Ayutthaya Priorities please

Aug 15th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Ayutthaya Priorities please

Finished River Kwai and moved onto Ayutthaya - thanks everyone for your help -sure makes life easy..
Ratt has emailed me and said that we are on the Ayutthaya side of Bangkok when we fly in - arriving 6.30am - So she will take us straight there.
We will have had an overnight flight so dont wont to do it too tough. As lack of sleep and arriving in the heat will be enough ......
So - help with the must sees in order of priority would be a great help.
Then if we've seen the main things and run out of steam, it wont matter if we surrender and return to the hotel. (we dont like museums so delete them)
Thanks again
Aug 16th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

my question was buried so ttt just incase someone can help me on this one
Thanks
Aug 16th, 2004, 08:45 PM

i can't help you here as i found going there was a waste of time....i did like the summer palace, bang something or other, and the monastary across the river...i loved the chair ride across the river....

are you sure you won't be too tired?? i guess its only 6 hours from oz however??
Aug 16th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob, any other suggestion on the airport side of town for when we fly in?
I was thinking the same but seems a shame to waste the morning and the hotel might not let us in that early. Even if we end up only looking at 2 or 3 things before returning to the hotel to book in, swim and snooze....
thanks
Aug 16th, 2004, 10:54 PM

The Palace is Bang Pa In and it is rather pleasant to walk around. Across the river is a Wat built like a European church.

I have never found Ayutthaya particularly interesting, I much prefer Sukhothai. However, you should be able to visit Ayutthaya and Bang Pa In before it is time to check in.
Aug 17th, 2004, 10:30 AM

i don't think you would have trouble with the marriott especially if you requested by e-mail and early check-in...there is not anything too much by the airport...

you could visit one of the small palaces like V-mark or suan packard but where would you store your luggage??
Aug 17th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Ratts car and travel light so luggage no problem if we want to look around... might give the Marriott an email just to check..but I think well end up wasting a day....and it will be "a little cooler" at 6.30am rather than 11.oo after weve had a rest.. holiday decisions hey...???
Aug 17th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Personally, I liked seein the ruins at Ayutthaya, but I have not been to Sukhothai. We were there on a windy day in December and enjoyed wandering the ruins with the wind whipping the fabric wrapped around the statues--made it feel more isolated than some of the sites really are. We also ran into a group of school children on a visit and they wanted to try their English, so it added a fun encounter to the day.

We let the guide choose where to visit, so I can't tell you specific locations to visit. Seems we went to three different spots to wander.

On the other hand, I didn't think much of the visit to the summer palace. My husband said he found the grounds very restful, but I thought it felt sort modern deserted while the ruins seemed appropriately lonely. If I remember correctly, music was playing over outdoor speakers?
Aug 17th, 2004, 06:20 PM

forgot you would be in ratt's car...how about this: go directly to the hotel...check in or leave your bags for a return later...go for a quick swim...there are bathrooms under the restaurant/pool bar for you to change...that will refresh and clean you up...
then have ratt take you out for a couple of visits, like v-mark palace and suan packard or a temple or two...it will be very hot....
i too went to ayuth... in december and it was hot as hell and all i wanted to do was get out of there...we had a driver but no guide so we were essentially on our own...

bang in is quite lovely...you generally just walk around...there are some attractive buildings, most in european design but some thai...

the other two palaces are great...suan packard was inhabitted until a few years ago by a princess...it is very small and a visit would only last 1/2 to 1 hour....v-mark is bigger and there is a tour there which lasts maybe 1 hour...the zoo is next door...

after all of this i vote for a morning at the pool and going out afterwards...
Aug 17th, 2004, 06:25 PM

this arrival will be exactly the same as when i go to europe...we have an overnite flight which leaves boston at 6-8 PM and arrives in europe 6-8 hours later....you get some sleep but not much...you are still tired and keyed up...you force yourself to do something but not much...you eat something which makes you feel better...of course it is not 90+ degrees F and high humidity, which knocks the life out of you....i usually have to drive some place from the european airport, which you do not...i am exhausted and we usually have one big fight about then....
better to relax at least some...
if you arrive at 6:30, you would be to the hotel about 2 hours later give or take...perfect for a nice breakfast and or a dip in the pool...

i will now shut up!! other fodorites are saying oh ya,,,rhk shutting up...