Beijing Marco Polo Hotel

Search

Beijing Marco Polo Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beijing Marco Polo Hotel

We have been trying to contact hotel by e-mail for 10 days with no reply. Has anyone stayed here? Location looks very convenient. Would like any comment on rooms and service? Any comparable suggestions?
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:38 AM

I think I've already commented favourably on the Marco Polo, so I'll leave others to give their opinions on rooms, etc., although the hotel has only recently opened, so there may not be many who can comment. <BR><BR>I wouldn't let the lack of reply by email bother you--that's fairly common in China even with Sino-foreign joint-venture operations like the Marco Polo. Email requires a variety of different skills with written English and computers, and tends to come at the bottom of the list of preferred methods of communicating, and it can be difficult even to get PR departments to respond that way. <BR><BR>If the aim is to make a booking you'd be better just to show up anyway. The hotel is a fair size, and only recently opened (one of its several attractions). The chances of their having no room available is as near zero as makes no difference, and you'll get a better rate in person than you can in advance.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Peter. Is there any merit in booking a night or two and negotiating for longer? We are nervous about arriving late at night after a long trip and then being put in the spot of take this rate or move on.<BR>
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

P.S. They did return our last message yesterday within 36 hours. Same offer as their Winter Saver special on the web site.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:31 AM

I'd just show up, but if you can't handle that, the only option is to take the best rate you've been able to get. Yes, an alternative would be to book one night, and then negotiate for three or four more nights. You may succeed, but it can be a little more difficult to get the rate down once you've established a willingness to pay a higher one.<BR><BR>Some people make a reservation, then appear as if just walk-ins, without revealing who they are, and see what they can get. If they beat the rate they have already been given, then they take the new rate and cancel the old reservation. I'm not entirely comfortable with this method, although many would argue that if the hotel's business is to try and arrange for you to pay the maximum they can get from you, it's equally legitimate to try and pay the least you can. <BR><BR>What is certain is that unless the rate you've been quoted is specifically linked to advance booking, that even showing up without a reservation, at the very least you'll get that rate. And any rate available on the booking computer, regardless of any conditions surrounding it, can in fact be negotiated for.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html