Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Any hostile experiences in Thailand? What's the truth?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the naughty nighttime industry in Thailand is being slowly run out of business by their government , but what is all this talk on the net about hostility even toward the average western tourist?
Is any of this real, or the hype of disgruntled expatriates there?
I've cancelled my third trip there, set for March and going to take the mid east trip I've wanted to go on for years. I just don't want to feel unwelcome.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:16 PM

What hostiliy? Have no idea what you are talking about and I 'live' in Bangkok..or is this simply a troll??
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:30 PM

As an American/colombian who somewhat lives in bangkok I can say that there is no hostility towards westerners (farang) tourists..

the hostility is more in the expat communtiy.. and it is not realy hostility but the fact that some negative changes are occureing

for instance the government has raised the prices of many visas and have made it more difficult for many of us too stay. so there is a feeling that we are not wanted... even though at the end of the year we put more money into the country then most tourist on a week vacation.

Another issue seems too be that prices in the naughty sceen is going up too much especialy beer. many expat men just feel that they are being squeezed out of going anywhere... most of us came here cuz it's a verry cheep place too live and safe.

For many expat men and women the hostess bars. go-go bars etc. are more of a place too socialize with frainds, watch a soccer game and be around some biutifull women.. NOTHING WRONTG WITH THAT

if you have tons of money then.. there no problem going on..
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:25 PM

I've been to Thailand perhaps 20 times in the last 25 years or so. I can't say that I've ever run into any hostility there. I really can't imagine what you're talking about, unless you are talking about the hositilty of other westerners toward sex tourists.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:26 PM

i have not seen one thing about hostility in thailand....except against chickens....

where are you reading this??? there is absolutely no reason to stay away!!!! i am returning for my 6th time in 10 years this may/june....i will be there 30 days and expect to have no problem at all, except for the occasional tout who i just walk away from.....

bangkok is among the safest cities i have visited in this world, and i have been to lots of them....with the exception of some possible trouble areas in the far south of thailand i have not heard of any problems...

i think you have your story wrong or else you are an alarmist....

BUT YOU ARE GOING TO THE MIDDLE EAST???? NOW THERE IS DANGER....

THIS CERTAINLY IS A HOAX AND SHOULD BE REMOVED BY THE MONITOR!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:32 PM

click on this person's name and you will see the kind of things they have written in the past and judge from that---either crackpot or troublemaker....
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 08:05 PM

he may be getting his info from reading expat web sites like stickman and bangkok phil...

there are plenty of punters and poor expats that gripe on those sites. but it is not intended for the rugular tourist..

If anyone is considering moving too thailand.. then there may be an issue of not feeling welcome. but honestly illeagal alians. or anyone playing the visa run game anywhere in the world probably feels the same.

and I must add that many of the guys who post things on those sites are the types of guys who always say "it was so much better back then".. so any change will be negative for them..

-------

I don't think this guy is a troll cuz he is asking a fairly ligit question..

--------

As far as him going too the midle east. big deal. I personly never felt threatend when I wondered around some axis of eveil countries..

maybe in the end it's the frame of minde in which you go travaling that counts.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:48 PM

artisland referred to "all this talk on the net", which could mean anything. The Net, being democratic, accommodates vast hordes of the lonely, the ignorant and illiterate, the malicious, anti-social, maladjusted and the certifiably deranged, as well as sensible people of goodwill like you and me. It's worse than late-night phone-in radio, and that's pretty damn bad. Citing "the net" as a source of information doesn't get us very far, to say the least!

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

To answer a few questions on my intial post.
Sources from the net include ESL sites. (I am a volunteer teacher of english for immigrants); Expat sites, and the Bangkok post.
I spent a month in the country years ago and 2 weeks last august. I have a friend who lives there and another who travels to Phuket every six months. I would'nt steer anyone away from going there. (well, maybe chickens and now domestic cats)
I did ask a legit question and I pretty much figured it was mostly disgruntled expats as many posters said.
I'm going to Jordan, where I've heard that westerners are treated very warmly. Of course, I read that on the net which can't be trusted.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:55 AM

Sorry if I thought it was a troll but there is a 'world of difference' between 'hostile' and 'disgruntled', most people would view 'hostile' I guess as meaning downright dangerous, which is certainly not the case. A hostile attitude would mean that people were treated with 'hostility', not the case.
Now if you were to ask if some people are 'dsigruntled'..ahhh, now that is a different ball-game altogether. There is certainly nothing in the world for tourists and visitors to worry about, and as far an canceling a trip I think you can be the only one, I certainly would not treat words of people who are 'disgruntled' as a casue to not go to a country.
Jordan by the way is an ok place, the people are very nice indeed, however in my personal opinion is does not come a patch on Thailand. Anyway hope you have a good trip and don't take what people say in forums too seriously, especially when they are expat 'gossip' sites.