Angkor Wat - Shoes???

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angkor Wat - Shoes???

Will shoes like these http://www.keenfootwear.com/women/veniceH2.html be enough protection at Angkor Wat or do I need to bring some light weight hikers instead? I was also thinking about wearing those sandals to the sites in BKK, would they be okay at the temples and such there too??
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM

I think you'll find lightweight hikers are too hot for you at Angkor. The sandals you link to would be fine for the sites in Bangkok. Whether they will be enough for you at Angkor depends on you. I found I wanted something with closed toes and full-foot coverage so opted for Merrill Jungle Mocs. There is lots of climbing over uneven surfaces. What I like about the sandals you chose is that they do protect your toes. So for Angkor, they are the best sandals I've seen, but the question still remains whether you'll want more foot protection than that.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

What about snakes and bugs and other creepy crawlies? Do I need to worry about those at Angkor?
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:35 AM

We just came back last week from our trip which included 3 days, 4 nights in Siem Reap. Our guide, Dara, took one look at the sandals I was wearing when he picked us up at the airport and told me I needed sturdier shoes. I wore tennis shoes/sneakers and was really glad I did. Even though sandals might have been cooler, there was enough climbing and walking on rough surfaces to make me glad I had brought them. And in 3 days, we saw no snakes, creepy crawlies, or anything like that.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:55 AM

LA, while it is certainly possible to run into snakes, I spent a week there, often at the less-visited sites and didn't see any. And while there were mosquitos (especially in the evening in town), I didn't run into any of the monster-sized bugs I've seen elsewhere.

You'll want something with good traction, good support, and that will protect your feet.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, thanks for all your help!

Sharon212, we'll be using Dara as a guide too. I wonder if he'd think those sandals aren't sturdy enough, since they have toe protection and all? I'd really rather not drag my hikers or tennis shoes with me on a three week trip for three days of use.

What about these? http://www.keenfootwear.com/women/newportH2.html or these http://www.keenfootwear.com/women/seattle.html

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 01:08 PM

Hi LA FadeAway,

My family and I visited Siem Reap in December...please see "Just Back: Terryr's report about Siem Reap, Part II." In my report I talked about the clothes and shoes that I wore in addition to the sites that we saw...as well as our experience with Dara, our tour guide, and Rithy, his driver.

Good walking shoes is essential, especially if you are going to go up and down the steep "mtns" and hills and steps where some of the temples are situated plus many temples have uneven ground and boulders which you will be walking on. I was first going to just bring my walking sneakers because I too worried that my Merrells would feel too hot, but instead, was so grateful to have brought my lightweight Merrell Ventilator Lowrise shoes with me with padded toes and really good treads on the bottom...I have worn them at the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks in mid July, also in Santa Fe in summer along with coolmax short socks...and never felt they were too hot. They provided me with support and peace of mind that I could walk through any conditions and not worry about slippage or twisting my ankles. However, you would not want these in Bangkok or other cities...just store your walking shoes back in your suitcase knowing that they have served its purpose!

Hope this and my report is helpful to you! Will you please send my family's warm regards to Dara and Ponheary? The Ly family are wonderful and generous, and when they are not tourist guides for the rest of us, they spend their time giving to the poor families of Cambodia and helping provide supplies to the children so that they can attend school. In fact, our older daughter, after having completed a year of teaching in Thailand, returned to Siem Reap just now to do volunteer teaching there before her return to the States...and spent an amazing 3 weeks there and with the Ly family (she stayed at their guesthouse). She saw firsthand how hard Ponheary and Dara work as social advocates for the poor...things that we tourists would never know about them unless you ask.

If you want more information, let me know and I can provide a website to learn more and about the Ponheary Ly (Dara's sister) Foundation. Your contributions will go directly to the neediest children and families.

Have a wonderful trip, LA!

Terry
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Sharon212, I forgot to ask... what type of sandals where you wearing that Dara thought they weren't sturdy enough, just for comparisons sake?
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Terry, thank you so much for your reply and info. I am really looking forward to our time with Dara in Cambodia!