Search

Bali Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali Honeymoon

Hi all!

We are traveling to Bali for our honeymoon this year. We are young, active and very experienced travelers. We are certainly interested in culture and of course want some beach time. We are probably interested in hiking a volcano, but really want this to be our first low-key trip.

Our general plan:
August 26 - September 7, 2010
We are interested in starting off in a nice villa in a beach community to unwind and relax for the first 3-4 nights. Have found a lot in Seminyak - is this a nice place? Any recommendations on Villas?

We will then head up to the hills for some more cultural experiences. We have heard fabulous things about Ubud. Thoughts? We are thinking 3-4 night here. Do you have recommendations on places to stay? We are open to the style of accommodations - anywhere from backpacker (though probably not a traditional hostel) to luxury. We really just want a place that is unique and in a great location for exploring (some privacy is a plus!). We will have time in the beginning to be alone, so super fancy is not necessary.

After that, we do not have anything planned. We had originally considered the Gilis but are not sure that we want to make the trek - Bali seems amazing enough! We really do want some time in the sun. We would love to really lay low and stay at some nice hotels/villas, since this is our honeymoon, but I am not really interested in staying in a Hyatt or similar, unless the hotel is absolutely amazing and offers local charm.

What should we not miss?
We have heard that August is peak season. We were hoping to wing it a bit, but it sounds like we should really consider making some reservations throughout - thoughts?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:09 PM

i was just in bali and did not find it to be too busy but by august it should be very busy...i would book as much in advance, now, as i can, especially places i really want to stay....the best places fill up quickly....

i love sanur...it might be too tame for you but it has a real nice town feeling...

for a bit of lux take a look at the pan pacific near tanah lot...we loved it there...

ubud is really nice....good food, all levels of hotels and good shopping...

i love alam shanti and if they are full they have sister properties...

on the north shore look at rambutan cottages....
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Ubud is wonderful, especially if you are interested in the more traditional and cultural aspects of Bali. Do book your hotels right away as August is high season, but you should still be able to find nice places. In Ubud, accomodation ranges from small rooms in Balinese compounds for a few dollars, to luxury villas in the thousands. Of course, there is much in between, so if you have a price range it would help to mention it. I do live in Ubud but don't stay in hotels, but can give you some feedback. In Ubud there are no dorm type hostels, nor are there the "hallway" type of international hotels, most are small boutique hotels.
Lots of things to do via day trips from Ubud, as well, so you will have a wonderful time.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Why August is the peak season? Isn't that a rainy season already?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:12 PM

Jervin, No, August is generally the dry seaso (though you do get some rain all year long). It's also the time when many Europeans and Australians vacation in Bali.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM

Breanne, I'm a Seminyak fan. I like the long sandy big wave beach, the choice of restaurants and shops and the lively beach ambience. I generally stay at the Legian (the one in Seminyak). I also like the Semaya and the Sofitel.

I've never actually stayed in a villa in Bali but I've visited many. There's quite a range in size, price and location, but in general they are located near, not on, the beach. Many of the more popular properties would be taken for the period that you're traveling so I'd suggest that you contact one or two villa rental agencies, tell them what you're looking for (e.g., number of bedrooms, price) and let them come back to you with suggestions. After you have a few names we can comment on the location.

There are so many places in Ubud that it's difficult to know where to start. My favorite for luxury is Como Shambhala. For good value Alam Sari. There are plenty of others. Again, you should just start sending out e-mails and see what's available during your dates, then come back for comments.

Bali seems to be quite busy this August. Hard to say if that will continue on to September, but during the Islamic holidays that begin the week of September 5 a lot of Indonesians will travel to Bali. Since it's a honeymoon and you don't need the aggravation, I'd suggest booking in advance.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 01:00 AM

