Bali Itinerary Advice - 14 Nights Solo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going solo to Bali for the first time in July. I am interested in nature, birding, cultural attractions and low-key beaches. I have no interest in the night life of Bali or spending too much time shopping, aside from a few market visits.

I know that I definitely want to go to Ubud and one of the Gili Islands, probably Gili Air because Gili Meno is more difficult to get to from Bali. I am also considering Pemuteran because I would like to go to Bali Barat National Park as well as Munduk to do more hiking and nature activities. Right now here is my tentative plan:

Night 1 - Near the airport as I arrive near midnight.
Nights 2 - 4 - Pemuteran
Nights 5 - 7 - Munduk - Considering eliminating this stop and adding the nights to Ubud for additional day trips.
Nights 7 - 11 Ubud
Nights 12 - 14 - Gilis - My flight does not leave until 1 AM so I can spend my last night on the Gilis and still make my flight.

Also, I was thinking of staying a little bit outside the center of Ubud to avoid the crowds.

Any insights are appreciated!
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, made an error to my post:

Nights 8-11 would be in Ubud.

OR

I could add a night to Ubud (for five nights) and only spend two nights in the Gilis. The boat arrives at Gili Air at 1:30 PM on day one, then I would have one full day, and the return boat does not leave until 2:15 PM on the last day.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 07:51 AM

Hi, i think your itinerary are great! You will find all of your interests there; Especially if you Ubud to Gilis. But you should also try to explore southern Bali, where you can find all the low-key beaches.

You definitely should take a look at his article: http://www.indoneo.com/blogs/indones...s-legong-dance if you're interested in cultural attractions (+ it's in Ubud so you could easily drop by to watch the show)

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 08:07 PM

I think your itinerary is pretty well thought out so will only add a couple of comments of things to consider.

I think spending a night "near the airport" would be more trouble than it's worth. You'll still need to arrange transport to north Bali and you might as well get the travel over with. I'd suggest that you either push on to Pemuteran, rearrange your schedule so that you spend the first night in Ubud or spend the night and the next day (or at least) morning at one of the southern beaches like Sanur or Petitenget.

Middle of the night arrivals are quite common in Bali and drivers are used to meeting and driving guests at all hours. The advantage is that there will be no traffic and you'll get to your next stop quickly. Then you can get some rest and wake up where you want to be in Bali.

Of course, I think you should arrange your transportation in advance. Since you are traveling alone (and presumably haven't been to Bali before) I'd ask your resort to set this up for you. Make sure you have a cell phone that works in Bali and that your driver does as well.

I haven't been to Munduk lately but I think it would be a nice stopping off point -- a little more remote than Ubud and very serene.

The town of Ubud itself is quite compact, and although you will get tour buses in July, it's fairly easy to avoid the crush. The major Islamic holidays following Ramadan will take place July 7-10 which will mean a tidal wave of domestic Indonesian visitors. I would be wary of Lombok and the Gilis at this time as well.

Getting from Ubud to the Gilis always takes more time than you might anticipate, so you'd might as well spend two nights there. Alternately, you could try Amed.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 09:20 PM
kja

Hoping that DawnRainbows doesn't mind my jumping in....

@ marmot -- You might recall that I am also a solo female traveler planning a first visit to Bali. I've hesitated to arrange drivers in advance, thinking I'll pay more to do it that way, and I do not have a cell phone of ANY sort. Please elaborate on your recommendations! Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 10:54 PM

kja, I don't see any problem with arranging transportation once you are in Bali. The exception might be having a driver meet you at Bali airport and take you to your first night's accommodation, especially if you arrive after dark.

Your resort/hotel would be able to arrange an airport pick up. The driver would be waiting for you with a sign at the driver meeting point right outside the airport exit. A pre-arranged pick up might cost more than a taxi, but you wouldn't have to deal with fares and directions.

Using a cellphone to contact your driver or your resort is helpful just in case there's a mix up, but if you don't use one, don't worry about it. Even if you don't have cellphone yourself, your driver most likely will. If you carry the phone number of your destination, the driver can always call for directions if needed. Bali is quite safe and people are generally kind and helpful to travellers.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 10:57 PM
kja

@ marmot -- thanks so much! You have restored my blood pressure and anxiety level to their normal lows.