Bali suggestions please...

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 08:41 PM
Stephanie

Bali suggestions please...

We're thinking of going to Bali this July for 5 days as an extension to a holiday in Austraila. We will be in Perth and W.A. Quantas and Ansett have pretty good packages from Perth but I need a bit of feed back regarding the hotels they offer as I have never heard of them....Hotel Barong Kuta and Hotel Istana Rana. ??? Please let me know if you have heard any thing about these hotels. We don't want to spend the money to stay in a first class resort but want clean, safe accomdations. Also, having done some research on Bali, I'm developing a few concerns. Firstly, what about safe food? I hate the idea of only eating hotel food. Secondly, how does one get around? Is there public transit? I have heard it is not safe to drive. Is it possible to arrange day tours to sights? We are pretty adventure minded and like different experiences but not sure if a private driver is the way to go. We would also like some 'must see' recommendations. Thanks so much (in advance) for your responses.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 05:27 AM
judy

My recommendation would be to read a great deal about this place, and then decide if this is where you want to spend you hard earned money. Have you thought about Fiji as an extension? Bali is dirty and appears ripe for civil unrest.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 12:28 AM
Teresa

Hi Stephanie,

I went to Bali in March '98 with my husband and two children for 3 weeks. We had a great time. We didn't stay in the hotels you've mentioned as they are in the centre of Kuta, which is very hectic and you have more hassles with peole trying to get you to buy stuff. We stayed 4 nights in Ubud, in the budget Ananda cottages, which, although were very nice, with rice paddies outside, we found we needed airconditioning. Many of the attractions are easier to get to from here, and the shopping is great, especially if you're interested in paintings. We also stayed in Legian, at the Melasti Beach Resort which is about 3 star rating, which was great. Poolside massages for 1hr cost A$3. A little quieter here, with still plenty of shopping, restaurants and only a short taxi ride to Kuta. Bali itself is beautiful. Transport is EASY, taxis and bemos are everywhere, and they'll take you anywhere - just agree on a price first. Most touring is done this way, the driver will just ask what you want to do the next day and you can arrange with him exactly where you want to go how much to pay, and he'll pick you up from you're hotel the next day. I found them very helpful and reliable. You can also arrange tours at the hotel desk, but this really isn't necessary. One of the best day tours we went on was the Bali Hai Beach Club Cruise, which we booked in Australia before we left as it was cheaper this way. It was a full day, all inclusive tour and well worth it. (My aunt did a similar tour with another company which was cheaper, and was very dissapointed.) The volcano and other areas up north are beautiful, and Tanah Lot is great (arrange extra time for shopping here). Waterbom Park is a really great day if you like swimming and BIG water slides. Eating is no problem, there are plenty of restaurants around and they are very cheap - I wouldn't eat from the little trolleys they push around though. You must not drink the water, don't even clean your teeth in it, you can buy bottled water everywhere, and water jugs left in your room are safe. I loved Bali, and am arranging to go again, with a girlfriend, towards the end of the year.

My parents went to Fiji, they weren't very impressed with it, and was far more expensive.

I don't know where you come from, or what climate your used to, but be prepared for the heat. A good idea is to take pills for diaorreah and nausea with you, just in case.

Have a great holiday, and if I can be of more help, feel free to ask.

Teresa

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:59 AM
Marc

Bali is not dirty and I donīt think itīs ripe for civil unrest.
Iīve been there 2 times last year and on april the 12th Iīll go there again.
Unless your special interest is nightlife I would recommend not to stay in Kuta and may be even not in legian.
Sanur is nice for the first 2 days and itīs easy to travel to some temples like the famous uluwatu from there.
You can hire a car with driver for about 15 US$ a day or drive yourself paying less than 10 US$ per day for a small jeep.
Food is really great on bali and so donīt hesitate to try local food at small restaurants called warungs.
You should see Ubud and see at least one balinese dance there.
If you like snorkling or diving go to Menjangan Island in the north of Bali.
On the way to there you can visit places like the Danau Bratan and the Gitgit Waterfalls.
Feel free to e-mail me if you need some moore detailed information.
Have a nice day
Marc

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 06:03 PM
Susan

We were there in January. I wouldn't recommend staying in Kuta Beach. It is very busy. On par or worse than Wikiki. Sanur Beach is a nice place to stay. Getting around shouldn't be a problem. We also went to the adjacent island of Lombok and got caught smack in the middle of a Religious riot. It was very serious, the island was evacuated (of Christians)!
Where do you live?
I don't have time to go on now but send a note to remind me and I'd be happy to give you more info.

