Anantara and Mosquitos

Jun 16th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Anantara and Mosquitos

Hi,
We are going to the Anatara Golden Triangle at the end of July and I have a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to help with. We got a deal that doesn't include breakfast, because we usually prefer to be flexible when away. Is the hotel in the middle of nowehere, or are there any small shops/cafes within walking distance?
Other bit: I've just seen a sonic mosquito repeller on ebay - has anyone ever tried one of these? Do they work?!
Many thanks,
Anna
Jun 16th, 2005, 06:40 AM

The Anantara is fairly remote. There are no restaurants or shops within walking distance. You may want to see if you can get breakfast included.

The research indicates that the sonic mosquito repellers aren't of much use. You need a repellant with 25-50% deet to be effective. The mosquitos are hungry and remember, this is a malarial risk area.
Jun 16th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Do also note that in addition to Malaria Dengue Fever has to be considored, I think someone posted here before about certain mossies carry one/day or night or something. Living here as others we don't take Malaria Pills, you can't really ( well,, I guess we could ) but not really practical to take for years and years, we just have to make sure we don't get bitten, part of life. But if you are visiting take all the necessary precuations, that is about all you can do. The burning coils used we find very effective, just take as much care as you can.
Jun 16th, 2005, 09:22 AM

James, here's the info you alluded to:

Mosquitos of the species that carries malaria are active from dusk to dawn and tend to breed in rural areas.

Mosquitos of the species that carries dengue are active during the day and tend to breed in cities and towns.
Jun 18th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We're very aware of the mosquito risk as we are taking children - have bought out the local chemists supply of 50% Deet sprays and wipes, have the plug-in things and candles and coils etc etc. as well as Malarone for the malaria risk. We're going to be at the Anantara for 6 days.

Could someone tell me where the nearest hospital is? We've taken the kids to lots of places before and needed the hospital when in India, so now I like to check it out before we go.
Thanks again,
Anna
Jun 18th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Anna, you may want to consider taking the anti-malarial pills. I came home from Costa Rica a couple of weeks ago and developed a very high fever. Since I didn't take any anti-malaria pills, I became worried when my doctor (and the CDC and WHO websites) said it had to be treated as a "medical emergency". I had to be tested for malaria. It turned out negative but it gave me a real scare since I didn't take any anti-malaria meds for this trip. I used 100% DEET but still managed to get bitten. Even if I had taken the pills, I probably would have had to be tested anyway but I don't think I would have been the nervous wreck I was for those few days, You're better off being protected and I've taken several different kinds of pills in the past, including Doxycycline and Malarone and never had any ill effects from them. You still need to protect yourself with DEET since nothing is 100% guaranteed to work and as Kathie said, the mosquitos that carry dengue are out during the day and there is no pill or shot for preventing that. I'm going to Borneo in September and you can bet, I will be taking the Malarone this time!
Jun 18th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Laurie, maybe I wasn't clear but we are all taking Malarone for as long as we are in the malarial area. We've taken different malaria tablets before and I wouldn't ever risk not doing so with the kids, we just have to put the pills in a spoonful of jam and not worry about their teeth for a few days. Thanks for the advice, and I hope you're feeling much better now