Appropriate Thai Garb?

Search

Appropriate Thai Garb?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appropriate Thai Garb?

I will be spending two weeks in a small village outside Ranong in the south of Thailand this May. This is my first time to Thailand and I've read that Americans should dress more "conservatively" than they are used to. My questions is, what is and isn't appropriate? Are tanktops or sleaveless shirts considered risque? What about two-piece bathing suits? I'm also wondering if maybe shirts and pants are better considering sun protection and insect bites. I would very much appreciate any suggestions on what I should wear so I can be both comfortable and culturally senstive (I will be doing volunteer work/physical labor and will be no where near a resort where perhaps foreign fashions are more tolerated).
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:36 AM

You shouldn't have any problem wearing what ever you want. Just be respectfully dressed(not too revealing like when you go to church on Sundays) when you are visiting religious or other sacred sites.

Ranong area is mostly Muslim so the women folks down there are quite conservatively dressed.

Your volunteer works will be greatly appreciated and I'm sure that the local population will take good care of you.

Old May 5th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Note that for visiting temples, you'll need long pants or a long dress and sleeves that cover your shoulders. Personally, I'd use those guidelines as well for your attire everywhere except at the beach.

Your also correct that a shirt and pants will be more practical in terms of offerring protection from the sun and mosquitos.
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:34 AM

We met quite a few Thais on a recent trip. In terms of dress they told us the following:
1. Many Thai women wear shorts and t-shirts for swimming, a one-piece swim suit is considered revealing. A two-piece suit is unacceptable for many "respectable" Thai women. In tourist areas bikinis and topless sunning are tolerated on the part of tourists, but Thais don't do it.
2. tanktops, sleeve-less shirts are a no-go. T-shirts or short sleeved shirts are fine.
3. Pants or skirts are preferable to shorts. Look for very light weight pants (or capris) to help with the heat and sun.

Since you will be in a rural Muslim area I'd stick with being a bit more covered up and save the tank-tops and bikinis for another time (or if you go to a more touristed area).
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:46 PM

suggest covering up for both sun/insect protection and for acceptance of locals....t-shirts and regular shorts would seem most appropriate....most people wear skuffs on their feet....i suggest boots or sneakers....no mid rift showing--i think...
you can always adapt once you are there...make sure everything is cotton--no synthetics or you will die....
bring good socks if you plan to wear them--thai socks are terrible...