Search

Bali experts - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali experts - recommendations?

This board is awesome!
I thought I'd put in my info and see if anyone felt like giving me some tips...

I'll be in Bali Aug 12-20. I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible while still being comfortable (hopefully under $55/night for hotel). I'd also like to get a TON of spa treatments. I'm a 28 year old female going alone. It's all about relaxing, and the occasional cockail
Any tips for places to stay, spas to hit, etc? I have my planet ticket, and that's all. I'm also spending a day in Singapore on the way back, in case you have any tips. Thanks!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:35 PM

I'm so jealous! I was in Bali last January for a short stint and I can't wait to go back again. Every time I go there I just want to spend more time. Lucky you! You might be able to beat that per night price, depending on how comfortable you want to be. I believe August is considered High Season, but Bali is by no means crowded these days. So don't book your hotel ahead of time; maybe just one or two nights and then book the rest of your stay after you get there. You can negotiate a better price by just walking in to the hotel where you'd like to stay and asking them for their best price for the level of room you want. Also be sure that they show you the room before you accept the price. Usually breakfast is included. Each time I've been to Bali I only paid approx. US$20/night w/breakfast included. The hotels were right on the beach in Kuta. They weren't top of the line, but they were still very nice. Good luck!!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I like those prices! Are there specific places you can recommend? I'd like to book at least a couple nights in advance.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Be sure to look on Expedia. We are going to Bali in August as well and were looking at more expensive properties...but even the one I wanted had one night free if you buy 3 nights...the hotel did not offer me that deal directly. They have a hotel on there called Graha Resort in Ubud for $34 per night including bfast.
Good luck, see you there!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I stayed at the Aneka Hotel on Jalan Pantai. It can't hurt to mention that I recommended them to you because the Marketing Manager is a friend of a friend. Her name is Made. That might help the price if you want to stay there; it's nice. Relationships are very important in Indonesia.

Another thought regarding saving money on lodging in Bali: The best prices are usually quoted in Rupiah and not US$. You will probably get a better deal too if you pay in cash (Rupiah) instead of using your credit card.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:02 PM

In Singapore...Ymca International House Hotel, 1 Orchard road...ymca.org.sg. It's S$75.00...including breakfast,bathroom, fridge,TV...private room. If you want a safe, then book a room on the 8th floor.It's at the Dhouby Ghaut MRT(subway). Walk in one direction and you're walking out Orchard Road to the main section of the Road...walk in the other direction and you're headed in the direction of the Raffles Hotel,Chijmes Shopping center and restaurants,Raffles Shopping Center...which has a great supermarket in its basement...I buy groceries there and stock my fridge back at the hotel. You need more than one day in Singapore. As for Bali, I stayed at the Prada hotel in Ubud. It's in the heart of town and is royal palace grounds.Some of the out-of-the-way places are very isolating for a solo traveler. I'm female and travel alone, so I like to be in town so that I have lots to do. As for the beach, I personally don't need it since I can have regular access to the beach, at home, if I'd like.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Check out balitravelforum.com for tons of useful advice, particularly if you are traveling on a budget. I would not waste a lot of time in Kuta as that is not the "real" Bali. Ubud is great. There is a spa there that is cheap and first class - Zen Body Holiday (www.zenbalispa.com).
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

That Zen Bali Spa sounds too good to be true. How is it possible that a $200 Lulur treatment is about $15?!?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:00 PM

As soon as you get away from the foreign owned hotels, the prices drop to local levels. We did the whole deal and it was wonderful and cheap.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:16 PM

in Ubud Ubud Village reosrt is on a great location right on Monkey Forest Rd. Pradha Guest house is also a great location - available within your budget. A tad grotty tho. Do not bother to ensure your hotel has a spa as spas abound in Bali - in Seminyak Jari meanri is awesome and in Ubud u can go to Spa Hati. Both reasonable too.