Reload this Page >

Americans in Vietnam - any problems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:31 AM
USA

I have never been to Vietnam but would like to go. I was a child during the 70's and the war/conflict/whatever you want to call it and honestly don't know much about what happened. My question is, do the Vietnamese resent the USA and American tourists? Surely there are still lots of people who remember some awful things the US did there. If so, is it different in the north and south? Thanks for your input.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Mary Anne Cook

I have been to Vietnam the last 2 Februries and have found nothing but friendliness for Americans. The last time I went with a Vietnam vet and he was impressed by the people. We were on a tour in Dalat with the son of a North Vietname soldier as guide and the driver was the son of a South Vietnamese soldier. You do not feel this division among the people of the region You must realize many of the older and young people were airlifted out in the 70ies to other countries-mainly US and many were killed so that leaves Vietnam with many young people who remember nothing of the conflict in the 60ies- 70ies. Vietnam I would love to visit many time because of the friendliness of the people and its beauty.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Andrea

I can only speak for Ho Chi Minh (Saigon), but when we were there in March, the only comments we received were from people who were very interested in the U.S. People were very friendly, and even when we toured the Chu Chi tunnels, the private guide (who had lived through the war) was very open and friendly.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:40 AM
xxx

We traveled throughout Vietnam earlier this year, and found everyone to be very friendly and welcoming. Several people, upon learning that we were Americans, offered their condolences regarding the September 11th tragedies.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 03:49 PM
Alan

Hi, USA!<BR>There are many reasons why you have absolutely nothing to worry about, but here are just three for starters:<BR>1. Vietnam is a country full of young people. Most of them are younger than you and were not even alive when the Vietnam War was being fought. It is ancient history. <BR>2. The "American War" (as the Vietnamese call it) is just one of a series. The Vietnamese have been invaded since the beginning of time. They have been occupied by everybody... the Chinese, the Japanese, the French, the Americans. Their whole history is resisting invasion. How many grudges can a country carry? Best to be pragmatic and forget the whole thing.<BR>3. The Vietnamese are no fools... they know that the US dollar is king, and that Americans are traditionally big spenders when they are on foreign soil. You carry more in your pocket every day than the average Vietnamese citizen sees in three months. Naturally, they will want to be especially nice to you so that you may feel inclined to spread a bit of that wealth around.<BR>Vietnam is a wonderful country, and the people are great. Don't give the war another thought... have a wonderful time, and DO spread some of that wealth around.... the people deserve it!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:45 AM
tt

ttt

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:40 AM
Lawrence

The problem with Vietnam is touts, and con-men! Everywhere I go went in Vietnam were 100s of people who hassled us constantly. It was impossible to walk down the street without being approached every few minutes.<BR><BR>We were happy to get back to the states!