Bali Pre-trip planning

Search

Bali Pre-trip planning

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali Pre-trip planning

We're off to bali on Wednesday and I thought I would demonstrate how insanity wins even with seasoned Fodorites.

It starts with our having earned enough FF miles to fly to asia. We've been to Thailand six times and wanted to try a new destination. we decided on Vietnam and began planning. We bought the guide books, checked the weather and planned an itinerary, i.e., Hanoi, Hoi An and Hue.

We foolishly mentioned this to Bob and magically, the Vietnam trip morphed into a Bali trip. I have no idea how this happened. I was paying attention, but something transpired out of my vision and we were now headed to Bali. the only part of original trip that remained was the timing. It was still late spring of 2008.

I began to plan an itinerary for Bali, but quickly found that I was being totally ignored. I surrendered. I did manage to have us skip the diversion to Lombok undertaken by his Bobness. For us, it would have meant getting on a plane to lombok immediately after 36 hours from Boston.

Bob, in his own gentle way, found hotels in Ubud and Sanur that we're sharing for eight nights. He's made the reservation, so if we don't like them, I will not reimburse.

Thsi left us with two days prior to their arrival. I took the easy way out and just made them for the same Ubud hotel we're staying in with Bob, the Alam Shanti.

We also had four days AB (after Bob) so I used Starwood points to book a Sheraton in Nua Dusa and another in Singapore.

The only pre-active part of our planning was that I did manage to book Putu, a guide recommended by Craig, for the two days in Ubud before the Kimballls invade.

I have no idea where we're eating or what we're doing. I merely have printed out a bunch of your recommendations and figure we'll play it by ear ( eating by ear? Nice metaphor!)

The one thing I have learned from our many trips to Asia is that there are so many wonderful things to see and do that it's not necessary to pre-plan every moment. We can't do everything and there's a good chance we'll do something amusing.

Phrases for Bob-handling:

That sounds like a great idea.

Yes, I'd like some Chicken with Cashews.

No, I don't want to meet the hotel manager.

When we get back, we'll meet you at the pool.

No, I can't help with your photo downloading.

I agree, it's too far to walk.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old May 18th, 2008, 06:01 AM

How about: "Would you like another Bintang, Bob?"
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Andy
Hope you and Beth have a great time. Muffin and i wish we could join you all as i know you will have a blast....
Make sure you do a fully updated trip report, wouldn't want you getting any penalties now would we?

When you are in Singapore are you going for black pepper crab on Joo Chiat road? (delicious)
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Andy,
Have a terrific time. And, how does that old joke go?

First place: one week on vacation with Bob. Second place: two weeks on vacation with Bob.

As for potential phrases, I imagine you may want to practice:

"Bob, I don't think when they said buffet they meant you could carry the chafing dish back to the table."

And, if you can, take and post some photos. They will be priceless.
Have a great time. My family will be following your route in August; please keep the international incidents to a minimum.

Old May 18th, 2008, 11:07 AM

We do expect a prompt report (preferably from the field) and as your judgment would certainly constitute a conflict of interests, I will assume the pro temp role of dishing out any late penalties.
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

T-thanks, I'm sure that will come in hand.

C-you are appointed as the arbiter of any penalties that may apply.. Do not pay any attenetion to Eskrunchy or Offwego. They are scofflaws and untrustworthy.

Fear not, Beth bought me a new speedo for the trip. Everything else is secondary.
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

We're actually already packed. i feel like we should just leave for the airport and try to fly stand by. Of course, the three judges awaiting my appearances on Mon, Tue and Wed would be somewhat displeased, but there always grumpy anyway.