Search

Bali for first Timers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali for first Timers

So many questions- so little time-

I am leaving in ONE week! Jan 5th and meeting my boyfriend over there for 2 weeks!!!

1. What is your favorite site to see? What temples? Beaches?

2. What are the best restaurants (cheap).

3. Is it worth going to the hot springs, rainforest, Monkey Park?

4. Did anyone go to the Guru from Eat, Pray Love?

5. Places to travel?

6. What else do you recommend?

7. Jet Lag- I am getting to Bali at 10pn Bali time, but it is going to be 10am(ish) NYC time- what should I do!?!?

THANK YOU!

Old Dec 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM

first of all on day one you just want to hang out...lay low and recover from the terrible flight...

sanur is not far from the airport and is a nice small town with tons of places to stay....good beach areas too and cheap as well as not so cheap eats...

you will generally find bali much cheaper than most places you might travel to...

ubud is a nice place also to visit in central bali, but not as cheap as other places...
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM

You have two weeks there. Slow down, allow yourself to get in sync with the local pace - slow. You'll have plenty of time to explore. Do you have a guidebook? If not, buy one now, read it on your flight.

Stay some time at a beach, some time inland near Ubud.

See some of the local dance performances.

The Guru from Eat Pray Love is in India.

Jet Lag - move your mind into the local time zone as soon as possible. Sleep on the plane if you can. If you can't try to stay up your first day in Bali until at least evening. Get up the next day and get out in the sun as early as possible to help re-set your body clock.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice- I really want to see the real Bali- not where the tourist go. Any suggestions? I am reading old post about Bali and highlighted- I am so honored to have rhkkmk and Kathie respond to me as you two seem to have LOTS of knowledge and experience- THANKS!

A driver I see that you guys like Putu. How do I get in touch with him- Do you think this is really necessary to have a driver?

Its hard because my bf is in Timor I don’t really know what he has planed, I don’t think much- is that bad- can we do Bali on the spur of the moment kind of thing. My flight is already book, and I believe the hotel for the first few nights is booked already.

My BF spoke about this hike you do and you see the sunrise, have you done that?

I want to see the temples, rice patties (?), how is the monkey park (is it worth it?- or too touristy?)- What about the hot springs? Are the volcano do-able in the wet season?

Here is go again- but I rad on a post from 6/13/08 about Marilia in Lonbok- is this still true?

I bought Lonely Planet about Bali and Lombox yesterday and started reading some but there is nothing better than getting advice from people who actually lived it and can answer all my crazy questions

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM

First, it's just fine that you don't have anything planned. You'll find what you want to do when you get there. You will need a driver at least from time to time.

You will see temples no matter where you go and rice paddies as well. The monkey part is very touristy indeed, and the monkeys can be quite aggressive.

There are many hikes you can take. You should visit the volcano even if it's too wet to hike - it'll probably be fine, but just roll with what comes.

There is, indeed, malaria in Lombok. If you decide to go there (and it is lovely) take your malarone.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 10:44 AM

the monkey forest is in the middle of a major road in Ubud. you can basically just walk in, buy bananas and feed the crazy monkeys. it's just something you can do while you are walking around the main street in ubud that has many shops, art galleries, and restaurants. be careful though, the monkeys are crazy and they do bite.

we used Putu for our tour guide one day and went to an elephant park, mt. batur which is a volcano, monkey forest, shopping, and stopped to eat for lunch. Sorry i don't have much more information but just wanted to comment on the monkey forest. bali is beautiful and the people are even more amazing. they are so nice and be sure to pack a very light suitcase because you will want to bring back LOTS of great hand carved wooden items for your home.

have a blast and be safe!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank You- newlyweds06.. I am not sure crazy about that monkey park anyway- I really like the off the beatin track kind of girl. Not the touristy (but I do want to see the temples and such)

Putu- i found his email on older post- [email protected] is this still active? Is this the best way to get him? Is he expensive?