Hi Breanne,i'm Indonesian,lived in Bali for 11years. its one beautiful part of the world. If you want some beach time, seminyak,Canggu,Petitenget,Nusa Dua,Jimbaran or Bukit Area (Ungasan,Balangan,Dreamland,Uluwatu) Bukit in Bahasa means Hill, is some places of suggestion from me.
On the West Side of The Island is The Best Time of The Year if u want some beach time.
Seminyak : lots of artshop/handicraft along the street where you both can explore.
Canggu or Petitenget : ricefield view and a bit quite place than seminyak. (its close to seminyak).
Nusa Dua : a bit far from Seminyak about 30minutes drive (if traffic not packed). u may have lots of selection on BTDC Nusa Dua Hotel Complex. its quite place, Not much u can see in Nusa Dua,its great for privacy..lots of beautiful beaches around Nusa Dua Area as well. But the Beach is not the Best in that time of the year.
Jimbaran : (Between Kuta and Nusa Dua) 10-15minutes far to Nusa Dua or Kuta. Lots of Villa, Bungalow, Cottage or Hotels around this area. Pretty Quite area, 10minutes to Bukit Area where u can visit the GWK cultural park, and another 10-15mnts to Dreamland Beach,Balangan Beach or Uluwatu Temple. some Artshop along the main road in Jimbaran, but not as many as in seminyak area.
Bukit Area : I lived in Bukit Area, its quite, and Hilly. in Bukit you will have a few interesting places to visit on ur honeymoon. some beautiful Place such as: GWK Cultural Park, Uluwatu Temple, Balangan Beach,Bingin Beach, Padang-Padang beach,Dreamland Beach,Suluban Beach. Best Time of the year, Good for Swim and Surf. Lots of Bungalows and cottage around each area in Bukit. its private, stunning view and not expensive.

I've been to ubud few time visit some friend who stay there,,its beautiful, lots of ricefield, trees,,so nature.
try to find accomodation around kedewataan area is beautiful with ayung river view, rice field view and its not far from central ubud. or tegallalang? in north of ubud, offers u a stunning rice terraces field view, centre of handicraft in Bali.

Have a wonderfull Honeymoon.

cheers.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 02:25 AM

Under no circumstances should you stay in Nusa Dua. It's a completely sterile environment sculpted to the western tourist. You lose all feel of Bali. Do not stay there or even waste time for a visit.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. We have not made too many more decisions, but we are about to confirm our accommodations in Seminyak. We found availability in the Saba Villas and the Villa Bali Asri. I am leaning more towards the Villa Bali Asri. Has anyone heard of either?

I think we will stay 4 nights and just try to explore as much as we can around the area. Hopefully visit the rice fields and beaches near of Canggu or Petitenget.

We are taking it one town at a time. DO any of you know of nice villas in Ubud. Or is it better to stay in a hotel? I checked out Como and it is lovely, but I am not sure I would want to stay there the entire time. Do you know of any smaller, lesser known options? Or is Como the way to go?

That is all I have for now. I really appreciate all of your help!
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:52 PM

Saba villas are in between Berawa and Batubelig. This is not Seminyak. Berawa is an up and coming area with a lot of restaurants and villas, but the beach is a little scruffy. I’m sure the villas are nice (I know the architect’s work) but they are somewhat far from everything which may be a pro or may be a con. Other than walking around the rice paddies you’d have to drive everywhere.

The Villa Asri complex is on a quiet road that is right in the middle of everything. It’s a short walk to Seminyak beach and many of the popular restaurants, spas and shops. I haven’t been there but they’re supposed to quite nice. Won the Yak villa award in 2009 which is a good sign.

Como might be “grander” than what you’re looking for. The architecture and setting are extraordinary though. The focus is on wellness and serenity.

There are zillions of smaller places. I’d look at Alam Sari, the Komen resorts, the Alam Shanti group. Many of the resorts are actually villa complexes so you can have the best of both worlds. I also like the Alila for location, but the architecture is contemporary, not traditional.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Fantastic! Thank you marmot! That is the exact information I was looking for. I am going to move forward with the Villa Asri.

I will look into the Ubud options and be back for further information! Thanks again!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

More questions:

Is it possible to explore a lot around Seminyak, or is most of our time better spent in the town and beach? Are the Villas Asri walking distance to the beach? We really want to spend some time around the rice fields, but I imagine we will have plenty of time in Ubud for that - as well as the temples?

We were thinking of heading to ascend Gunung Batur. Is this a worthwhile venture? If so, should we just make this a day activity from Ubud or maybe stay in Pemuteran? I know little to nothing about Pemuteran.

Are the following worht a visit? If so, do we need to change hotels to enjoy them?
Nusa Lembongan
Gunung Batukau

Here is our itinerary as it stands:
August/September:
26 - Seminyak
27 - Seminyak
28 - Seminyak
29 - Seminyak
30 - Seminyak to Ubud
31 - Ubud
01 - Ubud
02 - maybe Ubud?
03 -
03 -
05 -
06 - depart in the late evening

What other place(s) should we not miss? We would like at least one night at the end near a beach before we head back to the freezing waters of Seattle. We really want to get a feel for the island without moving around every night. It is truly important for us to experience the culture. Are there specific temples we should definitely visit or yoga classes not to be missed? The only thing we are finalizing before we leave is our hotels, the itinerary will be flexible aside from that, so any recommendations are much appreciated!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 04:01 PM

Seminyak is definitely a beach resort area. There are Balinese everywhere so of course there are temples and ceremonies – sometimes right on the beach – but South Bali doesn’t have the cultural intensity of the inland area. The focus is sun, sand, shops, restaurants and spas. And certainly the sea. You can body board or take a surfing lesson.

