Angkor Wat Sunrise

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angkor Wat Sunrise

What is the best way to get there? We are on a tour and don't want to pay $75.00 p/p for this option.

Do we get a tuktuk to take us and if so, will he wait? How much should it cost? Is there another solution?

We are staying at the Somadevi Angkor Hotel if that makes any differance.

Thanks,

Lynnie
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM

You can hire a car and driver and guide for a whole day for less than $75 pp!

I'd get a car and driver to take me rather than a tuk tuk. Ask your hotel to get you a car and driver, or ask some of the drivers standing arounf outside your hotel. Yes, the driver will wait for you. Negotiate a price with the driver, knowing that a car and driver for a full day is about US$25.

By the way, standard price for a car, driver and guide for a full day is in the $50-60 range per car (not per person). It is always extra for the more distant temples, such as Banteay Srei.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:56 AM

i too would ask the hotel....
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:56 AM

i would think you could do it for $10 or so...
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:47 AM

I would take a tuk tuk, unless you just have a problem riding in them for some reason. You can arrange a ride with any tuk tuk driver the evening before. Just walk outside your hotel and arrange it with whichever one strikes your fancy. It will probably cost $10-15.

If you arrange it with your hotel, you'll just pay more.

Be advised there are hordes of people there at sunrise, especially in high season. I mean HORDES.

Yes the tuk tuk will wait. A tuk tuk will wait for you for hours anywhere anytime for the round trip fare. And you won't have to look for them...they will find you when you emerge.

Spray yourself down good before you go. That time of day is malaria time.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go the tuktuk route.

Is January high season? What time should we go? What time would we get back? Does the tuktuk driver that we make our plans with speak English? Do they drop us off where we need to be or do we just follow the throngs? So many questions.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:40 PM

if you do a search with some of the keywords on this cambodia forum or on the Siem Reap forum on Trip Advisor you will find more information than you could possibly use! And many of your questions will be answered.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM

Angkor Wat at sunrise? Why? The most unique thing about the temple is the fact that it faces WEST, not east like all other temples. At sunrise the whole thing will be in shadows from the main causeway.

This whole "See [insert famous monument here] at sunrise" thing seems cooked up to extract more money from tourists.

Been there, done that, don't get it.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM

We arrived at Angkor just after sunrise and had the whole place to ourselves. We did an hour of walking meditation though the halls of Angkor. It was magical.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Having the place to yourself is something I can definitely fully appreciate.

All of the sunrise things I've ever been roped into have been shared with a lot of other people. I'm always left thinking "I got up at 4:00 am for this?"
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Very valid point, Michael. I just assumed that the sun would rise over Angkor Wat and it would be a sight to behold.

SInce it isn't, I'm glad to know I'll be sleeping in that day. Who wants to get up at 4 on vacation.

This reminds me of a Danube river cruise I took. There was a $60.00 option for the "Opera" in Vienna. I signed up enthusiastically with about 80 others (DH wisely stayed back) and attended what closely resembled a high school recital in an auditorium while seated on folding chairs. On the way back, the busload of people raved about how wonderful the "Opera" was in Vienna, how talented the musicians and singers (1 soprano, 1 tenor) were, and the fabulous ballerina. I'm glad I went because if I had heard the gushing I would have thought it was Beverly Sills and Pavarotti, with Pavel Kogen conducting.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:03 AM

Lynnie, the good news is that you don't have to decide right now. While your tour wants you to pay (outrageously) upfront, you can decide to go at sunrise or any other time on the spur of the moment. You won't have a chance to have any of the temples to yourself with your tour group, but you could hire a driver to take you to one of the "minor" temples early or late.

If you are a photographer, early morning or late afternoon light is best.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Jed

I agree with Michael. We were there at dawn, and the photos I took showed it to be all shadows. I was able to make them better with Picasa. I'm not sure the experience was worth it, but some, like Kathie, may find it 'magical'.

If you go, please tell us what you thought of it.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM

We got up at 4 AM and headed to Angkor Wat and felt like it was worth it. I mean, how often are you in Siem Reap? The best pictures are right as the sun comes up... make sure and take a tripod if you can.

We got a full day from a tuk tuk driver for about 14 dollars

A couple of our Angkor sunrise pictures are here:

http://www.tylernofziger.com/message...php?f=25&t=323
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the pics Tyler, makes me reconsider. Like Kathie says, I'll just decide when I get there.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Well we did the sunrise once... The second day we slept in until 9 AM haha. I think it was worth it and I'm glad I did it now... good luck! =)