Notices

Any of the old Thailand posters here?

Old Jul 7th, 2020, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any of the old Thailand posters here?

I used to frequent the forum here quite often, from '04 to '10, under the cheeky guise of Mango7
Reading the old threads was very entertaining, tonight. Miss you guys, if still here! Also miss the Dogster and Carol very much. Amazimg how the time passes....I know you are here, Bob, somewhere!!
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 03:26 PM

Hey, Mango, not many of the old timers are around these days. It's good to see you here, Mango!
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 07:37 PM

I'm still here.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Hey Kathie! Nice to see you!! Been a loooooong time. Hope you've been well

Hiya Guenmai...great to see you too. Hope youve been ok too!

Feels like eons ago we were somewhat of a close-knit bunch. Miss those days!
Glad I met Dogster. Had chance to meet Carol at Haagen-Daz, but squandered it!

I know Bob is around...is anyone else still here?
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by PaganiPilot View Post
Hey Kathie! Nice to see you!! Been a loooooong time. Hope you've been well

Hiya Guenmai...great to see you too. Hope youve been ok too!

Feels like eons ago we were somewhat of a close-knit bunch. Miss those days!
Glad I met Dogster. Had chance to meet Carol at Haagen-Daz, but squandered it!

I know Bob is around...is anyone else still here?

Well, you know that Carol passed away as I posted to you about it as I visited with her in Jan 2017 in Bangkok, the month before she passed away. She and I had a great visit and talked and laughed for a long time and then I headed back across town to where I was staying. Then, in February she e-mailed me from when she was back home and then a few weeks later, I think it was, she passed away.

As for others in the original Asia group, I have flown over to Hawaii and seen a few and then was just with one in Singapore in January 2020. So, they're around, but might not post anymore or not post as much as before, but there are those of who us have become friends over the years and are in touch on e-mail, in person and some travel on vacation together. Those were the fun days and with all the GTGs that we'd fly around to around the U.S. and also have meet ups in S.E. Asia.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi Guenmai,
Its tragic how so many posters passed in that 10 yr period. Happy I got to meet and have coffee with Dogster in the Novotel Siam lobby. He was a cool dude!

I remember one night in Bkk (ha!) circa 2008, there was a gtg at Nahm restaurant. I did go there with ex wife and saw a bunch of you guys sitting at a large round table with Hanuman and his girls. Wanted to say hi, but I know some ppl there werent too fond of me! Looked fun Food was memorably terrible, lol!

Next time in Bkk (after 9 years!)will stop by Via Vai and have a pizza for Carol

Nice chatting and ttyl

Kurt
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 06:10 PM

Hi Guenmai,
Its tragic how so many posters passed in that 10 yr period. Happy I got to meet and have coffee with Dogster in the Novotel Siam lobby. He was a cool dude!

I remember one night in Bkk (ha!) circa 2008, there was a gtg at Nahm restaurant. I did go there with ex wife and saw a bunch of you guys sitting at a large round table with Hanuman and his girls. Wanted to say hi, but I know some ppl there werent too fond of me! Looked fun Food was memorably terrible, lol!

Next time in Bkk (after 9 years!)will stop by Via Vai and have a pizza for Carol

Nice chatting and ttyl

Kurt

I was at Nahm again in Jan 2020 to check out the food since the new chef had pretty recently taken over. She has a restaurant up in San Franciso that's a hole-in-the-wall place, but reportedly was really good. I don't know how it's going now with the pandemic and all.

The new Nahm was very interesting and I liked it a lot. I also liked the previous Nahm, it's just that the new chef really used a lot of innovation with the new menu and food. I treated my best Thai friend to lunch there as she took a Grab over from work during her lunch break. I've treated her to a meal there before and try to treat her to one, really good meal during my 3 weeks in Bangkok as it's my New Year's gift to her. She and her boyfriend always take me out, too.

https://www.theworlds50best.com/asia...1-30/Nahm.html

Happy Travels!

Old Jul 19th, 2020, 09:43 AM

I am here from time to time, but rarely.

left bkk on Feb 12, 2020, just in time.

find forum very boring the last few years
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 04:51 PM

Alas! It's not like the good old days, is it, Bob?
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob, yes the forum seems dead now...was so lively back in the day. Had lots of fun interacting with all of you. Sad its gone now

Ended up divorcing my thai wife since ive been gone. Haven't been back to Thailand in 9 yrs...missing Bkk v much. Perhaps in 2021??

Guen- thanks for the info on Nahm!
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 04:32 PM

This forum overall is dormant. The fun is gone too for the most part.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacketwatch View Post
This forum overall is dormant. The fun is gone too for the most part.
So sad! Was really a blast to post here back in the early to latter 2000s. So many colorful characters, it was amazing. I do cringe at some of the provocative things i posted, but loved the sometimes fiery responses. Wish I had met most of the ppl here. Fond memories!

Curt
aka Mango7
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 11:09 PM

So sad! Was really a blast to post here back in the early to latter 2000s. So many colorful characters, it was amazing. I do cringe at some of the provocative things i posted, but loved the sometimes fiery responses. Wish I had met most of the ppl here. Fond memories!

Curt
aka Mango7
I think the mods took care of all that.
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 06:37 PM

Never posted here much, but I'm still alive. We have two trips to Thailand booked between now and year-end. I fully expect to have to cancel both.

Dave
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 08:45 AM

It's been months, but wanted to look at some old threads. Not even thinking about traveling with COVID-19.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 05:02 AM

I know Hong Kong pretty well, having lived there for many years but Cicerone gave really great advice and recommendations, does anyone know what happened to her