adding beaches to thailand trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short Version: Are two nights in either Phuket or Koh Samui for 2 nights worth it or would it not really be worth the extra airport transfers?

We had 5 nights in Chiang Mai (Feb 11-16) after visit to Bangkok as part of our first trip to SE Asia. Was thinking of doing trek/hikes/excursion outside of CM while there, but now researching further re smog and other issues not too keen on this. Normally we are not the pace of traveler who would spend 5 nights in CM alone. I can add either trip to Samui or Phuket, from Bangkok, with then an easy direct flight to Chiang Mai on 13th, without disrupting our plans too much. Leaning towards Samui just because airport + transfers look less stressful.

Initially we left out beaches/southern Thailand saying we would save it for another trip (not exactly beach lovers).. but realistically won't be back for years/decades, would it be a shame to visit Thailand missing coastline/beaches? Or is a quick stop in an international beach resort not really going to add much to our 'Thai experience'
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 11:56 AM

Last sentence. I don't think it'll add anything Thai.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 02:26 PM

The beaches are lovely, but they won't give you a "Thai" experience. They are international beach resorts.

If it were me - and it isn't - I would re-think the Chiang Mai portion of the trip. I'd probably substitute a more compelling destination, like Angkor.

But two nights in Samui or Phuket yields just one day. That wouldn't be worth the bother to me, but only you can say whether it is worth the bother to you.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for feedback! We are going to Angkor after Chiang Mai... so I guess will keep original schedule and just chill out a bit in Chiang Mai and slow down a bit there
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 04:36 PM

You could got Hau Hin. It is a 3 hr drive from BKK. Some nice hotels and beaches done there, but not as far. You could have most of two days if you left early and stayed late. Good roads down. Hire a driver .
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 11:40 PM

70kms south of Hua Hin you'll find the provincial laid back town of Prachuap Khiri Khan. Not a lot of tourists there [yet].

There, you'll find a beach called Ao Maneo. It's set in a unique position inside the Wing 5 Royal Thai Air Force Base. The beach is in a beautiful bay, and if you visit Monday to Thursday there'll be very few people using it. The beach is also immaculate, maintained by young airman.

The beach had plenty of shade, deck chairs, and several eateries right across the road.

We went for a week, staying close to the Air Base, and hired pushbikes to get there. Just had to sign in and out at the Main Gate. Even had to cycle across the runway to get to the beach!

Got to Prachuap KK by train from Bangkok [Hualamphong]. The 0809 No43 train takes about 4 hours [also stops at Hua Hin], and includes lunch. Reserved seats in person a couple of days beforehand. Cost 410 baht a ticket.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 10:19 AM

I am confused as to exactly what you are planning. Are you planning to avoid Chiang Mai completely, or just reduce your time there? If you are concerned about the smog then there seems little point in going to the north at all. You would be better off just heading south.

We were there in late feb / early march and the air quality was awful. People were wearing gas masks on the streets. It maybe the same next year, maybe not. There is no way of determining how good or bad it may be as it does vary dramatically form year to year

As for Phuket v KS - personally I would avoid both as being way to over developed and it hardly seems worth the effort for two nights. Khao Lak is perhaps a more pleasant alternative - but it is a two hour drive from Phuket airport

Hua Hin is ok if you just want some beach time in a decent hotel but otherwise the town has little to offer. Prachuap Kiri Khan is not worth it just for a couple of days. Sam Roi Yot National park is close by those and well worth a visit
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 10:21 PM

<<<Prachuap Kiri Khan is not worth it just for a couple of days.>>>

The town has very few tourists, and worth a couple of days simply for that chilled Thai provincial town feeling. The long seafront and pier, plus a stroll up Monkey Mountain and the 360 degree views from the top are a bonus.

And Monday to Thursday, Ao Maneo is a gem...

http://www.prachuapkhirikhan.org/win...ir-force-base/

A couple of days is a long time, considering some people whizz through 4 SE Asian countries in 3 weeks!
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 10:46 PM

I would not consider any side trip for 2 days only... All your time would be traveling... I would pick a nice bkk hotel like Anantara riverside and spend the 2 days there admiring the river traffic and the fab pool.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 03:00 AM

2 nights = 3 days.

4 hour by road [max] door-to-door each way.

Arrive by lunch on day 1, begin return after lunch on day 3. Easy peasy, Two full days on a lovely beach [Monday to Thursday].

I'd prefer the train, but it takes a bit longer.