Anyone been to Kobe recently?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking to hit Kobe for a night and a mornin/lunch g on our way to Arima onsen and are having a bear of a time finding a hotel. I know we can do a Toyoko but I kind of want something with more atmosphere but still affordable. The B unfortunately has been booked solid for months on the day we want to go. We were thinking to be near Sannomiya station as we are coming from Itami airport at 9 PM (ugh) and don't want to waste too much precious time in transit Saturday morning. We need to head over to Arima in the afternoon.

Any suggestions on where to stay/what to do, where to eat? I have read the Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, and (gulp) Fodor's and am still not sure.
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM

Came home from Kobe today. I now always stay at the Crowne Plaza Kobe (formerly Shinkobe Oriental Hotel). It's adjacent to the Shinkobe shinkansen station.

15 min walk downhill to Sannomiya.

I always eat at Kobe beef at Sakamoto. (078) 231-1678. Closed Monday. If interested, I Have directions with photos and some price information. Only 10 seats so reservations are usually required.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:47 PM

Update. Sakamoto closed over a year ago due to Sakamoto-san's health. I've been searching for a worthy replacement and haven't found one yet.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:55 PM

Well, good luck to Sakamoto-san and to you in your search.

There was a very recent poster asking about Kobe. The poster's interest was in saka in Nada-Ku and, of course, Kobe beef. Have you seen it and can you help?
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:26 AM

We cancelled our booking in the end, as we switched our itinerary around on the fly and stayed longer in Kyoto but I did have Hotel Piena booked, which I chose after quite a lot of research. The rooms looked very nice, the reviews were very positive, the rate good. I used booking.com which gave me a good price and the 3-days-before cancellation terms...
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:00 AM

too bad about Sakamoto, been looking for a good restaurant that won't drain the coffers. Any experience eating at a place called Wakkoqu?