Anantara resort Golden Triangle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying here for 4 nights mid feb 95, what should we go and see and how much do trips cost, what would it cost to hire a car and driver for a day ?
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Sorry ment mid feb 05
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:41 PM

Do a search on this board on the Anantara. I did a long report on it in Nov/Dec 2003 and Bob did another report after his trip in May.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:15 PM

this is a quiet part of thailand...there are things to do outside of the hotel property but all require transportation except the opium museum which is directly across the street....it is a must see too---allow a couple of hours...

i hired a car when i arrived at the chiang rai airport...small toyota and for 3 days it was 4200B, all inclusive except gas...i was glad that i had it...the company was avis and i did it on their thai website...excellent newish car...the driving is very easy...

i did not see any taxis around the chiang saen area, but there may be some....you can rent a car and driver throuth the hotel...it is quite expensive...their cost to pick you up at the airport is about $50 each way, so that is an example...

there are not many restaurants around the hotel, although we did eat one nite at the thai kitchen, on the river south of the hotel before chiang saen...it was very good and cheap...there is at least one other large hotel in the area which has a restaurant...

the meals at the anantara are quite expensive, but are very good...we especially liked the italian restaurant...

make sure that you do at least one cooking class...it takes from 8:30-2PM..it was a highlight of our thai trip, by the way...

the deceased princess mother (kings's mother) lived in the area at the end of her life....her estate is open to the public as a museum and working farm/planatation...it is well worth at least 1/2 day....it is about 45 minutes from the hotel---name: doi tung.....

you can make visits to myanmar and laos from this area...requires an on the spot visa....250B for myanmar...

boat trips on the river...

the pool is fantastic at the hotel...there are 4 elephants at the hotel and there is an education program which you can participate in...the spa is worldclass...

we stayed 3 nites and wished we had had another day...you will be perfect...
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Someone has topped my report for you.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Furter above messages my tour company provide transportation from the airport to thr Anantara, I would like to be able to hire a car and driver for a day whilst based at the Anantara, is that only going to be possible via the hotel reception which I understand will be expensive.

If there are other possibilities how do i go about it?????
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 07:06 PM

john44 -- i posted info for your inquiry on kathie's anantara report.