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 11:09 PM
Emma

As 3 21 year old girls we did not enjoy our time in Bali at all. We made the mistake of staying in Kuta which is dirty, busy and people will constantly hassle you at ALL times of the day and night. They will follow you home, sit with you on the beach and generally not leave you alone. We have spent time all over the world but never have I been so relieved to leave a place. I am sure that there are many beautiful places in Bali (we saw a few) but the dirt, hassle and unfortunately the men made it a very uncomfortable place to be. If you have the resources to stay at a nice hotel, stay at Nusa Dua, but there are beautiful hotels and beaches all over the world - don't waste your time as you won't want to leave the hotel.

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 04:19 AM
Langy

I would also recommend staying away from Kuta, legion and Sanur. Stay at any of the hotels down at Nusa Dua and you will have a wonderful time. Only venture into Kuta to do some shopping.
If you shop around you will came up with excellent deals for these five star hotels and will thoroughly enjoy yourselves. They are remarkably inexpensive for what they are, Cheers

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 09:29 PM
Teresa

Hi Stephanie,

I replied to your letter before, and have now found an excellent forum on Bali. It's excellent and you can find out anything you want. I have been spending hours just reading and looking up info on hotels, you can also search archives for particular information.
www.balitravelforum.com
I think you'll find all the answers to your questions here.
Teresa

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 05:52 AM
David

Stephanie

I read your questions and the many answers and can only add that Bali is a great island to explore and enjoy. The culture is magnificent and the people very freindly. Depending where you stay, you will enjoy different aspects of the island. If you want to explore the real Bali, don't stay in a first class hotel. On the other hand, you probably don't want to stay in a pigsty either. There are thousands of hotels here. I have lived here more than 8 years and suggest you visit my partners in Perth at Bali Escape Holidays. They have been selling holiday packages for years to Bali only and we in Bali, can also offer any tour you would like from cycling, rafting, elephant rides, Bali Hai Cruises, yachts, temple visits, volcano tours.... just ask.

All restaurants are required to serve boiled water. Brushing your teeth is safe but naturally, drink the sealed bottled water offered everywhere. Bali is very cheap and if you like the commercial areas, stay in the Kuta, Tuban, Seminyak, Kerobokan areas. If you like something in between, then Sanur or Nusa Dua and perhaps Ubud. If you prefer to get away from it all, then Lovina, Candi Dasa...very quiet and peaceful but don't expect top quality hotels with all the mod cons.

Speak to Mason in Perth or alternatively, let me know your extended thoughts and I can organise for you.

Best regards

David

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 11:10 PM
Anna

Sorry to rule out yet another resort, but I would avoid Nusa Dua too. We spent 10 days there about 18 months ago - it was the first time that I was on holiday and loked forward to going home. If Kuta is a backpackers enclave, Nusa Dua is a 5-star hotel ghetto - very Western. Many paople who stay there never see anything outside of their hotel / the shopping mall. Also, the beaches are full of seaweed - not quite the idyllic tropical setting that we were expecting.

Ubud is definitely worth a visit. We made the mistake of only going there on a day trip - you see much more of the real Bali by spending a few nights there.

In terms of beaches - we quie liked jimbaran Bay. Not least because there are some excellent hotels there, and some superb restaurants on the beach at night (BBQ shellfish).

Sorry - never heard of the hotels that you mentioned. But in terms of transport - the above is correct; it is very cheap to hire a car with a driver.

Hope this helps !

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 11:17 PM
Olivia

I've been to Bali countless times. It is the most developed resort island in Asia -- 1st class food, service, spas (and not JUST in the hotels). The Balinese people are very creative and hardworking, not to mention peaceful. If I were you (on a 1st time trip to Bali), I'd stay in one of the resorts in Jimbaran Bay (the Ritz is actually quite cheap) or Ubud. Check out websites like www.halo-bali.com for hotel information and pictures. Take taxis everywhere as they are dirt cheap and the roads can be confusing.

You MUST see the area around the 3 lakes and some of the surrounding temples. Ask your hotel to arrange a guide or agent for you to visit some of the actual handicraft centres where things are made (not sold). Skip the scuba-diving, but don't skip the spa experience. I'd recommend the Mandara Spa for their Mandara massage -- 2 people massage you at once! Divine!

GOod luck!