Bali or Bangkok? Tailors in Bali?

Sep 17th, 2005, 02:46 PM
ccc
Original Poster

Bali or Bangkok? Tailors in Bali?

We've just scored 6 ff seats on our return flight bkk-jfk and am tinkering with how to allocate our time. We're also going to Burma and Laos. Does anybody have any opinions between Bangkok or Bali? One of the questions we're trying to figure out re Bangkok is whether or not to allow time to get clothes made. If not, are there any tailors in Bali, specifically in the Ubud area? How do the tailors there compare to the ones in Bangkok, specifically the awesome Jack?
Sep 17th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Bali really isn't the place for tailoring. There are many good tailors in Bangkok, including the infamous Jack.

Sep 17th, 2005, 06:00 PM

we have things like robes and beach cover-ups made very cheaply in bali, but really the tailoring of normal clothing is best left to bangkok....not sure jack is awesome, but he is a very nice guy (new parent also), accomodating, reasonable pricewise, plus decent quality....

congrats on the tickets...

can you stop on your way over to bali and then have a couple of days before you go home to arrange for final fittings?? he has your basic sizing from your last trip so it will make it much easier, won't it??
Sep 18th, 2005, 04:29 AM
ccc
Original Poster

Bob, Yes, that's what I was thinking. I have another question for you re Jack. Have you ever had him make something for you and sent it to you without any fittings? In other words, if he already has our measurements, how safe do you think it would be to have something made without any fittings?
Sep 18th, 2005, 06:31 AM

i have not done that and i do not think it would be advisable....i am rotund, so i am a bit of a unique situation....he has to keep making my things bigger even after measuring...

he would be honest with you if you asked him that question....he would perhaps even allow for some leeway in his making of the garmet....really depends on what it is also....a robe would be ok, but a suit would not be a good idea i do not think
Sep 18th, 2005, 10:49 AM

If you have something made for you without any fittings it will look like it, no matter how good the tailor. Bob's right - if it's a batik robe, fine, but if it is tailored clothing, don't waste your money.