Anantara Golden Triangle

Search

Anantara Golden Triangle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anantara Golden Triangle

As part of a 2 week trip to Thailand/Cambodia in July 2013, we would like to have an authentic, ethical elephant experience. The Anantara Golden Triangle seems to offer this, with the added bonus of having the elephant camp onsite and being a nice resort in a rural setting. But, it seems to be insanely expensive. Their website is quoting about $3,000 for a 2 night stay (2 adults, 1 six year old). I've checked various dates but their pricing doesn't seem to vary much over time. Does anyone know if they offer special promotions if I were to wait longer to book, or if I contact them directly will they discount their rates.
As it is that is out of our price range so we're considering going to Chiang Mai instead, to the TECC or Patara, but Ananatara remains the first option.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 07:54 AM

In July, you should certainly be able to get a better price. They may not have determined prices for July yet. Contact the hotel directly, or, an agent in Bangkok got a great rate for someone here - "Eddie" at the Am Ex Office in Bangkok. email [email protected]
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM

That price is for an all-inclusive option, with meals, elephants and other activities. When we went (about 5 yrs ago) we were able to opt for a la carte, which was much more reasonable. Contact SLH (small luxury hotels of the world) and check out their offers - we received an upgrade and all sorts of other perks from them during prime season.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I didn't see an option that wasn't all-inclusive, they may have done away with a la carte. And Kathie, I will follow-up on your suggestions.

One of my other concerns with the Anantara GT, and more generally Chiang Rai, is that it is a bit out of the way. Not necessarily a bad thing, but after this part of the trip we are planning on going to Koh Samui, which can be done as a direct flight from Chiang Mai, but requires a BKK stop from Chiang Rai (with a 6 year old in tow). Is the Anantara really worth it? What's really sold me on it is the on-site elephant experience (again, convenience with a 6 year old), and the fact that it appears to be a top notch elephant experience. Or should I just go to Chiang Mai and do an elephant camp there?
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Just my 2 cents, but you could just as easily -- and probably for far less hassle and FAR less money -- stay in Chiang Mai and do day trips (or overnights should you so choose) at a place like Elephant Nature Park. ENP is also a highly ethical rehabilitation center focused solely on rehabbing orphaned or mistreated animals in their natural habitat. Lek, its founder, is an amazing woman who has dedicated her life to the cause. She's a real hero and a visit to their park was one of the most memorable experiences in all of my travels so far.

Now, you won't get any of the glitz and glamour of the Anantara at that elephant camp but you would get all the reward in my opinion, at the very least. You could *always* make up for the posh part by staying at fab hotel in Chiang Mai (like the Dhara Devi, for example.)

If it were me (and it's not) I'd stay at a glitzy place in CM, visit elephant camps from there and have far greater flexibility to get back to Koh Samui when you need to.

Some links for your perusal:

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/

http://honestlywtf.com/travel/dhara-dhevi/
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks filmwill, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. My backup plan was an overnight or 2 at the TECC in Lampang, and then a splurge at a posh resort in CM (Four Seasons or Dhara Devi). My only problem with the ENP (or similarily Patara Camp) is that it could be too long a day for a 6 year old. But they are still an option. I was trying to kill 3 birds with one stone at Anantara; splurge at a posh resort, beatiful rural setting (rice fields etc etc), and onsite elephant camp for convenience in case travel weariness or illness sets in. I've got some thinking to do!
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:47 AM

The Anantara is out of the way, which is part of its charm. The Golden Triangle area is lovely.

Chiang Mai is a huge, sprawling city. There are two excellent elephant camps near CM, the Thai Elephant Conservation Center and the Elephant Nature Park. Those are the only two elephant camps near CM that I would consider. If you opt for CM, I'd stay somewhere outside of CM, like the Four Seasons rather than in town. The Dhara Devi is a bit Disney-esque for my tastes, but some people love it.

Either option works. See if you can get any special prices for the Anantara, and look into the Four Seasons. www.fourseasons.com/chiangmai/
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Hmm...Despite the price, the Anantara does not feel like a posh resort, more rural rustic chic in a standout location - almost the Asian version of an African safari lodge. When we were there it was not at all glitzy or glamorous - most guests lived in down vests and hiking boots.

We loved being right on the Mehkong, visiting the nearby markets as part of the cooking school (kids can participate), plus the Opium museum, hikes to hill tribes, the Chaiag Rai market and day trips to Burma. My kids were older, but there lots of other kids, plus great amenities for them - squash, a great pool and a game room. They also played basketball with the staff. And you can drop in and hang out with the elephants whenever.

Your logistics do seem to work better with Chiang Mai and ENP sounds terrific. Sounds as if you can't go wrong.