"Affordable" Maldives hotel suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realise that affordable is subjective... We are tentatively thinking of doing a 4 day stop over in the Maldives on the way back to the UK from Sri Lanka, we normally like to splurge ( a little) on our hotels but looking at the prices for the Maldives it looks like for 4 or 5* hotel we would need to splurge A LOT.
My budget is around £450 per night. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any current deals? Time frame is back end of November. I should add that D has already said " he doesn't want to go if it means staying some where cheap!! LOL

Failing that we will stick with the first plan of a stop over in Dubai.

thanks in advance.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 10:44 PM

I'm curious to know how this nets out for you. As you know we originally entertained the idea of SL and the Maldives--but that was over Christmas when the prices are significantly higher. Also, during that time, almost all Maldives hotel required a 7 night minimum stay which essentially completely ruled the idea of going there out. That said, even without all that working against us, I still found the per night prices a bit nuts at some of those places. I don't think any are necessarily cheap but I'm sure you could find something within your budget (especially if you're willing to be waterfront and not over the water--that's where the cost triples and quadruples).

The one I really wanted to stay at, after looking at many, many hotels was Gili Lankanfushi. I think its style would definitely suit you. Not sure how much more it is (vs your budget) in November.

Glad Muffin is talking some sense! Wouldn't want to have you both staying with a bunch of slags at the Y, now would we?

Oh, how I was we were vacationing with you again. So much fun with you kids...
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 10:45 PM

That last sentence should say "...how I wish we were vacationing..."
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 11:13 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you looked at Bandos? Spouse goes there every year for diving, loves the place. Much less expensive than most other options in the Maldives...considerably less than your budget, but you certainly won't be sleeping in a hammock.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 04:38 AM

Take a look at the Dusit Maldives. Have heard that the Thai food is awesome and the resort is not bad.

http://www.dusit.com/dusit-thani/maldives.html
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

FW your post made me laugh SO hard... Heaven forbid Muffin should while away his hols with a bunch of slaaaags at the Y!!!

I really don't know if I can make the Maldives work, it's not the per night cost it's going to be the ( overpriced) costs of the good and then there are the transfers. And whilst I am sure it's fab I just not somewhere I want to spend over £700 per day......

I will look at the above though guys just in case so many many thanks for the suggestions.
FW - wishing we were sharing our hols with you both again too
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Argggh this apple key pad that should say overpriced costs of the FOOD!
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 12:40 PM

I've also been looking at the Maldives, but, as you say, the transfers alone are outrageous, as well as the food, etc. etc. A shame , because it does look lovely, lovely, lovely.