There are plenty of rice paddies in Canggu but they’re interspersed with villas and it's not a particularly scenic area. Pretty, but not the spectacular terraces and river gorges of central Bali. I’d concentrate on Ubud for nature.

Ulu Watu and Tanan Lot are both sea temples that are worth a visit. Ulu Watu is in the southern tip of Bali. You can combine a visit with lunch at Blue Point and watch some amazing surfing. Or check to see if there’s a Kecak performance.

Tanah Lot is north of Seminyak and is especially popular at sunset. Or you can stop on your way to Ubud. Personally, I prefer the ceremonies at the smaller, quieter temples. Petitengit is a lovely, atmospheric place.

I’ve never climbed Batur or any mountain in Bali so I’ll have to defer, Batur is nowhere near Pemuteran. Maybe you mean Batukaru? This “dry” season has been very rainy so listen to what the guides tell you. Climbing can be quite dangerous in the rain. You might like this site on climbing in Indonesia http://www.gunungbagging.com/ It has information on Gunung Batukaru, Agung and Batur.

I think of Pemuteran as being more of an access point for North Bali’s marine activities – SCUBA, snorkeling, boating, dolphin watching. Also a big nature preserve. The climate is more arid than in central Bali and the culture is more Islamic influenced. If you climb or trek, ask for Hindu guides or Muslims that are not fasting. The fast prohibits water which is not a good combination for climbing.

Pemuteran is a laid back pleasant town, not too developed, black sand beaches, lots of divers. Villa Ganesha is a very, very nice place to stay. There are others that are less pricy.

Nusa Lembongan is an island that recently gets a lot of day trippers. I’ve heard mixed reviews. Same for the Gilis. I think the area is in transition and some of the newer places are sounding more interesting.

After Seminyak and Ubud it’s kind of hit or miss. There’s so much development going on now in Bali that new resorts and villas are springing up all over. You might take a look at East Bali., black sand beaches, some interesting arts and culture. I don’t particularly like Candidasa but the Alila in Serai is nice. Amankila for a supersplurge.

There’s TONS of yoga in Bali – just pick your preferred style. In the south Desi Seni offers daily classes. In Ubud look at the Yoga Barn. Como has daily classes in a beautiful setting. Most resorts will have classes too, or you can ask the concierge. I’m a yogi myself and I have to say I’m a bit overwhelmed by the proliferation of yoga in Bali. Some of the instructors' credentials are questionable, so try to get a recommendation.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:59 PM

<b>"DO any of you know of nice villas in Ubud"</b>

In May, we stayed at Komaneka at Monkey Forest. It is definitely "Honeymoon Quality". http://www.komaneka.com

<b>"What other place(s) should we not miss? It is truly important for us to experience the culture. Are there specific temples we should definitely visit or yoga classes not to be missed? The only thing we are finalizing before we leave is our hotels, the itinerary will be flexible aside from that, so any recommendations are much appreciated!"</b>

Get a driver for the day and give him some broad ideas of the kinds of things you would like to see. Then, trust him to come up with a plan for the day. We used Dewa Marco and we had a wonderful day and saw things we would never would have trying to plan everything ourselves. You can reach him at [email protected] or [email protected]. Check out his web site at http://www.discoverbalitour.com/. He is very prompt in responding to emails.

You can read others' opinions about him here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...li-driver.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...endations.html

Oh yes, one more thing...slightly OT. <b>Beware of Bali Belly.</b> If you have heard of Montezuma's Revenge, you will get the idea. I did significant research before leaving on our trip and never heard of it. But, it is a too common ailment among even frequent and experienced travelers to Bali. My strongest advice would be for each of you to get an antibiotic from your primary care MD for severe diarrhea, should you ever need it. We had OTC Immodium AD and it was only of marginal help. If I were going again, my wife and I would have an anti-diarrhea antibiotic with us for emergency use. Don't forget your Indonesia immunizations while you are at it.

Congratulations on your wedding and have a wonderful trip.

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Orlando_vic and marmot. I am back on the research train and plan on spending some time looking at your recommendations, soon! I appreciate all the feedback.