Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

ANA First Class; Hyatt Shanghai Executive Suite; Shanghai dining

Jun 11th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi, all,

Using some long-accumulated United airlines miles and Hyatt hotel points for an upcoming trip to Asia:

1) Could only at this point get on ANA first class across the Pacific, and business class within Asia (no first class offered). The other Star Alliance carriers did not have space available. How does ANA first or business class compare to other airlines (United, Thai, Singapore Air)? Any comments/tips would be appreciated.

2) I am considering using Hyatt points for an Executive Suite at the Grand Hyatt Shanghai. Has anyone stayed in an Executive Suite there? Is it worth the 50% premium (18000 points versus 12000 points) to get an Executive Suite versus a standard room?

3) Any dining recommendations:
a) moderate range -- $20-$35 for dinner per person -- or cheaper?
b) splurge restaurant?

Many thanks for your experiences and insights.

John H.
Jun 12th, 2003, 02:50 AM

ANA has 2 very different 1st-class products from the U.S. Flights from JFK have the new sleeper suites, which are as good as or better than the ones on Cathay, Singapore, and British Air (that is, the best in the industry). Flights from all other ANA gateways have the oler first-class seats -- they recline to flat, but they're not nearly as spacious or comfortable (for sleeping) as the suites.

Service on ANA is extremely attentive and polite.
Jun 12th, 2003, 07:58 AM

I just flew first class Bangkok - Tokyo - JFK and return via Los Angeles - Tokyo - Bangkok. As Rizzuto has mentioned two different type of seats offered. The older planes, their 777 have the old seats(as described in the previous post) and the newer planes and the refitted 747s have the new style seats. As for the new seats the only thing that is inferior to Cathay, Singapore Airline or BA is the entertainment. Not as many selection on shows and movies since quite a few of the movies are Japanese with only Japanese sound track.

From my observation business class on the newer planes is excellent offering a seat that can be turn into a bed.

Check the rates for the different hotels in Shanghai. After the SARS thing I'm sure a lot of them will be offering very low rates so it might be better to pay and save the points. I've only stayed at the Fourseasons in Shanghai so can't really comment. One other hotel which I visited and like very much is the Ritz Carlton. It is next door to the most modern and extravagant shopping mall in Shanghai.
Jun 13th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies. I saw that only the NY flights on ANA had the new seats -- oh, well. As long as the seat reclines the full 180 degrees that will be worth it. Glad to hear that the business class product in Asia is very good.

Many thanks.

John H.
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Am a week away from being in Shanghai -- any restaurant suggestions would be great!

Thanks.

john
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:25 AM

For a lighter, less oily version of Shanghainese food try '1221' (owned and run by a Hong Konger)--bustling, modern, and popular.

For Western try 'M on the Bund', on top of the 1923 Hua Xia Bank building on The Bund. This is the companion to Michelle Garnaut's 'M at the Fringe" in Hong Kong, and has almost the same menu--her favourites with a hint of Middle East--including the famous salted roast lamb and Pavlova.

Any concierge can direct you, or look in one of the free listings magazines. In haste...

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html