Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Arrive Narita 4:00pm. Fastest way to hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying at the Millennium Mitsui garden hotel in the Ginza district. We've traveled the world but for some reason, this seems to be a confusing research project! We understand traffic can be an issue.
We think an express train is the fastest to Tokyo Station. Then perhaps a taxi to hotel? (we will have luggage)

Which Express train? Sobu line? Narita Expreess?
How to we get tickets?
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 05:38 PM
kja

Have you asked your hotel?
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 07:41 PM

The fastest at that time of day will be to take the Narita Express train (N'ex) from the airport to Tokyo Station, then take a taxi or quick subway ride from there. It's about 3,000 yen or if you're getting a rail pass, you can do that at the same time. Make sure to reserve a seat on the train if using a rail pass.

The rail station is on the bottom level of the airport terminal; you should see lots of N'Ex signs once you're out in the main lobby. The train station accepts major credit cards, but stop at an ATM or money exchange booth in the airport as you'll need cash for the taxi or subway.Tokyo station is huge, so you don't want to get lost hunting for an ATM when you first arrive!

Last edited by lcuy; Jul 10th, 2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much but one other question: We arrive in terminal 1. Our friends arrive an hour later in Terminal 2. I've read that there is very little seating and trains leave from terminal 1 then go to terminal 2 then on to Tokyo Station. How would we meet up with our friends, get tickets and be on the same train? Should we just meet up at the hotel?
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 08:30 AM

I would just take the N’Ex to Tokyo Station and then a taxi since you’ll have luggage. As Lucy mentioned, Tokyo Station is huge. I just looked in my travel journal from Summer 2018 and one day I took a taxi from the Four Seasons Hotel (5-minute walk from Tokyo Station) to Ginza (far end of main shopping street) and it was 890 yen. Now, of course I don't know exactly where your hotel is in Ginza, but I'm just giving a price of what I paid to the main shopping street in Ginza. I have also walked that distance from my hotel to and from Ginza. If you take the subway, then you need to figure out how far your hotel will be from the subway station and if it's pouring raining, that needs to be also taken into consideration as it can really rain there.

I’ll be in Tokyo Station again next week and also on the N’Ex from Narita, but have booked a hotel inside of Tokyo Station for my first stopover in Tokyo as my plane gets in late at night.

As for trying to meet up with your friends, I would just meet them at the hotel.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Jul 11th, 2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 11:45 AM

At that time of day with luggage, I would avoid taking the subway from Tokyo Station. A short taxi ride to your hotel is your best option IMO.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 03:04 PM

I agree, Curiousgeo. The thought of trying to get luggage into and squeeze into a crowded subway train is a bit much.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 04:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Is your hotel listed as a stop on the Limousine Bus Line? We took that and it was so so easy. We took NEX when we returned to NRT to fly home.
If you take NEX and need a taxi from Tokyo Station to your hotel, use Google Translate for hotel name and address. You can download English to Japanese on your phone, no data charges. Japanese is in Japanese characters and works very well.
We loved Japan!
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 06:54 PM

The taxi fare from the Marunouchi exit of Tokyo Stn to your hotel is between US $14 and $29. If you are okay with a subway ride, you go south on the Marunouchi line to the Ginza station and take a 2-3 minute walk.
You can google all your options by typing directions from Tokyo Station to Millennium Mitsui garden hotel. Google will give you the options of car vs public transport, with the various routes, distances and time. You can even enter the time and day to get a more accurate estimate.
I would be tempted to meet friends in Terminal 2. By the time you get your luggage and get to the meeting place in T2, they should have arrived. Terminal 2 is smaller that T1, and you can plan to meet at the central gate exit right in the middle of the arrivals floor, then go downstairs to B1F where the JR ticket offices and the trains are located:
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/map/?terminal=2&map=0

If you all ride the train to Tokyo Stn together, at least if you get lost, you'll all be together!

Tokyo station: https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1039.html

Tokyo station is REALLY big. If you do get lost, ask an agent at any of the ticket gates or look up at the ceiling for signage to Information booths. there are usually people in red (? I think) jackets that say something like "tourist info"scattered around the station, usually with their back to a wall or column. They are helpful and will give you a good map for the future.

Have fun. It's not as daunting as it sounds!
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 07:28 PM
tt7

Originally Posted by kja
Have you asked your hotel?
Good question.... unlike most hotel sites, which have directions on how to reach them by train / subway / car / taxi etc., the Millennium Mitsui Garden Hotel website appears to be conspicuously useless in that regard .... or maybe it's just me and the directions are staring me in the face and I just can't see them.

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Is your hotel listed as a stop on the Limousine Bus Line?
It appears not. The bus does go to the Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier but that's not the same as the Millenium Mitsui Garden, which is about a 7 minute walk away. However, the next stop is the Courtyard by Marriott Tokyo Ginza, from which it's a 3 minute / 300 metre walk.

Last edited by tt7; Jul 11th, 2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 07:41 PM
tt7

Narita Express timetable. [Note: the reason the trains are often listed twice is because the NEX splits at Tokyo, with part going to Shinjuku etc. and part going to Shinagawa etc.]
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 08:05 PM

It's good to see that map above as I can see that the Millenium Mitsui Garden Hotel is not far from Ginza 6 and that's where I was going in a taxi for 890 yen and on a Monday when there was traffic.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Jul 11th, 2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Wow, such helpful advice! THANK YOU! I love Fodors Forums!!

We are only there one night as we board a Viking cruise the next day. Thanks again!
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 08:46 PM

You're welcome and have a great trip!

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 08:53 PM
kja

Originally Posted by tt7
unlike most hotel sites, which have directions on how to reach them by train / subway / car / taxi etc., the Millennium Mitsui Garden Hotel website appears to be conspicuously useless in that regard
Which is why I would contact them. ;-)
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 09:52 PM

momincv: The below map of Ginza might be of use to you to get your bearings and some street names. I printed and have used this map each summer. A few places aren't listed on it as they didn't exist before this map was printed.

Happy Travels!

ginzashopmap.pdf

Last edited by Guenmai; Jul 11th, 2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 07:50 AM

I have read that you can give Japanese taxi drivers the phone number at your destination and that is all they need.
Millennium Mitsui Garden Hotel
+81 3 3549 3331
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 12:45 PM

Yes the GPS in Japan uses phone numbers well as addresses. It's great since even if the GPS directions are confusing, they have the number to call for directions! Works especially well in rural areas and also on long streets where the building numbers are not in consecutive order (eg. first home built is #1 Main Street, the next house built, no matter how distant is #2 Main Street, etc).
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 01:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Download English to Japanese in the Google Translate App. Type in your hotel name and address. It will translate to Japanese characters. We were surprised at how few Japanese spoke English compared to in other countries.
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 03:59 PM

I would not depend on the accuracy of "Google Translation" to translate something as important as hotel name and address to give to a taxi driver. Many different characters (or words) in Japanese may have the same pronunciation, therefore, translating from English back to Japanese, Google Translate may not give you the original Japanese characters.

I'd copy and paste that info from the hotel's Japanese language website, or from Google Map, or give the taxi driver the hotel's telephone number as suggested up thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -