After the Commonwealth Games

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am attending the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi in October. I will be working there but after the Games are over I will have about 7-10 days to myself to have a holiday. I am female travelling on my own and unsure how to get the best out of the time I have without trying to cram in too much. I would like to see the best of what India has to offer outside Delhi but I would also like to relax to rest from Games activity.

I have read a lot about India but still not sure where to go...Kerala sounds nice but so does Rajasthan, and many other places. I am sure this question has been asked many but where should I go, what should I see and do? The only stipulation in my planning is the trip must bring me back to Delhi to fly home to the UK.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM

I have just done a solo trip to India. I went to 3 areas in 6 weeks: Kerala, Goa and Rajastan. Any of these would suit your plan. I was glad not to be travelling completely alone for my first trip to India although I know of people who have found it no problem. I felt that the hassle of organising things and finding my way around the system would have outweighed the joy of travelling solo.

I joined a group for 2 of these trips, one in Kerala (GAP Adventures) and one in Rajastan (Intrepid). Both trips are good and we covered a lot of sights and experiences. These may not be your thing but I'm sure there will be other groups you could join if you wanted to.
If you want to relax and hang out, Goa is perfect and no need for a group there as it's easy to organise yourself. Just book a flight and hotel.

All 3 destinations have easy access to Delhi via Kingfisher and other airlines for your return trip.

Does this help?
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Gertie3751

This does indeed help. Did you feel safe while travelling around on your own? Did you go on a houseboat on the Kerala backwaters?
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Yes, I felt safe the whole time in India. Quite often I left my group and went out walking and sightseeing on my own or with local tuk tuk drivers.
In Goa I just booked a flight and hotel and spent the week sightseeing and on the beaches. There are tours available from hotels, it's easy to get about, plenty of restaurants etc.
Houseboats in Kerala are big business. We had just a day trip on the backwaters, we did the overnight in a 'homestay'. There are lots of alternative trips available.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM

If your experience is anything like mine on the last Commonwealth Games, you'll just want a beach and some nice people. Don't assume you'll be fresh and bouncing with energy!Smart move to pre-think and avoid the post Games blues. You will actually meet people... lol. I'm sure by the end of your stint you'll have some pals to travel with, even if it's just Goa. The real issue here is not what CAN you see, it'll be what do you WANT to see. Which might well be not very much at all by the end of things. Think holiday, not tourism.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, if you just want to chill, a houseboat in Kerala is a really good place to do it. Unfortunately, it's the kind of thing that works better (and certainly cheaper) with more than one. If you do go to Kerala, check out this place: www.malabarhouse.com
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Both big bucks tho', thursday. We single tragics get the sticky end of the rates. A houseboat for one, thru normal channels, seems to be in the $200 a night range. Correct me if I'm wrong. Unless our correspondant is a Gold Medallist, she may be on the lower end of the price scale. It occurs to me that a homestay in Kerala might be good.

Check this out:
http://www.mahindrahomestays.com/Pages/home.aspx
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Yes, in Kerala, for once, I wasn't solo - a friend flew out to meet me there for a couple of weeks. I think I got the houseboat a good bit cheaper than that, but I booked it in-country and it didn't have AC. The Malabar House was a Christmas splurge, and a great one, but it looks like the rates have more than doubled since 2001. Ouch!
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Folks

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

Dogstar: I was at the last CWGs too and never took time to myself before returning home. Not making that mistake this time.

I love the idea of a houseboat, I am just not so sure about being on it on my own.

I like the look of this place in Kochi and it gets good reviews - http://noahsarkcochin.com/
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Love it--Dogstar!
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 11:27 AM

http://www.keralaindiatravel.net/ker...-review-part-1

This is the homestay we used in Kerala. It gets good reviews.
The place in Cochin looks good but you might not want to stay there the whole time....
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Is it possible to do Goa and Kerala in one trip (7-10 days)? Do I need to rent a car? Is it easy to get around if I don't? My head is buzzing with all the info and I can't seem to put some sort of itinerary together to give me an idea where to go. Arggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Yes.

Train or plane for distance travel. See http://seat61.com/India.htm and http://www.indianrail.gov.in/ and e.g. Kingfisher. If you want a car for a day or two get one with a driver as well - your hotel or a travel agency can arrange it when you get there. Don't think about driving yourself in India, and make sure you're off the roads before dark.

Go look at some guidebooks - Fodors and Lonely Planet have suggested itineraries up front - adjust as needed.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Like Thursday said. There are no roads or cars in the Kerala Backwaters. You really do not want to drive yourself in India.
Once you arrive somewhere it's easy to got a car and driver, taxi, tuk tuk, whatever.
Goa and Kerala are doable in one trip but it would take away the 'chilling' aspect. If it were me I'd do a Backwaters + Cochin trip in the time you have.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Hi maple - I was on 'ceremonies' - what were you? Glad to see you're hearing me - it's a whirlwind, eh? CG and Olympics both need big-time R n' R afterwards. It'll all come down to what you want to spend.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dogstar

I was in the Athletes Village. The CWG and Olympics are indeed a whirlwind...I am not sure I have recovered from Vancouver yet, and that was 2 months ago!

I think I am coming round round more to what Gertie3751 suggests but a wee part of me keeps saying go to Goa.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM

If you collapse on a beach in Goa the scenery won't change (well, aside from the human parade). If you collapse on a houseboat in Kerala the scenery will change slowly while you watch.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM

There's something completely addictive about the experience, I agree. After the Olympics I went into the desert in Central Australia and spent a fortnight with the Pitjitjanjara guys. That was about right. lol.

It's actually gonna be all about beating the big 'DOWN' after the event. Gertie knows her stuff and her suggestions are spot on - but I'd add that post-Games blues factor. A solitary trip on a houseboat, coupled with some beach might be 100% perfect - but, after a few weeks of people, people, people, you may feel like more of the same. A sudden stop, suddenly adrift in a strange country may be a bit severe. There's a strange safety in being part of that big 'gang' - when it finishes you have to stay strong, as you well know. In which case - despite how much I loathe it, Goa may well be spot on.

The fact is that either option is incredibly easy, don't require any planning at all and can be sorted a coupla days earlier with a mobile phone and a lap-top. I'm still thinking that with a bit of non-planning, you can work something out with people you will meet during the Games - although, come to think of it, after CG in Melb, I was glad to see the back of them. lol.

A flight to Goa or Cochin is simple to sort out. Houseboat, taxis, etc you can get on the spot [or do it thru your accomodation - easier] Unless you're locked in on a certain boutiquey place to stay, you have many many options. No need to book it a million years ahead. India runs on a tight fuse.

Keep the options open. If your experience of meeting young
India en masse is anything like mine, you'll have many other ideas by the end of the Games.
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Gertie, Thursday & Dogstar....thank you for your comments/suggestions, they are all extremely helpful.

I am going to work on a possible itinerary and see what I come up with.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:34 AM
shj

I would not waste two days, flying down to Goa or Kerala.
Hire a car and driver in Delhi and head off to Rajasthan.Easy to find a car and driver in Delhi. Agra, Jaipur, and then up to Pushcar where you may time it to see the Camel fair.or, alternatively to the Shekjawati area to see the amazing havelis in this interesting area. Nawalgarh is a small town with beautiful Havelis. A good place to stay.
You are quite safe on your own. I have travelled on my own many times. I'm off to Delhi next week and then to Bandhavgarh to hopefully see Tigers in their natural environment. It is Hot over there now!!
Anyway have fun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -