Notices

Ubud on my own

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 01:52 AM
SD3
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ubud on my own

I have about 4 days to spend in Bali and would like to stay in Ubud. Do you have any hotel recommendations? I am a woman in my mid-30s and will be on my own - so not looking for a romantic setting but would like something beautiful and peaceful. My maximum budget is $150 USD/night. Also, it it worth spending one night in a beach area?

Thank you!
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 05:15 AM

$150 USD in Ubud is mega money. Way outside my bracket - and there are some wonderful places in garden settings in the town itself for a lot less (getting the LP or Rough Guide out from your local library will give you some ideas). If you stay at a super expensive place outside the town you will always have the hassle of getting taxis and stuff.

While you are there don't miss a dance performance in the grounds of the old Palacec; and take an easy walk out into the fields - any map if the place will show you where - and on the way there is a wonderful textile centre where you read about the different methods used to produce all those special fabrics; and projects to keep the skills alive; and you can buy too. If you are interested post again - and I will hunt around for the precise details in my very badly kept "travel box".

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 01:26 PM

while this is not ubud, and it is not far to travel...two hotels have fabulous deals that i am aware of at the moment: the bali hyatt has a $70/nite rate in sanur...and the new conrad has also a $70/nite rate just north of nusa dua....both are an easy commute ot ubud...

you might also contact www.balidiscovery.com as they have terrific rates available for a number of bali sites...
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:14 AM

I have travelled in Bali by myself many times and have lived there for months on end. No safety issues for a single woman. You will find everything in Bali is romantic, but I mean it in the original sense of the word in that you will find beauty in everything.
With 4 days, you could theoretically spend 2 nights in a beach local and 2 nights in the Ubud area. (IMO, it is not worth 1 night for the hassle of moving, so do 2 nights in each or skip the beach entirely.) Before you consider the beach, however, keep in mind that Balinese beaches are not beautiful white powder sand and azure waters. They are pretty, but the beach is not the point of Bali. There are some dramatic cliff areas and some long wide beaches, but again, there are more beautiful and spectacular coastlines elsewhere in the world. Also, with your budget, most of the more plush beachside locations are out of your range, and you would be relegated to secondary locations or really quite rundown budget places which have hung on to their beach location while waiting for the developers to bid on it (which is not the case in place like Ubud). One exception I would suggest you consider for the beach is staying in Kuta at Poppies Cottages. This is not a luxurious hotel, it is more like a nice 3 star, although their rock pool and winding gardens are the most beautiful in Bali IMHO. This hotel has no beach front, it is behind walled gardens in Kuta. Still, IMHO, a very magical place. It is a quiet haven in hectic Kuta. It is about a 5 minute walk to the beach which, like most beaches in Bali except those at the most expensive hotels, is public and full of hawkers and it is tiring after a while to keep saying "no thank you" to the offers of massage, drinks, etc. I would hang by the pool at Poppies and go down to Kuta beach for sunset, which is a nightly ritual for visitors and locals alike. You can also take advantage of the good shopping and restaurants in Kuta.
Poppies Cottages
P.O. Box 3378, Denpasar 80033
Bali, Indonesia
Telephone : (62 361) 751059
Fax : (62 361) 752364
http://www.poppiesbali.com
In Ubud, I have a list of favourite hotels which I will post tomorrow. Most if not all should be within your price range. Sorry to burst Alice 13's bubble, but US$150 will not get you into any of the "super luxurious" places outside Ubud like the Aman, the Four Seasons etc. It will however, get you a nice 3 or maybe 4 star hotel in Ubud or just outside the main town area (considering how popular and somewhat noisy downtown Ubud can be, I would prefer the latter and would rent a bike for the 4 days to get around. But don't misunderstand, Ubud consists of two main streets, so it is not really a town, it is a small village.)
It this were my vacation, I would opt to spend the 4 days in Ubud and take and bike rides (more on this tomorrow) to see the spectacular countryside.

While I generally agree with rhmk's posts, I would NOT stay at the beach and go to Ubud as a day trip, or you will miss the whole point of Ubud. All you will see is a string of shops and the monkey forest and you will wonder what the fuss is about. The fuss is about the countryside and the culture on offer, like dances, local artists, etc, which you cannot see on a day trip.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:42 PM

I was in Bali for 4 days last November out of 16 days in Indonesia. All four days I stayed in Ubud. An interesting and beautiful little town and lots things to do. Most impressive was the local practice of Hinduism and things around it. Unique in the world.

I know there are super expensive hotels away from the central area of Ubud, never went close to them. I stayed in a very quite garden setting hotel near the market, single room, hot water, 24 hours hot tea, breakfast serving to my own patio every day, for 35000rp, less than $5. It is surely not up to the standard of most on this board, but if you do go there and take a look, you might find it is not bad at all.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:37 PM
SD3
Original Poster

Thank you all for your extensive feedback and advice! I found a rate at the Tjampuhan for an AC room at $75/night - it seems nice from the website and other posts I have read. If I decide to spend 2 nights at the beach it will be at the Sheraton in Nusa Dua as I can stay there for free with my Starwood points. Do you know anything about these two hotels?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:16 AM

The Tjamphuan was one of the hotels I was going to give you from my list for Ubud. It is in a nice wooded hillside location just a little bit out of town (which I see as an advantage.) I can't imagine you would want or need airconditiong; I always found it cool at night there, and love listening to the night sounds, esp at the Tjampuhan which is in a glen. But whatever, for that price to have air con is nice.

