BALI - URGENT!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Viktoria

BALI - URGENT!

My boyfriend and I are planning to spend two weeks in Bali from the end of December, 2001. Is there anybody who has been to Wina Cottage in Kuta? What is Kuta like? We have a reservation but - maybe a little bit late - I'm thinking to buy simply plane ticket (from Budapest, Hungary) and make hotel reservation on the spot or via e-mail. Is it so crowded over New Year's Eve that I should have reservation? Thanks for any answers!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 10:27 AM
balilover

Kuta is THE party place in Bali. If you like a busy, noisy, crowded place, well, that's it. A lot of Australian surfers.
If you are looking for a quiet holiday, it's definitely not the place. Suggest Sanur or Nusa Dua. Bali is a favourite holiday destination for Europeans over Christmas time. I would never want to arrive there without any reservation at all.
Enjoy and have fun wherever you will stay in Bali!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 09:49 PM
Gar

hi there,
agrees with above. Kuta (and the next village "Legian") is the party area. Loud, full, little more expensive, lot of rip offs ... all the things You can expect in an full touristic area. But if You wanna party You are quiet right here. If You wanna see the real Bali, the culture, the spirit ... YOU have to go to other places. The south is very expensive full of luxery hotels. Best places are the east and the north coast (Lovina is great and less tourist). Not agree with reservation, but depends on how much it will cost. There are so many hotels, You shure will get one. If You came up there late at night take a taxi, tell the driver how much You wanna pay and he gets You into one. So You have a hotel for the first stay. Shure he will get commision ... But You dont have too much hassle. Next day You can walk arround and look which hotel will fit You well. And the price is much cheaper without taxidriver. Dont know the price for Kuta, but arround lowina a nice cabin must be arround 10 US $ one day. If You bee there ask for "Geede" near the gas station. Great place, nice guy.
have fun
gar

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Vance

Take my word for it- Bali is very nice but not worth 2 weeks!

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 08:21 AM
marc

Dear ViKtoria,
don´t worry about finding a hotel as there are so many of them on bali everybody will get what he wants .
I would never recommend Kuta nor Legian, there is just one reason to stay there : if you want nightlife like dico ,bungee jumping etc.
If not avoid going there. If you let me know about your likes i would be glad to give recommendation.
Don´t worry bali is worth moore than just two weeks you will have a great time there.
Right now there are not as many tourists as usually around christmas, because of fear caused by 11.9.01
Greetings
Marc

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Jean

Havent been in Bali for two years - doesnt the hotel reservation desk still exist at the airport. That is where we got good accommodation at Taman Agung in Sanur.
We spent six weeks in Bali and didnt see everything.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Anne

Bali is a very friendly place. Kuta is nice but if you are wanting a quiet place to stay then Kuta is not the place for you. Agree with other respondent, Nusa Dua. Melia Bali Hotel is simply magic, but then again so are all the other hotels nearby. Beachwise: well, I think we have bettr beaches in Australia. Have a wonderful time - and two weeks is long enough.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Elaine

We went to Bali on our honeymoon and loved the island's beauty and the graciousness of the people was something else. The Balineese were truly a lovely people that made us feel very welcome. We stayed away from Kuta after reading many other's experiences on the Internet and stayed at the Melia Bali in Nusa Dua. Be sure you are at the right one as there are two Melia's there. Ours was right beside the Sheraton. We thought it was definately one of the nicest. The beach is beautiful. We had breakfast at the hotel every morning- excellent. We wouldn't want to only eat at the hotel and dinners out in the town were fun and cheap. We also did not see all there was to see in only 2 weeks. Ubud is very interesting. We hired a car and driver for the day and it was really inexpensive. You will have a wonderful time.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Kathie

I agree with others here to avoid Kuta, but I'd also recommend avoiding Nusa Dua. Nusa Dua is a tourist enclave located far from the traditional Bali villages. Personally, I like Sanur, but there are others who swear by staying in Ubud.

Bali is lovely and there is lots to see and do.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Brian

Looking at Bali for honeymoon, November 2002. How's the weather, looking for culture, beautiful beaches and tranquility, not hotel strips and nightclubs, any suggestions?

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 04:40 AM
Michelle

Hi Brian,

I spent two weeks in Bali in January, 2000. Had a blast! It is tough to find a beautiful beach in all of Bali, but the scuba diving is great (if you dive). I will say that the beaches are very interesting though. If you go to Kuta beach, there is a lot of surfing going on. Lots of Californian looking beachboys from Australia. My absolute favorite place in all of Bali would have to be Lovina (in the North part). It is simply magical and the best place to experience the culture and tranquility of Bali; some of the beaches aren't bad either. It is also very cheap (your dollar will go a very long way since the tourist traffic is low there). Bali is the #1 place in the world where woodcarving is taught. I met many foreigners who were living there (many from Europe) learning how to carve wood. It was fascinating. Did you know that the Totum poles; supposedly carved by the Inuit in BC Canada, are actually created in Bali and shipped to BC? If you go to Bali, Lovina is definitely not to be missed and I think it is your best bet for what you are looking for. Have fun and Happy New Year!