THANK YOU
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM

You are correct with his e-mail address. Also, his website address is www.balifriend.net. His website also contains his telephone numbers should you need them while in Bali.

To be perfectly honest, I don't remember how much he charged when I used him two years ago, but whatever it was, I remember it not being expensive, IMO, as I was with him all day. I do know that he will customize your tour, so that if you want to go off the beaten path into the non-touristy areas, he can definitely arrange that.

As far as sites to see...in a word: everything! See as much as you can without stressing yourself out. Bali is a beautiful country. Don't worry about find inexpensive places to eat - they're everywhere. As far as attractions, the only one I really didn't care for was the Monkey Forest, but that's because I'm really squeamish around animals of any kind (even goldfish), so that didn't give me a thrill.

I loved Bali and I hope you will, too. Happy travels and let us know how you made out!!
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

First of all I wanted to wish every a very happy and a very healthy New Year- no matter where you are in the world... As far as I have, it is 9pm in NYC and I have over than 24 more hours to ring in the new year...

Ok- second of all- thank you mscleo for Putu website.. I emailed him yesterday (monday night NYC time) and I have not heard back- Does he take a while to get back to you? SHould we call him?

THANK YOU

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 09:22 PM

bjc -- one of the things I liked best about Bali is that the culture will find you -- there always seems to be a festival, temple blessing, wedding, something going on -- there are so many temples in the towns you'll be bumping into them. the most famous ones are usually famous for where they are located (tanah lot, uluwatu, the temples near the volcano) however we ended up visiting Mengwi (which has nothing really special to recommend it) just as they finished a huge festival and the barangs they had constructed for that out of dry rice/pig products and rice cakes were still there to see.
give Putu a few days -- he was slow to get back to me and by then I'd booked someone else so I would give it another day or two, but he could be booked already as you're going at a busy time. you do want a driver in Bali as the roads are not easy to follow for a foreigner and the driving is, creative to say the least.
you're going to my favorite place -- you will have SUCH a good time. Do try to get onto Bali time on your travel day -- it stinks that you're getting in so late if you're leaving from NY -- as generally those flights get in mid day and then you can just go to sleep early and wake up on Bali time -- but I'm finding the connections this year to Asia are not as seamless as prior years. ah well !!
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 07:46 AM

putu's costs are about $40-50 per day or in that range and that is for a very long day...

he is personable and knows everything about bali, its religion, culture, hi's and low's....he is a good thoughtful driver and guide....he takes you to out of the way places as well as to the famous places....you see the 'real' bali with him, whatever that is
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys! Putu emailed me back and we are trying to book him, he only had three days left within the time that we are there. Hope it all works out. Well I leave sunday and I am super excited. Thank you everyone for responding back to me and for your great tips!

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:40 AM

bon voyage....you will love it..
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:54 AM

Tell Putu Hello from Bob and Panda.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM

and our wives, karen and beth....as yet we are not a couple...
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 01:53 AM

Glad you got hold of Putu - he's a really nice guy and a great guide.

I'm sure you're going to love Bali - please post when you return and let us know what the experience was like for you.

Happy travels and tell Putu I'll see him later on this year...!
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank You! We are working out the dates now, and I will tell him that everyone says hi (and say everyones name)

I leave tomorrow!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:50 AM

Bali, ah, one of my favorite places.

I have resort and restaurant reviews at http://www.bombasticlife.com

There are a few great (cheap) restaurants I visited as well as some ideas for resorts you might want to visit and eat at.

Good luck, have a blast!
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you- bombasticlife ([email protected])

great website-

I leave in 10 hours!
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I am so glad Putu got back to you. We also used him when we were in Bali a little over a year ago. We scheduled him for 2 days & decided we wanted another day-he was booked but his brother was off from working on a cruise ship & took us. Everything in Bali is reasonable. The massages are to die for-an hour 15$. Please say hi to him from Chris
PS I could live in BAli

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -