ATTN: jamesA

May 6th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

ATTN: jamesA

hi james...the time is fast approaching when we leave for bkk....karen, my wife, asked me today to ask you if you could suggest a place for us to visit an optomitrist (eye glass maker) to have glasses made....specifically she has an updated prescription for progressive lenses and we thought that we might investigate having them done in bkk....we had looked on our last trip but did not end up doing anything--specifically i remember looking at siam square....in oz you may not call them progressive, but they are lenses that have about 3 levels of intensity and one blends into the next without a line (bi-focal)...

on a seperate issue, we had spoken a while back about getting together for a drink or something as we would like to meet you, and your wife if she could come....we will be in and out of bkk over a month's time, staying at a variety of hotels....currently we have the folowing available: may 24, 25, 27...june 2, 3, 13, 18 and 19...we could meet at our hotel or at any place that is convenient for you....we could have a drink or a meal as your time dictates or even just a cup of coffee...let me know either here or via my e-mail: [email protected]

thanks and all fodor people thank you for your wonderful assistance on our behalf...

bob kimball
May 7th, 2004, 12:23 PM

yes Bob I will email you, been very very hectic this week clearing out the Sasser Virus, we may be behind in some things but we spotted that Saturday way ahead of it hitting the news! I know the lenses you mean, I can't really recommend one as don't use now but as long as you go to a class place they should be fine, after all they are just certainly the same quality as you would get anywhere, one thing for sure if you go to get frames(Know this from years back for my sister) the prices are automatically doubled over and above what they really want, lenses I wouldn't know but no doubt would be far cheaper than USA. I had the kids eyes checked at a small local place(was free) and they had full latest comuterzied stuff that looks into the eyes and gives a computer print out (the life of an Optician seems pretty easy these days!). I should not worry about quality as those that I pass/see look top class.
I will email you early in the week once I have my schedule.
May 7th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks james for the eye glass info...didn't know what your esperiences were....

i look forward to hearing from you in the next two weeks...if you could would you put "thailand" in the subject area or i will delete the message...thanks

bob
May 7th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Bob,

I have worn progressive glasses for several years. When I lived in Bangkok, I used to go to an optician on the corner of Sukhumvit and I think from memory, Soi 35 or 37. Nearest Skytrain station would be the Emporium, the optician is on the other side of the street from the Emporium and back towards the centre of the city. I never had any problems with them, although I am sure that there are plenty of other good opticians in Bangkok.
May 7th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks tangata....we will look for this shop...we go to soi 39 from time to time so that is convenient for us...

we hope we may find a bargain as well...