Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anantara Question for Crosscheck, others

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of four (14, 12) planning a trip to Thailand next June/July. We plan to spend 4 nights at the Anantara and have a question about room size. We usually go ahead and book two rooms when we are on vacation so everyone has their privacy and the kids don't have to spend nights on rollaway beds. From reading crosscheck's report, it sounds like she comfortably shared a suite with 4 people. Where did the boys sleep? Did the hotel charge extra? anyone have thoughts on 4 to a room at the Anantara? Same question for the Peninsula.
Thanks.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

clarification -- the price for two deluxe rooms (205 per room on slh) is about the same price as one suite (425), so I guess the real question is should we get two deluxe rooms or are the suites that much nicer that we should go for one suite.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM
jgg

I'm sure Crosscheck will answer shortly, but just wanted to mention that I just made a reservation for our family of four (15, 12) at the Anantara in one suite in March.

This is how they explained the bed situation to me: "We can put one extra bed for your children as a complimentary and during turn down service our housekeeping will turn down a daybed to the extra bed for other children."

This ought to work well for us. I thought the price quoted was good (much less than on their website, and includes breakfast for all 4 of us, RT transfer from the airport, vouchers to the opium museum, and 6 pieces of laundry per day.)

From everything I can tell, you can't book 4 people in a room at the Peninsula. We plan on booking two rooms, but their rates for 2008 aren't up yet.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM

jgg, if you e-mail the Penn, they might give you the 2007 rate for 2008 if you reserve now.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:08 PM

The Anantara's website has deluxe rooms with breakfast in June/July 2008 priced at $170.00 each. Suites are $390.00 with breakfast. Rate is Anantara Breezes.

They also have packages but rates for them are not loaded that far in advance. I'd e-mail them for package rates if you are interested in that.

At the Anantara, 4 could fit in a suite, but not in a room I don't think. If you book a suite, you get the extra benefits listed, but they told me by e-mail that if you book through SLH or Virtuoso and are upgraded to a suite, you do not get the benefits, just the bigger room...you might want to ask yourself about that, because it wouldn't be the first time for more than one answer to the same question. Either way, you would not get the transfer included in suites as the upgrade is on arrival, and the transfer is prebooked.

The Peninsula has connecting rooms. They don't allow 4 adults per room...kids over 11 are considered adults.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:08 PM
jgg

Craig - I phoned the overall Peninsula reservation line and they said they couldn't book me until later. I will e-mail the Peninsula Bangkok directly and see what they say.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:20 PM
jgg

Just want to clarify that when I said the rate they quoted me was "much less than on their website" that is mostly referring to the things that were incl. in the rate (i.e. breakfast for 4, RT transfer, etc.)
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Hi AmyH,
Love that so many families are duplicating our trip - wish we could join you. Here are your answers:

Anantara:
Bottom line is the suite is a nicer space than two rooms (and just as large), but you won't have as much privacy. Worked for us and I would repeat the experience because the standard rooms were more ordinary and seemed less exotic and architectural. Also we liked the togetherness and spent time in the living area playing cards, etc.

The suite was quasi-loftlike in its openness. Was about the size of two standard hotel rooms with a revolving t.v. cabinet between the two areas. Master side had a king bed and the living room side had a day bed adorned with exquisite Jim Thomson fabrics. Space was large enough to leave our the rollaway set up throughout our stay.

Spa-like tub was also open - You will have to send the kids out to the gym if you want a romantic bath, or else close the shutters.

Hotel did not charge extra for kids and included breakfast for four. Booked through SLH but found out in advance we couldn't get upgrade because it was Xmas time.

Peninsula:
Two connecting rooms (on the 33rd floor, booked and upgraded through Amex Platinum) felt like a suite because there is a huge foyer area in between the two rooms (and both rooms had large sitting areas).
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:40 AM
jgg

Just wanted to report back that the Peninsula said they have not launched their package for 2008 yet (atleast not for March). They said I could book for the rack rate now, and when their packages are listed can change the rate accordingly. So, no luck on getting 2007 rates for 2008 - I've had luck before with that but only with smaller hotels. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Craig.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I signed up for slh, so I will book a suite with them! I did remember cross check saying that the suites were definetely more interesting then the regular rooms. Now if only I coould decide on a beach spot. Way too many choices.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:43 AM

I actually got a better deal on a suite directly with the hotel than I could have gotten with SLH so check both before booking.