(another) Bangkok hotel question

Jul 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

(another) Bangkok hotel question

Hi, I know there are lots of posts about hotels in Bangkok (which I've been searching through) but I have a quite specific request I'm hoping someone can help with!
My husband and I will be travelling to Thailand in November with our little boy (who will be about 18 months when we go). Most of our time in Bangkok will be spent staying with relatives.
While staying with locals is fantastic, they live in an outer area of Bangkok and staying with them means we kind of miss out on the feel of emersing yourself and surviving in a foreign place. We love big Asian cities so this visit we are planning to 'take off' for a night in a city hotel. My problem is that I'm having a hard time deciding which one.
My main requirement is that it has a great view of Bangkok (I love seeing city lights) but given that we will have our son with us my other requirement is that has space for three of us (preferably a suite so we can put him to bed). My other criteria is budget - it's probably our one extravagance in the trip but I don't think I can justify more than $500 on one night's accommodation.
From my research I think the Peninsula would guarantee a great view and a suite there would be great for the three of us, but the suites are a bit beyond our budget. Not sure if we should compromise on the space for the view or if there are other alternatives?
Sorry for the long post but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Jul 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM

For me, the important view to have is of the river and the river traffic, but not everyone feels that way! The Pen would give you that.

Here are a couple of options to consider:

Emporium Suites - a lovely serviced apartment. We visited last time and looked at one and two bedroom suites. Some had balconies that allowed you to see not just city lights but the river.

A high floor suite at the Four Seasons

A suite in the Towers at the Royal Orchid. The Royal Orchid is not glitzy, nor is the lobby impressive, but the Towers offers lots of extras (breakfast, evening cocktails, canapes and desserts, all day snacks and non-alcoholic beverages in the lovely Club with a fabulous view in both directions on the river) as well as wonderful, personalized service from the Towers staff. All Towers rooms are on the top few floors. We always get a suite - I think it's now called an executive suite - which gives you a living room area, a bedroom, a large master bath and half bath off the living room.

A suite at the Shangri-La in the Club wing (sorry, can't remember the name).

You shouldn't have to pay $500 for a nice suite or serviced apartment in Bangkok.
Jul 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Look here:
http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/...cw_default.asp

New. Location, location, location.

This ain't the Pen, or the Oriental - but you are SLAP-BANG in the middle of it all. Check out the restaurant, club floor.
Jul 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM

If you have relatives who are "locals" then it might be worthwhile to check with the Pen for special promotion for residents of Thailand. I see advertisement everyday for Oriental and the Pen with rates around 9,999 baht including breakfast and dinner at their restaurant. Your relatives will have to be the one who book the reservation but you can stay in their place!
Jul 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Hanuman, great idea!
Jul 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the ideas. I'm off to google some more (and email the rellies)...
Jul 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM

i would also call your attention to a special rate now available at the plaza anthenee for 3300 B....look on www.spg.com

i don't think the view from the penn is good of the city but it is fantastic of the river....

look at the banyon tree on sathorn....get a room really high up....all rooms are suites... call the hotel and tell them exactly what you want and that it is a "special occasion"...

the conrad is another hotel you might check out...

i think my prime choice might be the banyon tree....

you could stay almost any place for way under $500 except perhaps the oriental which would push that amount...

Search this Thread