Airline seat selection

Search

Airline seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Airline seat selection

Is it a smart move when selecting seats to pick an aisle and a window seat in hopes that the middle seat will end up being vacant since it's less desirable and you'll have three seats for the two of you? Presumably even if someone gets the middle seat, they'd be happy to trade it for an aisle. Has anyone used this strategy? Obviously it would only work if the plane's not full...
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My parents and all my relatives do this often. Sometimes if you're checking in with a live person on a near-full flight, they'll ask whether you want to sit together. Just politely say that you'd rather trade with the person in the middle seat after you board, on your own.

It's much easier for the airline clerk to assign a window or aisle seat to a single traveler, but you also have the rights to have seats that you like.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 01:11 PM

We use this strategy all of the time when flying coach - not out of the desire to get three seats for two but because we each have our preferences (aisle for me, window for her) - some times we get lucky (like last week on a flight to Hartford from Columbus, Ohio) where the middle seat remained unoccupied.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I might give it a try - I definitely prefer an aisle. And my daughter tends to like a window. And if we want to sit together, I can't imagine that the person in the middle would mind switching. I don't know of anybody who likes the middle seat!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:18 PM

We do try to strategize our way into getting an extra seat between us. I check the flight load on http://www.flyaow.com/classcwt.htm You can see how many seats are for sale in all visible fare classes - it doesn't show seats available for awards for miles. But, it does give you a general idea of load.

The back of the plane fills last, unless there are a high percentage of passengers with deeply discounted fares from consolidators and tour groups...in which case the back will look empty but will be chuck full after check in.

If a flight shows sold out in the few days before departure, I check often to see if the seat between us has been taken. If that happens, and I can't reseat us anywhere together, I call and have a person reseat us together. This has only happened once.

Another tip...many airlines leave the last two rows in the center of their 747-400 trans-Pacific flights blocked until check-in. If you can get these seats...each aisle seat with 2 empty in between, it is great. Beware, that if the flight is even close to full, a pair of passengers can easily be seated between you...but if the flight is empty, you get a whole row.

Other seats that I like are the front row of economy (747-400) on each side. The seats have lost a bit of side to side room as the tray is in the armrest, but I like that no one is in front of me. There is more legroom in my opinion there, though seatguru.com says there is less. One disadvantage is that the lavatory is right there, as is one of the galleys, but that doesn't bother me. You also are able to get off the plane before 300 other people when you sit there.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:31 PM

If you want to get into specifics, we can do that too. Since you're posting in the Asia forum, these are the planes that are commonly used for US-Asia flights:

747-400. Last 2-3 rows in coach is 2-4-2 seating. Those side seats are highly coveted, but excellent for two people traveling together.

777. Their seating is either 2-5-2 or 3-3-3 (unless you're flying China Southern). No problem with the former, but if it's 3-3-3, last row is often 2-3-2.

330 or 340. 2-4-2, so not a problem either.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:38 PM

on asia flights you will generally find all of them full.....this may not be the case with thai air's jfk flight but with most others this is true..