Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Arrive Bangkok/Depart Phuket...what in between?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2011, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my gf and I are taking our first trip to Thailand (we are 25). Can an experienced traveler please help us plan the best travel plan? We are arriving in Bangkok and departing Phuket 11 days later. We were told it is too much travel to visit Chang Mai, is this correct?

Where should we visit between Bangkok and Phuket? Is three places the right amount to visit in 10 days?

Our interests include but are not limited to: massage/Spa, food, beach, elephants, markets, snorkeling or adventure activity.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 05:52 PM

You don't give us an idea of what kind of budget you have, so it's going to be hard to advise you. I'm not sure what was meant by "too much travel" to visit Chiang Mai. It's a one hour flight from Bangkok that costs about $50 per person one-way on a budget airline. There are also direct flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket.

You certainly have enough time to visit three places, and Chiang Mai is the common option to see something other than a big city (Bangkok) and a could-be-anywhere beach (Phuket). If budget is a issue and precludes a flight to Chiang Mai, you could consider something closer to Bangkok. Kanchanaburi offers lots of opportunities for adventure, or you could increase you beach time with a stop in Hua Hin on your way to Phuket. Hua Hin has some great markets and you could visit Sam Roi Yod for a bit of adventure.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 06:30 PM

The weekend market is fantastic, if you can arrange to be in the city during a Saturday/Sunday time frame. You can probably 'stand' a few hours of the heat and crowds. The weekend market is a 'don't miss' for me everytime I'm in BKK.

I agree that you can probably do 3 locations during your visit. Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Phuket is typical. I could spend all 11 days in just Bangkok, but that's just me!

My advice would be to allow 4 days BKK, 3 days CM, and then 4 days Phuket.

Give us some budget limitations and maybe we can suggest hotels for you.

You don't say what time of year you plan to travel. There are rainy seasons that can affect beach enjoyment. Are you already booked for your BKK arrival and Phuket departure?

Carol
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 07:22 PM

budget is the key...

i prefer more days in each place and thus would prefer 2 places to visit...

i would be inclined to stay 5 nights in bkk and the rest at a beach area in and around phuket of which there are many...
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 07:34 PM

I agree that two stops is plenty. Bangkok and a beach area are a good pair. What time of year are you traveling?
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for help