Anantara Riverside Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2015, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly a big thank you to Bob ( rhkkmk ) for recommending this hotel for my in laws 50th wedding anniversary celebration.

At the suggestion of Internetwiz whom we met up with in Kuala Lumpur, I emailed the general manager to advise him of the reason for our forthcoming visit ( I also took the liberty of dropping the name of their valued guests, the Kimballs into the email) - it worked a treat!

On arrival the reception staff could not have been more welcoming. A master class in how to check in guests! I was advised that we had been upgraded to a Junior Suite and a Premier Suite. Resisting the temptation take the Premier Suite for ourselves, we took the Junior Suite overlooking the river and are delighted. My in-laws were simply blown away by their massive two roomed Premier Suite complete with wrap around balcony. They have never stayed anywhere like it.

We have stayed in many of the riverside hotels over the years including the Peninsula and the Mandarin Oriental and, so far, this place wins hands down.

Once again a big thank you to Bob for his recommendation and to Claudia for the suggestion to. Email the GM
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 05:56 AM

I am soooo glad it works for you all.

while the hotel may not be as glitzy as some bkk hotels, it delivers day in and day out as a fine property.

certainly even your FIL can find something to eat at the massive breakfast.

try a relaxed lunch at the pool bar.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 05:58 AM

Clive, I'm so glad things worked out for all of you. Don't share my "secret" with too many people or the hotels will wise up and save them for their paying guests.

Happy traveling. I'm still envious as I toil away at work (and dream about my next trip) ...
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 08:07 AM

Glad to hear that it gets your seal of approval!
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 02:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
How nice! Sounds wonderful.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 02:39 PM

Fantastic, glad to hear you are having a great time!
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 07:41 PM

Thanks for this report. DH and I are going for three nights towards the end of November (including Thanksgiving Day) at the suggestion of rhkkmk--and your description makes me all the more excited. We leave for Kathmandu 31 weeks from today (but whose counting).
Right now we have a flexible junior suite (on someone else's advice). As soon as we get travel insurance, we plan to cancel it and change to a nonrefundable prepaid lower rate.

We chose the junior suite on the suggestion of someone in this forum--the club benefits made it seem like we could make both breakfast and dinner from club privileges. Two questions: are the appetizers indeed enough for supper if we have a large lunch? Has anyone stayed in the riverside deluxe rooms and could they compare them to junior suite?

Mille grazie!
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 11:23 AM

the suites are bigger traditionally, but the whole place has had a reno so configurations have changed a bit.

for a number of years we always chose the river front rooms but after about 20 years we no longer care and just pay for the cheapest. some of the less expensive rooms this year face the on-going construction which MIGHT present some noise problems.

the lounge nibbles are quite nice. some nights it might be enough for dinner. the wine/beer/booze is excellent and in Thailand an excellent benefit if you imbibe. bar tabs in Thailand run up very quickly.
Old Apr 1st, 2015, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

We had a junior suite which was great, my inlaws had a premier suite which was fantastic! The JS is large with a separate sitting area - very nice but I can't compare to a deluxe room.

As we were upgraded we paid for the Kasara club @ 799baht pppn++. As Bob says drinks are expensive so it is good value from that perspective. Sandwiches and canapés at lunchtime and canapés plus a couple of hot options at night ( pasta or pizza) we did use the opportunity to skip dinner on a couple of nights but I wouldn't say it was a dinner substitute.
Whichever way you go, I would strongly suggest you include the breakfast option as the buffet is fantastic - in fact go for that and you can easily skip lunch!!

Saw the work going on that bob refers to but can't say I noteiced any noise (but we were riverside).

Great choice of hotel - would definitely stay again!