AVIAN BIRD FLU

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AVIAN BIRD FLU

Going to Thailand in November. I have read all the medical bulletins. Any tips from those who have been or who are in Thailand. Should I refrain from eating chicken and eggs?

Thanks,
David
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:00 AM

www.cdc.gov/travel for all the info

The avian flu is not transmitted by eating cooked eggs or poultry. There have been concerns that it might be transmitted by eating raw duck blood, but no confirmed cases.

The primary route of transmission is through conatct with the feces of sick birds.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Don't play with chickens. You can eat eggs and chicken as long as they are cooked.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Well it has to be well cooked. Have you encountered where you have eaten chicken and egg and it's not well cooked?
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM

When I was in Bangkok in August 2004, the hotel I stayed at had a sign up saying that due to the Avian flu, all eggs would be cooked well-done. That was the extent of the talk of the Avian flu. When I was at the same hotel, just in August 2005, there was no sign and no talk. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:58 AM

DayRan, there is a traditional VN soup that has fresh duck's blood poured into it just before serving.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Kathy - I guess I will stay away from that one.

Thanks,
David
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Exactly, Kathie. That's how those Vietnamese brothers got sick. If I remember correctly, one died and one lived.And eggs are not always well-cooked and neither is chicken. There's a lot of undercooked chicken here in the states...not that I eat it...but I've been with friends at restaurants where they've cut through chicken that wasn't cooked long enough. At the breakfast buffet at YMCA International House Hotel, in Singapore, the eggs are always runny. They are almost like liquid. Now maybe they are powdered eggs,or part powdered and real eggs, but they are VERY strange.... which is why for years of staying there, when I've decided to have an egg...which is rare...I have asked them to cook me a hardboiled egg. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 08:32 PM

My advice is totally refrain from eating poultry or eggs in Asia for the time being. Better sure than sorry, I'm hearing too many conflicting opinions on transmission, plus often BBQ chicken in Thailand is raw & bloody inside.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:23 AM

TexasSlim

Can you quote a source on "conflicting opinions on transmission". I'd be interested in reading further on what those are.

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:54 AM

I don't think there are any conflicting opinions from experts. What they do say, however, is that the virus can mutate which would change the risk factors.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

I guess if you love seafood then you will have many choices available to eat.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Exactly, Gloria...The fear is that during flu season, the virus could mix with a human flu virus, mutate, and then be able to be passed on from person to person which would cause a big problem. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Isn't "sunny side up" an egg that is cooked on just one side?

Chicken is undercooked in Asia because it makes the meat tender. Overcooked chicken tends to have very tough meat.

This whole avian flu thing is making me seriously rethink a 2006 trip to China and Vietnam with some friends. Am I being too cautious?
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Nope. You can never be too cautios. I am going in November because it's all booked.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:43 AM

I've never had undercooked chicken anywhere in Asia. Chicken and pork are always cooked well everywhere. However, eggs is a different matter.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM

I believe that there have been about 130 cases of Avian Flu in Humans with 1/2 of the cases being fatal. From what I've read, the great fear is that the current virus, H5N1, mutates and becomes able to have human to human transfer. Until that happens, the chances of a tourist contracting the flu is a statistical nullity. I fully understand the fear of the unknown (my species is nearing extinction), but obsessing about the Avian Flu seems unwarranted. Of course, most obessions are. Remember birds migrate. So do people. Even if one chooses not to travel, your neighbor is travelling or your neighbor's uncle.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Gpanda: That's very true, but since none of us are spring chickens (cluck! cluck! - sorry, just couldn't help that!), we have to be extra careful.

rkkwan: I've had undercooked chicken in Asia plenty times. In Singapore, one of my favorite dishes is Hainanese chicken - and I've had it at nameless stalls as well as fancy restaurants. Sometimes it's undercooked, not always.

A favorite Chinese dish is "white chopped chicken", which is BEST eaten with blood showing on the bones after the chicken is chopped up.

I had a trip to Italy and France planned the year mad cow disease showed up, so we switched to a cruise to Alaska instead. 2006 was supposed to be South China and Vietnam, but maybe we should switch to some place else like New Zealand and Australia.

It's not for myself that I'm considering a switch, it's my companions. I'll never forgive myself if one of them caught avian flu on this next trip.

But, as Gpanda has pointed out, avian flu travels, especially with wild life, so we could very well catch it here in the States as in Asia.

Decisions1 Decisions!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Avian Flu is on the cover story of the October issue of National Geo. From what I've read it seems most people have caught it from being near chicken farms or handling them directly. In this article they mention a girl who's hut was over their chickens, and she contracted it from them. The only case I've heard of where they contracted it from food was the case with the men who ate the custard delicacy with duck's blood. They think the brother who died last actually got it from him, not the custard. It's also on this week's cover of Newsweek.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:14 PM

There have been articles in today's UK papers regarding a couple of people from La Reunion who have contracted what may be Avian flu (I say may because out of two tests run so far one was positive but the second was inconclusive). They had recently visited Thailand and it is believed they contracted the virus there - there are photos of them at an exotic bird park in close contact with birds. I guess zoos and bird parks should be places to avoid as well as markets with live poultry etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/birdflu/st...601301,00.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -