Bali Lombok: Just returned

Mar 2nd, 2000, 07:07 PM
Susan

Bali Lombok: Just returned

We were in Bali and Lombok for 3 weeks in January. There is serious unrest there, both political and religious. If you are thinking of going and want some input send me an email.

Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:33 AM
merriem

Glad to know that I was not the only one that thought Bali had some serious problems. We were there for just two days, and that was plenty! Thanks for the post.

May 2nd, 2000, 01:11 PM
Siri Steidel

Wow, unrest in Bali? I am just now collecting information. We have palanned to bring our three children, all under the age of 7, to Bali for three weeks end of July. Not a good idea? I chose it since it is supposed to be cheap to live there,freindly people, culture and beaches and SAFE. Please advise!

May 3rd, 2000, 01:43 AM
patrick

Hello,
Don't worry too much. I suggest you take a look at another forum specially for Bali and Lombok. (http://www.balitravelforum.com)
Have a nice trip.

May 8th, 2000, 03:15 AM
Teresa

I agree with Patrick, try the other forum mentioned, I'm sure this will resolve any doubts you have. We took our children there 2 years ago and am planning another trip this year.
Teresa

May 31st, 2000, 07:22 PM
Jeff

Also interested to hear thoughts about the politico-social vibe for/towards Americans vacationing in Bali/Java/yojakarta -- was planning a trip in late September, 2000.

Aug 26th, 2000, 09:32 AM
patrick

No need to worry. I've just been in Lombok and Java for over one month. It never has been so quiet. Everything is normal. My parents also joined me this year (63 years old) and they never felt unsafe.
Have fun,

Aug 28th, 2000, 09:52 AM
tom oldham

I just returned from 4 days in UBUD in late July--I didn't notice any unrest--and went to a cremation where many villagers attended, etc.--don't know about lombok---there is an american consular represntative in sanur--i don't know if he will answer any questions--

Sep 1st, 2000, 10:56 PM
Richard

I would air on the side of caution though if I were you. I was there recently and there is an atmosphere, and serious discontent from Megawati's supporters. If you intend to explore remote areas etc I would be safe and let people know in advance your plans.
You only have to look at the recent kidnappings at a Philipine dive resort to question.
Having said all of that I'm sure you'll love it. We did. If you have the energy try to climb mount Batung in the early morning! WOW

Sep 6th, 2000, 09:12 AM
JKempler

any news on safety and atmosphere in Bali/Java (not Jakarta)?

Sep 6th, 2000, 01:42 PM
Jeff K

Have the most recent disturbances this week in Timor affected the feel in Bali at all?

Sep 11th, 2000, 05:44 PM
June

I read your response on Bali. I was there in November and found no unrest in Bali (lots in Lombok). We stayed a Nusa Dua. Slightly more expensive but a planned safe resort. We took tours and found the people very nice. The vendors can be quite aggressive but harmless and if you don't want to buy just walk away and ignore them. The Balinese love children. I don't know if you are Canadian but if you are check out the Foreign Affairs website. It posts warnings if there is unrest in an area.

Sep 18th, 2000, 05:42 PM
Noni

Most of the mail seems to be old stuff. What is the current (9/17/2000) situation on Bali and Lombok? I am considering a trip in October 2000. Any suggestions? Thanks...N

Oct 12th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Jeff

just back from Bali (Ubud) -- no problems of any kind. It's totally fine. Stay away from Jakarta, though, for now.

Nov 9th, 2000, 04:30 PM
piush

Hi,
Am planning to be there over thanksgiving at the Hyatt Grand Resort. any input on places to stay, or what you did while u were there would be welcome.Kids are 13 and 10 and do need input/friends to stay busy and enjoy

thks

Nov 10th, 2000, 03:33 AM
Ivan

I'm planning to go to Bali for New Years, so if any1 has been there or knows smth. interesting about Bali pls. email me... Also I wanna know smth. about fishing trips there.... Thanx!!!!