Search

air china

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 05:07 PM
carol

air china

we will be flying to china this summer on air china,any info on this airline?????? <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 03:08 AM
Andrea

What would you like to know? I'm an American living in China and I've been flying on Air China and other local airlines for 2 years with no problems. <BR> <BR>Ok, there are some problems, like on domestic flights sometimes they play the sound to the entertainment throughout the cabin instead of giving everyone headphones, and Chinese people tend to POP the little plastic bags with a washcloth inside to open them, but other than that, IMO it's like any other airline. Equally safe, equally clean, typical amount of room, service fine, food fine, movies really old and bad, etc. <BR> <BR>If you happen to be flying from Europe, you might be REALLY lucky and be on a code share with Air France. We did that once and it was GREAT (Air France plane one way).

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 04:51 AM
Michael

I've flown Air China several times also. They have been operating for over 40 years without an accident or major incident. As Andrea said, conditions on the airplane may not be "up to western standards", however they will get you there, and most likely on time.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Les

Carol, <BR>Air China looks good. <BR>Check this site: <BR>http://aviation-safety.net/database/operator/CCA.shtml

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:54 AM
Emily

I have flown on the local airlines a number of times over the years and always had a safe and pleasant flight. The only surprises, as the previous poster has mentioned, are those little "cultural differences" that make foreign travel so interesting. Once, the flight attendant passed out paper bags filled with marshmallows for our in-flight refreshment. Another time, the co-pilot left the cabin to draw the numbers for the official airline lottery ... my husband won a manicure set.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:06 AM
mimi

We flew Air China on five flights in Oct. and Nov. We had no trouble and the planes seemed safe enough. We did have flights where we were not assigned seats and had to wait in lines to get on the plane to choose seats. I still don't know what many of the snacks were.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Debbie

I am considering a trip to China. I am a terrible packer. I will need two suitcases for my 21 day tour. Are the China flights really picky on the 1 suitcase rule? even if I am with a tour? <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Gar

sorry, Michael, Your are wrong. ac have had a few accidents in the last years. some travel agencies said that there are two different "Air Chinas". The one that is doing international flights with very well trained stuff and new equipment, and the one who did domestic flights ... with no comment.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Les

Gar, <BR>I think you're confusing China Airlines with Air China. As I said in my previous reply, Air China looks good (look at http://aviation-safety.net/database/operator/CCA.shtml). <BR>China Airlines, on the other hand, is pretty scary (see http://airsafe.com/events/airlines/taiwan.htm).

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Michael

Yes Gar, you are somewhat confused. How do I know? I work for Boeing and Air China is a total Boeing customer. And, I have flown in China for the last 15 years. <BR> <BR>As Les said, China Air from Taipei/Taiwan has had accidents, not Air China from Beijing China

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 03:01 AM
Gar

sorry guys, <BR>I'm not confused aboput Air China and China Air (have used both). The problem of the difference between international and domestic flights is well known. also the bad trained pilots (english language, what the hell is that?)

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 03:48 PM
intruder

It's a waste of time reasoning with Gar. People who are not open-minded should stay home to be happy. The travel agents he spoke to are either ignorant or Gar does not remember what he was told.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 10:22 PM
Gar

what is this posting? a "make-china-airline-the-best-in-the-world"? I dont wanna make them more worse then they are but even dont wanna hear one hymn after the other. everybody is free to take this airline or not. and also everybody is free to give his experience and knowledge. in this case I'm not confused or ignorant. if You care for that what the experts says (like cockpit-members) and if You go with open eyes and ears through China (have You ever done a domestic flight) You can make Your own point of view.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:55 AM
Frank

But Gar, the point is, Air China and China Airlines are two different airlines. And I think you are messing up the airlines that run domestic routes in China. If you go to www.airsafe.com, it does say that Air China has no accident but the other domestic airlines in China do have some accidents in the past years...

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:31 PM
gar

Frank, as told, I went with both airlines – and China Airline runs in Taiwan, they shure do no domestic flights in China.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:13 PM
stella

Gar - Understand the China Air does not have domestic flights in China. But does Air China have both domestic and international flights?