Bali Trip Planning Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my first trip to Bali next August. Only have 4 days in Bali.... I will be moving onto South Sulawesi to dive 10 days afterwards.

What are the top 5 things I should not miss out seeing while in Bali?

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM

I had 4 nights there, just like you. If you fly into Denpasar, you might want to visit Uluwatu Temple and spend one night in Denpasar.

The remaining days I stayed in Ubud and enjoyed the local artists. I didn’t’ buy much, though you could, I just looked. I really enjoyed walking in the terraced rice fields and through the villages.

The Sacred Monkey Forest & Temple was fascinating, but closely guard your belongings from the macaques.

Below is a list of the Top 10 things to do in Bali according to the website. With the short time I had there, I only did #1 and #8, but would recommend those.

http://bali.sawadee.com/attraction.html
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Bali has a lot to see and each corner of the island gives you something different. Most people hangs out around the southern part of the island but the east side and north side of the island (although less popular) will give you the glimpse of less commercial Bali.

If you stay at one of the major hotels, you can have them to book you a private car with driver to take you around Bali for 8 hours (around $40). It's pretty cheap, eliminate a lot of hassle and the most efficient way to see a lot of Bali. I would suggest for you to stay at the resort that has access to private beach so you don't have to waste time to travel to a beach (try hotels at Nusa Dua, Jimbaran or Seminyak). Melia Bali is one of the nicer and newer Hotel at Nusa Dua area (South Bali). It's a huge compound and has private beach (book directly through its website, usually cheaper and has discount).

For 4 days, you can see quite a few and still be able to enjoy a quite day at the beach or/and a water activity (scuba, parasailing, snorkeling, water rafting, etc).

Here are the places and/or activities I suggest you don't miss:

1) Ubud - see local crafts
2) Kuta beach - just because it's world famous. Sandy beach.
3) Pura Tanah Lot - has famous temple next to a cliffy type beach. I personally like this better than Kuta but if you could see both, why not.
4) Dreamland - less famous than the Kuta beach but a local's secret. It's less commercial but a lot of my friends rave about this beach.
5) Jimbaran - try seafood here. There are restaurants along the beach where you dine on the sand.
6) Tanjung Benoa (Benoa harbour) - only if you have time to do water activities (scuba, parasailing, etc).
7) Pura Luhur Uluwatu - famous temple perched on a high limestone cliff. Great for sunset. A must see.
8) Bali Museum - if you have time to see Bali cultures and history.
9) Sangeh Monkey Forest - a must see. You hike through the forest and meet face to face with wild monkeys.
10) Tampaksiring - this is used to be a presidential palace where Indonesia's first president had a grand view of the women's bathing pool
11) Besakih temple - the most important and must visit temples in Bali.
12) Mount Agung - still an active mountain but the sight is pretty cool and they have restaurant you can have lunch with a view.
14) Batubulan - visit here to see the famous Kecak Dance (Barong or Kris Dance). It's a must see.
15) In Ubud or other areas, also try to catch a Legong Dance performance.
16) Gianyar - catch a Fire Dance performance. It is a excorsist dance against spirit possession.

I highly suggest this book called "Bali, A traveller's companion" ISBN 9813018496. It is comprehensive and lots of pictures.

You can also check out Baliguide.com for more info.

Have fun!
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions!! Thanks so much for the info. With so much to see in Bali, I feel like I am now getting a handle on it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM

Just 4 days, not much for an island that has so much to offer. My top 5 not-to-miss-outs ...

1. Must eat - "Babi guling" (roasted suckling pig) and wash down with local beer "Tiga Bintang".

2. Must drink - Toraja highland grown gourmet coffee.

3. Must see - Ulun Danu temple that fringes Beratan Lake, a volcanic blowout in mid 20th century. Fresh market, spice plantations and local scenes around the lake will surely keep your camera busy.

4. Must do - wake up before sunrise and comb backstreet villages around Kuta, Denpasar .. wherever your hotel is ... and soak in local's morning ritual of dolling up and making a beeline to the "banjar" community temples.

5. Must enjoy - laze around Lovina Beach, unique shoreline that's carpeted by black volcanic sand.