if its right for me for a quick stay but for a longer stay it really does look fab. Kiwi collection have been doing a good rate.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

You guys are the best! I will check out locations and look at each of then sites and return with questions.

Marmot: At last I find a kindred spirit here about the swimming! I would say absolute minimum length would be 40' but would prefer 45' or 15 meters. I did find one Bali villa with a pool that length but they have not responded to my e-mail:

http://www.flipkey.com/ubud-villa-rentals/p186755/

Emporium pool looks good. And I added Grande Centrepoint Terminal 21 to my list; their pool looks good, too. (I had not looked at it because I thought it was at the airport from the name! )

How can it be that I have been ago Bangkok at least 5/6 times and still have not been able to make sense of the city layout?) Each time I plan a trip I feel as if I am going for the first time.

So how do these various long-stay companies rank as far as luxury--Chatrium, Centrepoint, Marriott, Somserset, etc etc?? Are some considered much more upscale than others? I guess Oriental Residences would be at the top of the heap, right?
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 06:33 AM

I don't know if a washing machine is important to you, but the new Grande Centrepoint Term 21 only has washing machines in their LONG TERM apartments. When I had my tour I asked about this because if I'm in BKK for 2 weeks, I like to be able to do my own laundry (I know, I know... it's cheap to get it done out on the street). Anyway, the hotel has some apartments that are rented by the year, by large companies from Japan and elsewhere, for their executives when visiting BKK. The lack of the washing machine was something that turned me off... but that's just me. The rooms have tons of natural light and fantastic views. The hotel is new and very modern.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 02:39 PM

You will have plenty of options in villas with 15-18 meter pools. It's the over 20M length that is hard to find.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM

i discount that mayfair review, BUT... i last stayed there 18 mos. ago..

i need to look up oriental residences..
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM

i will say however that mayfair may need some updating, but we found it clean and pristine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -