Any carry-on restrictions, Intra-Asia?

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any carry-on restrictions, Intra-Asia?

We will check in our bags when flying from the US to Japan, but I think we would find it more convenient to carry them on when we fly from Japan to Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Bangkok. Can we do that if we have "liquids and gels" in our bags? Any other restrictions? How about a very small Swiss Army knife?
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Swiss Army knives of any size are not allowed on planes departing from Japanese airports. They must be checked or left behind.

Liquids or gels...we flew into Japan and made a domestic connection in Tokyo...had no liquids or gels as we had arrived from the US where they weren't allowed. But, there were no signs or notices posted that said they were not allowed for domestic flghts. Don't know about international, as we departed Japan before this whole liquid/gel thing started. I do know that drinks are allowed on domestic flights in Japan...I forgot that I had bought a bottle of tea before checking in, and security caught it in my bag...no problem, they put it into some PET bottle screener for a minute and determined it was in fact tea and returned it to me.

Bag size is an issue...if you plan on having them as carry ons, be sure they are small enough or you may end up checking them after all.

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 03:01 PM

There's no restriction for liquids and gels for those flights, as far as I know. However, I don't think a Swiss Army Knife will be allowed.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I think I will leave the little Swiss army knife at home - I'd hate to have it confiscated. It comes in so handy -- scissors, tweezers, nail file, etc. I will miss having it -- I find some use for it almost every day!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM

I would have actualy been shocked if any airport allowed your Swiss Army gadget, I thought such were not allowed since years and years.
There was an interesting progran on CNN that showed how different the regulations were from one airport to another and also as to where you are flying to, so I would check with the airline to be certain.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:46 PM

any of those things could be put in your checked luggage however, just not in carry-ons...so i would check all bags....in bkk bags have always come out very quickly....its not like usa...
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:55 PM

That CNN program is aired over the weekend 'CNN Business Traveler' with Richard Quest, this week it includes what is discussed here and 'also' takes a good look at the new Bangkok airport which might be of interest to many!
So check your cable guide !
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Japan Air Lines has shown liquid/gel restriction on carry on for sone international flights to the US, UK, Canada, India, Philippines. But there are no restrictions for domestic flights at the moment.

ANA has also smiliar restrictions for international flights but no domestic.

tanigu