Another hotel I would recommend:

ANANDA COTTAGES
Jl. Campuhan, Ubud
Phone: 0361/975376
Fax: 0361/975375
http:// http://www.anandaubud.com

This is a bit further out from Ubud in the rice fields. A longish bike ride, but doable, they may also have a shuttle into town at regular intervals. Ask for a room on an upper flow, they are 2-storey wooden bungalows with thatched roofs.

A bit pricier but lovely hotel in the Ubud area would be the Alila, which used to be the Chedi. Go to http://www.alilahotels.com/. This group also have a hotel in Manggis that looks beautiful, although I have not stayed there.

For activities, the Ubud area is great for biking (you can rent) and walking. There is a map called the "Bali Pathfinder" which you can find in tourist shops in Ubud that shows good walking trails through the rice fields and villages. You can walk for a few hours or the better part of a day. Great for bringing a picnic, or some of the trails have restaurants along the way. There is a White Heron reserve just outside Bali, as I recall the map shows you where this is. The map also shows main roads which you can use for biking. One caveat on biking: none of the roads seem to connect, so you basically can turn around when you have gone far enough and then go back. My favourite is the road to the village of Batuan, as it is mostly flat and takes you through small villages full of painters, woodcarvers and basket makers.

As mentioned, Ubud is also a center for music and art, so you will find wood carving villages, painters, and lots of music and dance. There are dances most every night at the Palace in the center of town; don't worry about tickets or times, the hawkers in the center of town will find you. . .There used to be a children's troupe which performs dances and includes a full gamelan orchestra. I am not sure they still exist, but if they do, they perform on Thursday evenings, or check with your hotel. (From the Palace on the main street, keeping the Palace on your left, go down the main (Jalan Ubud Raya) take the third right, the temple is about 3.4 of a mile on your right.

Bumbu Bali, one of my favourite restaurants, apparently offers cooking classes. I have not taken them, but have read about them on this board.

You might want to consider whitewater rafting on the Ayung River outside Ubud several times, which is a lot of fun, rapids are not too challenging. Rapids are class II to III but may rise to class IV in the wet season (eg Nov). I have used Soebeck which has been in Bali for at least 20 years, but can't find their website. I believe they also offer kayak tours. I did find an operator on the web which offers kayak tours. They will pick you up at your hotel. Costs about $50 per person for the day.

AYUNG RIVER RAFTING
Jl. Diponegoro 150 B - 29 Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
E-mail : [email protected]

As for the beach areas, I have to say I am not a fan of the big chain hotels in the Sanur and Nusa Dua area. You really will not feel you are in Bali at all, IMO, and it is a long way to go to sit on a beach and stay in a Sheraton. . ..and to give up a night or two in Ubud for it seems almost a sacrilige. The only place in the beach areas I would recommend (ohter than Poppies which is not a beach hotel_ is the following small charming hotel, it may be out of your price range but is worth a check:

TANDJUNG SARI
Jl. Tamblingan, Sanur
Phone: 0361/288441
Fax: 0361/287930
http://www.indo.com/hotels/tandjung_sari/map.html
tandjungsari.com

It is on a lovely stretch of beach and has a very local feel to it, much more so than the Sheraton.

If you are looking for fiction based in Bali, there is an old book called "Island of Bali" by Miguel Covarrubias. It is dated his description of the life and people of Bali seems timeless.

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM

I've only to been to Bali once, but I loved it. I stayed in the Ubud area and then took trips from there. Everyone is right, no need to stay at the beach, disappointing by SE Asia standards. Thailand and Malaysia are way more impressive in the way of beaches. To me the Ubud region felt like the Bali experience everyone talks of.

My vote is for the Bali Spirit Hotel close to Ubud. They have a regular free shuttle to and from Ubud. Its extremely beautiful, on the riverbank, set in the side of the hill. Rooms are nice and native feeling, al fresco daily buffet breakfast included, and lush jungle scenery. Staff was very friendly and knew our names by the end of the first day, as the resort is very small and intimate feeling. All for pretty cheap. I had the honeymoon suite for about $80 a night, but wasn't there for my honeymoon, just felt like it wasn't that expensive to have the nicest suite in the place. Most important thing is to stay in the suites. They have private balconies with rice paddy and river veiws. The smaller Emerald rooms are supposed to be small and generically boring. To be avoided I hear.
they have a website and frankly the pictures don't do it justice. In my opinion its a gem.

http://balispirithotel.com/

Its nice to see a thread about less than 5* accomodations in Bali. Sometimes I wonder how many people on this forum don't stay at the Four Season level. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing. I mean one day I hope to have my honeymoon at the Four Seasons Sayan. At least I know this forum has plenty of frequent guests there with advice for whenever my first stay there is.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Hi SD3 - I'd also recommend the Tjamphuan - stayed there for 5nights - it's a quiet area on a hillside with attractive gardens. The food was nothing to write home about but it's not far to walk to the village centre. Check out the meal gongs on the hotel rooms' front verandahs!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:10 PM

We also stayed at Tjamphuan..It was quite a few years ago, but we just loved it...I remember the food not being too good also...But the walk was so beautiful through those huge trees to Ubud..I would love to go back there again, but every year we go somewhere different and this year will be India..But I will definately go back to Bali one day!!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:45 PM
SD3
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info and advice! I've decided to spend 5 nights at the Tjampuhan as it comes with several recommendations and I'd like to be able to walk into town. Plus $52 for a fan cooled room is easy on the budget.