Reload this Page >

Animal abuse in Bali?

Search

Animal abuse in Bali?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 04:54 PM
barbara

Animal abuse in Bali?

This may sound like a strange question, but while researching a possible trip to Bali, I saw a bunch of stuff on the Lonely Planet travel forum about bands of starving/abused dogs running around Bali. I think the general gist of the postings were that since dogs don't serve a useful purpose the Balinese don't have any regard for them, so they just let them starve, or try to hit them with their cars/motorbikes. <BR> <BR>My two young daughters are pretty sensitive, and we're all vegetarians. I don't really want to spend a lot of money to go be depressed on holiday (we were in tears when I saw all of the elephants chained up in road-side zoos/animal shows in Phuket)---so, should I avoid Bali? If I went, I wouldn't just stay in a resort. I'd like to visit some of the villages and travel into the hills---but I've never read anything about roving bands of starving dogs in any of the travel books I've read. Any comments or info would be appreciated. Thanks, Barbara <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 03:58 AM
Sue

Hi Barbara: We were in Bali a couple of weeks ago for two days. In that two days we were all over Bali. We saw lots of dogs, and although a bit on the thin side, we saw NO bands of starving dogs at any time. <BR>Bali isn't for everyone, some parts are quite primative. We thought it was fascinating and plan on returning in the near future. <BR>If you go, have a great time. <BR>Sue

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 06:27 PM
Teresa

Hi Barbara, <BR> <BR>My husband, I and two young children holidayed in Bali 18 months ago. We are animal lovers. It's true that there are many dogs in Bali and although they look underfed, I don't think they are. We saw no signs of abuse, or of anyone trying to hit them with their cars or motorbikes. We had a great holiday, hope you do too. <BR> <BR>Teresa

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 11:01 PM
sally

Hi Barbara, <BR>My partner and I went to Bali approx. 1 year ago and stayed in Sanur. <BR>Like you I am an animal lover and was appalled at the treatment of dogs in Bali. Unfortunately this ruined my trip. Whilst the people are really wonderful and the island itself beautiful, I could not enjoy myself whilst seeing dogs suffer. <BR>I saw many dogs who were not only clearly starving but had numerous injuries as well. These included severe limps, mange and open wounds. <BR>On one horrible occassion we came aross a puppy who was I believe was close to dying. He was unable to move and was foaming at the mouth. People, including tourists casually walked around the dog. This I found quite unbelievable. I went back to my hotel which was nearby and tried unsuccessfully to find a vet or service able to help. In desperation I considered paying someone to put the dog out of it's misery but couldn't find anyone willing to help. My only regret is that I didn't do more to help the puppy. <BR>I am not sure where the other repliers stayed but I guess they were more fortunate in not seeing what I did. <BR>Personally I would not return to Bali but I know many who love it there and return again and again. <BR>Regards, Sally <BR>

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 12:26 PM
merriem

Sally, I'm with you! We were in Bali about three weeks ago, and although I cannot say if the dogs were abused. They were for sure not "well cared" for. I too saw one with open wounds, and all of the dogs looked very thin. Bali isn't for everyone. There are many lovely places to visit and "soak in the culture"....Bali is not on my return list. If you are looking for a warm beach type vacation....try Tahiti. Bali is a long way to travel. Some friends stayed at the Hyatt, it was very nice $170 a night, and dinner ran about $100. Those prices are very similar to many closer, cleaner, more stimulating, and possibly safer destinations.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Royboy

I've been to Bali and China several times and I can tell you that Bali cannot begin to match China in animal abuse. In China I was in a taxi that purposely swirved to run over a handsome little dog - had to be someone's pet. We could hear it bumping along under the car!! Out the back window I could see the dog jumping around in the street. When I asked the driver to stop, the guide assured me that the dog was fine! In the markets and in the countryside we saw live dogs for sale as meat. And "special" restaurants have cages hanging on the front of the building with all kinds of animals, including dogs and cats, where you choose the one you want prepared for dinner. If dogs in Bali bothered you, and I sympathize with you, don't even think about visiting China.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 05:46 PM
Gigi

I don't want to sound harsh, but I live in Malaysia and I can tell you that most of Southeast Asia can be a real eye opener for to life outside the US and other well-developed western nations. I wish every child in the U.S. would be required to visit any country in SE Asia before they graduate from high school. Human life and rights are not placed in high regard here and therefore it should not be surprising that animal rights non-existant. There are stray dogs and cats all over this part of the world and it is very sad. It is a fact of life here. This is not a reason to avoid visiting however, and it might just galvanize your daughters to decide that they want to make a difference in the world and even in their own community. And truly, I'm not sure there is anywhere in the world that one could see only beauty and hide from what is unpleasant, if there were, I think we would all live there. Bali is beautiful and educational. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 10:03 AM
me

pay attention to gigi above. If the real world scares you then stay home.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 07:59 AM
Jurgen

I think many of you people would be better off sticking to Disney World.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 11:00 PM
momrath

the balinese who are hindu actually have a very high regard for life -- human and animal. that's one of the reasons that there are so many stray dogs: they don't believe in destroying them or neutering them. in southeast asia pet food is considered an unthinkable luxury. the daily fare of the neighborhood animals depends on the income level of the neighborhood, which in most cases means no excess. medical care even for humans is rudimentary. <BR> <BR>now china is another story all together. ask about the popularity of black dog at chinese new year . . . <BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Judy

Two years ago in Bali our taxi driver told that the people eat dog for special occasions. The ultimate abuse!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Jurgen

Damned vegetarians get everywhere! Disney World serves hamburgers Judy. Still, I'm sure you would be better off their.