Andaman and Nicobar Islands

Nov 11th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Andaman and Nicobar Islands

We're planning a trip to India in late 2005, and are interested in doing some snorkeling as part of the trip. Has anyone been to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and done any snorkeling there? If yes: how are the reefs? Did they suffer from coral bleaching like much of the Indian Ocean area did in 1998? how are the accomodations there?

Thanks.
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:43 AM

Hope someone can come in on this who has been, I have not. There was some talk a while back about 'opening up' the islands but that has gone quiet again, they seem wonderful though I believe you have to get permission to visit (check with Indian Embassy ), only flights are from Chennai(Madras) or Kolkatta(Calcutta), I believe accommodation is limited. When there was talk of opening up the islands some time back I surfed for more information, there was some, not much, they seem relatively unspoilt and that probably means not much choice in where to stay etc. I would also be interested if anyone can shed more 'light'.
Nov 13th, 2004, 10:32 PM

I sailed into the Andamans from Phuket.Make sure your Papers are in order,it took me four days to check in,thats normal by the way,the Indian redtape is a nightmare,I was there two years ago,it may have changed a LITTLE,as we say in Thailand "nit noi".
You cannot just arrive in the Andamans,you must first get your three month visa from outside ,they will only allow you 30 days in the Andamans only.Nicobars are out of bounds even for us Yachties,my friend sailed into their waters and got fined with a short jail sentence in Port Blair,The newspapers accused him of spying.Can't type more in box.Email me.
Nov 14th, 2004, 03:22 PM
dlh

SydneyX,
Thank for the reply to OP. We have also been wanting to go to Andaman and Nicobar for some time. We would be taking our yacht from Singapore but would leave out of Phuket(of course). Where are the best places to anchor and snorkel please? BTW the draft of our yacht is 4 meters. Thanks!
Nov 14th, 2004, 03:25 PM
dlh

SyndneyX,

Just for clarity - I was asking about snorkeling and nice anchorage at Nicobar. Apologies for the lack of clarity! Thank you!
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:52 PM
dlh

UGH! I meant Andaman not Nicobar - so sorry my sentances disappear once I type them out and I can't reread them unless I hit "preview my reply" - which I should apparently do from now on!
Thank you again!
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:23 AM

Hi DTH
4mtr draft wow! must be a SUPER YACHT.
I'm going away for two days.Send me an email and I'll get some information together for you,will reply later in the week.
Sydneyx