Search

Bali airport transportation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali airport transportation

Hello,

What are the best ways and prices to get from the airport in Bali (DPS) to a hotel in Ubud?

Thanks,

Diane
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Are these taxis or shuttlebuses? Would the hotel and amikbagoes be about the same price?
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 08:20 PM
kja

Amik is a driver who uses his own car; you would arrange your transit time and price with him. Only your hotel can tell you what arrangements it can offer and at what price.
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 11:34 PM

There are inexpensive shuttle buses that go from Bali airport to Ubud, but they operate infrequently and you may have to transfer along the way. One such is Kura Kura. If you do a search, you'll find others.

Taxi fares from the airport are meant to be fixed. You pay the dispatcher the listed price. I believe the fare to Ubud is IDR300,000, though it may have changed. We often get reports of "surcharges" being added on.

A private driver with his own car will be in the range of IDR300,000 to 400,000 depending on the time of day, location in Ubud and how much the driver needs the money. Most hotels will charge around IDR300,000. If you charge the fare to your room bill they have to add 21% tax so it's better to pay the driver directly.

If you haven't already fixed your hotel reservation, try to negotiate a rate that includes airport pick up and drop off. Be sure to know the location of your hotel (and have the telephone number) as many airport drivers won't know their way around Ubud.
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies kja and marmot. So helpful
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 09:44 PM
kja

@ marmot -- I should have known that you would respond with detailed info! I was just too eager to recommend Amik to wait....
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 12:19 AM

kja, it's great that you found a good driver while you were here.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 12:32 AM
kja

@ marmot -- OMG, I'm so glad, too! -- Amik had a tremendous impact on my experience of Bali. I'm sure I would have enjoyed myself no matter what arrangements I made for a driver, but Amik was exceptional.

I'm working on a trip report -- I hope you'll take a look now and again once I begin posting, at least in part because I would like you to know that I did take advantage of SOooo much wonderful advice that you provided in advance -- thank you so much!
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 07:29 AM

Bluebird Taxis are metred and good, clean, air-conditioned. No haggling, they will take you there for the meter fare. Should be about 300,000 rupiah ($30aud, $20USD)

If travelling by cab in Bali, always use the Bluebirds, hardly ever costs more than 50,000 ($5)'to,anywhere around Kuta/Legian/Seminyak/Kerobokan/airport. Always meters and aircon.

That's my good tip for getting around if scooters terrify you.
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 05:43 PM

I agree taxis are a great way to get around in south Bali. They will wait for you while you shop or have a meal.

I would add a few comments:

You can take a metered taxi TO the airport, but not FROM the airport. From the airport you have to pay the set rate (and hope to avoid add-ons).

Many beach communities (Double 6, Batu Bolong and others) will not allow pick-ups by taxis (or Uber or similar car services). If you need transport you have to go through the community service group dispatcher. In some cases rates are fair and service is good. In others rates are exorbitant and service amounts to extortion.

There are no metered taxis in the Ubud area. Metered taxis can drop off, but not pick up.)When you hail transport along the road or through a dispatcher you can negotiate the rate, though the going rates are informally fixed throughout the community.