Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Air Discovery Pass- anyone used it before?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we are going to be traveling from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and back, from Bangkok to Siem Reap and back, and from Bangkok to Phuket and back, would we be best served with getting a Discovery Pass? And how exactly does it work?
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:52 AM

There are many dozens of reports on the Discovery Pass. Do a search here and read all the details on the Bangkok Air website, then ask any specific questions you might have. I think the Discovery Pass would serve you well.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi kathie- I've looked on the Bangkok Air website- but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. If I read it right, to fly from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and Phuket respectively, it would be $110 RT. each. From Bangkok to Siem Reap it would be $180 RT. Is that right?

My other problem is finding a travel agent to book it- the one I went to here wants to charge me $25 just to open the web page- and then depending on how difficult it is for her to purchase the pass she'll charge me accordingly.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:01 AM

You buy it directly from Bangkok Air, no travel agent needed.

Read about other people's experiences here on Fodors. There is an flight from Siem Reap to Phuket with a stop in Bangkok that counts as one international leg, for instance.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Not according to their website- unless you mean you can call them directly...I may try that!
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM

You can contact Bangkok Air directly in the US (if that's where you are)--they have a few offices throughout the country:
http://bangkokair.com/contact/?id=us

We just booked our Discovery Pass through them directly as well and it's a fairly simple process: give them the legs, the dates and they check for availibility. Once it's booked, you fax them a credit card authorization and you're all set. All in all, not much effort for a great deal. Best of luck!
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Wow- that's great info, thanks! I've just e-mailed the Chicago office and requested the dates we'll need.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM

We've used the Discovery Pass. They sent paper tickets after we sent a certified check. It was a little cumbersome, but worked perfectly.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Leaving for Thailand and Cambodia next week and will be using the Discovery Air Pass. They gave us an eticket when we bought it at their New York City office.
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Interestingly enough, I had a hard time booking a flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on New Years' Eve. It seems they don't run flights directly on that day, we would have had to fly to Koh Samui and then back to Bangkok, and they don't qualify as part of the Discovery Pass. It would have cost us $336 per person per leg! Yikes! So, we had to choose to fly to Bangkok the night before.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM

I just sent in my money order for 3 legs on BA in Nov/Dec 07 via certified mail. I'm planning to pick the tickets up in person here at their Los Angeles office next week. Will let everyone know how that works out.

All three legs (BKK-Phuket, Phuket-BKK, and Siem-Reap-Hong Kong) only cost $258 total with taxes included, which isn't bad considering that's how much the last flight alone seems to cost.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM

Got a call today from BA saying that they will send e-tickets by email. You don't have to pick them up in person or send $15 for them to mail paper tickets to you anymore.

Looks like they received my money order today. Will let everyone know how long it takes to get the email with e-tickets.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Wanted to follow up on my Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass experience. I changed my itinerary 2 days after I sent in my money order and they accomodated me, no problems. I sent in the money order for the difference in price on Wednesday, and just received my e-tickets today (Monday). Very easy process. Would definitely recommend them.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM

What if we only need 2 legs? I want to book HKG-REP and then REP-BKK. It will be less expensive to book the pass than to book the flights separately. Any suggestions? Can I leave the third flight "open" and just pay for a domestic segment? Or??? What should I say to the agent?
Thanks!
Liz
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM

If it's cheaper, I would do it. Get a cheap third leg that's $55, so somewhere within Thailand and not the BKK-Samui route (I suggest BKK-Phuket). You would have to book the leg when you make the reservation.

However, make sure you'll actually be saving money this way. Basically, international legs are $90 plus $25 in taxes. So both of your legs would be $230. $55 leg with taxes is $75 or so. So that's $305 for your two flights with the pass. Make sure it's worth it.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:10 PM

thanks smartcookie--

It's pricing out at $500pp from HKG to REP only, so we will definitely be saving some money!

I feel guilty about booking an extra segment we won't use. Can we cancel it after flying our first two legs so that others can get the seats? (We don't mind paying for the segment we won't use.)

thanks again
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM

i would not risk cancelling it....
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM

No. If you're going to do this, don't cancel. That would invalidate the pass as you need a minimum of three legs. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're not there, they'll put someone else on the flight. That's why they have cut-off times for check-in
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:43 AM

I just booked
HKG-REP
REP-BKK
BKK-Phuket (will not use)

and the total was $310pp

It's a total steal compared to the other fares I was finding.
Thanks for all of your help!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Once you've flown all of your legs you could cancel the last segment so someone else could book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -