Back to India...for the first time.

Mar 24th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Back to India...for the first time.

Dear all
This is my first thread on Fodors, I signed up just this morning, had been a 'reader' only before. I wonder if someone can help with some advice about traveling to India. My mother was born and grew up in Ootacamund, she lived there until she was about 8 before returning to the UK. I have long wanted to discover her birthplace, plus visit Jodphur and Jaipur amongst other places. Is it possible to do both regions (north and south) in one trip, and if so how much time should I be looking at? Or should I concentrate on making two trips, and really make the most of each area. It's important to me, I've never been to India...but there is a family history which I want to discover. I think I've always been trying to go there, but I came to Africa first, and am now stuck on this continent (not such a bad thing really). Know lots about Africa, but nothing about India. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts, bests...Chagall
Mar 25th, 2008, 05:23 AM

india can be a very difficult place to travel, but also a very rewarding place too...

many of us seek the assistence of a delhi based travel agency to assist us....you might do the same for a frist trip....i had very good luck with castle and king (google them)... use their services but also book some of your own hotels...

hotels are outrageous in price....

i had good luck with sheratons..

i did one small area, called the golden triangle, in about 11 days...delhi/agra/jaipur
Mar 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Whether you can do north and south depends on how much time you have. I did both, but I spent ten weeks... If you are going to Ooty (can't remember the whole new name!) you should also look at going to Mysore and Kerala and perhaps Goa and Hampi. If you're going to Rajasthan you should also look at visiting Agra and perhaps Varanasi.

I traveled by train, but you could also fly, in which case you could maybe allow ten days for the north and ten for the south. Highly recommend spending some time on guide book research - first with the picture book guides like Insight and Exploring, and then with Footprint and Lonely Planet. Good luck! India is a fascinating place, and the longer you spend there the better.
Mar 25th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Dear rhkkmk and thursdaysd,
thank you so much for your replies, i will google castle & king, and have a look at their website. i think i definitely would look at using an operator to help me with some of the trip, plus will get hold of some good books. i would love to have 10 weeks to go and properly explore. i know i will fall in love (my grandmother wrote books about her time there, and my mother always talked about her amazing childhood); i've lived in africa for 15 years, and can't really imagine being anywhere else, but india has always had this pull so i wonder. it's exciting, starting to think about a new trip! thanks a lot for the advice, chagall
Mar 27th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Both South & parts of North India can be done on your first trip. The connectivity has improved & depending upon the number of days at your desposal, you could have a fine itinerary that will enrich your travels in the country.
Your tour plan will have to be a bit diffrent from the itineraries that are normally proposed on this wonderful forum. The destinations that may interest you will have to be dug up from the English classicist writings.
Happy Hunting!
Mar 27th, 2008, 03:34 AM

Please consider going south (especially if your mom is from Ooty!!!) How long are you going for???
Mar 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Dear Chagall,
I am from Bombay and now live in the US, and am always touched by the sentiments expressed by NRI's of our Motherland. You will enjoy both the North and the South. You can accomplish them with effort and good planning. If you go all the way to Ooty--please do go to Kerala--and definitely take the houseboat trip (you don't necessarily need to spend the night on the houseboat) too many bugs!! But Kumarakom Resort is magnificent-a bit pricey but definitely worth the money. Enjoy the planning and more importantly enjoy our India!!

Search this Thread